Hurricane Dorian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arch Hoagland

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Posts
3,706
Location
Clovis California
Gary RV_Wizard said:
"I think the political and media pressure have had a severely negative effect on the usefulness of hurricane forecasts."

I agree 1,000% 
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,587
Location
Davison Michigan
There is a graphic on face book that actually is true. The weather forcaster on TV is warning everyone to get outta town and head to safe ground (A shelter outside the storm area).. But he adds. "For those of you who deny science and believe it is iall fake.. Stay put and enjoy the storm" or words to that effect.

Sadly there are those who WILL do just that.. and many of them will simply Disappear.

The good news. Emergency communications are already in place. have been for a long, long time.  And though I'll be sitting out this hurricane here in MI.... I'm part of that network along with several thousands of others across this great nation.
 

Oldgator73

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Posts
3,088
Folks have been told to evacuate during forest fires and there are those that refuse. Folks are told to evacuate during flooding and some refuse. Folks are told they need to evacuate because a hurricane is headed that way and some refuse. It?s okay to refuse to leave your home but know that you will either be laughing at those that did or you will be dead. You choose.
 

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Posts
72,955
Location
At our Silver Springs FL home
"Evacuate" is easy advice to give but a difficult and expensive decision to undertake.  Uncertainty is a big part of what makes it so difficult.  Uncertain if the severe part of the storm will actually hit your area and uncertain where to go to get out of the way.  Plus it's a major financial and logistic decision. Nobody would sweat the money and hassle if the danger was a sure thing, but a large percentage of those in the potential path will in fact be in little or no danger at all.  Last, evacuating ahead of time doesn't solve one significant piece of the problem: protecting your home and business.
We've lived in Florida 42 years and each year there are 3-5 warnings that our lives are in danger.  In that time, about 6 storms actually hit close to our home and only 2 of those caused damage. None life-threatening, I might add. That doesn't mean we take the storms lightly, but we don't run away screaming either.  Another bit of irony: There have been 3 other occasions when a hurricane came close enough to threaten us, one of them enough so that we did actually evacuate. Those 3 were in upstate NY, central PA, and western NC. Not Florida.  ???
 

Lou Schneider

Site Team
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Posts
10,817
Oldgator73 said:
Folks have been told to evacuate during forest fires and there are those that refuse. Folks are told to evacuate during flooding and some refuse. Folks are told they need to evacuate because a hurricane is headed that way and some refuse. It?s okay to refuse to leave your home but know that you will either be laughing at those that did or you will be dead. You choose.

One old man refused to believe Mt. St. Helens was a threat and refused to leave his Spirit Lake home when the evacuation orders were issued.  He made national headlines for a few days, laughing at those who fled.

Then not only his house but the entire lake vanished in a matter of seconds when the volcano erupted.
 

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
15,629
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
It looks like Dorian will made the right hand turn all of Florida was hoping for. It has been slowing down as it trys to turn north. This is the most beautiful looking eye I have ever seen, almost perfectly formed. I am sure the long time residents here have seen better.
 

Attachments

  • dorian.jpeg
    dorian.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7

LarsMac

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2015
Posts
1,437
Location
Colorado Plains
That may not bode well for the folks in the Carolinas.
Without the Bahamas to slow things up a bit, there is nothing but open water until it hits the Carolina Shores.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,587
Location
Davison Michigan
I remember several hurricanes ago one sheriff ask those remaining to write their SS or Driver's license number on their arm in magic marker... Make 'em easier to ID when the body is recovered.
 

Hfx_Cdn

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Posts
3,733
Location
Nova Scotia
    Tom, we have clear skies, and a prediction of being able to see the Northern Lights toning here in Nova Scotia.  I don't doubt that your sunset will be gorgeous, the rara display of the Aurora this far south is usually impressive, and I have not see them since I was a kid.

Ed
 

Arch Hoagland

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Posts
3,706
Location
Clovis California
John From Detroit said:
I remember several hurricanes ago one sheriff ask those remaining to write their SS or Driver's license number on their arm in magic marker... Make 'em easier to ID when the body is recovered.

Maybe people who live in Florida should have to wear dog tags like we did in the service.
 

catblaster

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Posts
2,697
Location
Kissimmee, Floriduh
John From Detroit said:
I remember several hurricanes ago one sheriff ask those remaining to write their SS or Driver's license number on their arm in magic marker... Make 'em easier to ID when the body is recovered.

  I do that when I go to walmart !!
 

ChasA

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Posts
1,886
SeilerBird said:
Dorian has made the right hand turn all of Florida was hoping for. It has also slowed down as it made the turn north. This is the most beautiful looking eye I have ever seen, almost perfectly formed. I am sure the long time residents here have seen better.
I am sitting here watching reports that the storm is still heading west, toward Florida with 185 mph winds. It is expected to stall over Grand Bahama Island later today and then turn northward. I remember Andrew was supposed to turn northward too. But it didn't. My brother will attest to that.
 

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
15,629
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
ChasA said:
I am sitting here watching reports that the storm is still heading west, toward Florida with 185 mph winds. It is expected to stall over Grand Bahama Island later today and then turn northward. I remember Andrew was supposed to turn northward too. But it didn't. My brother will attest to that.
You are correct of course Chas. I was thinking that the track shows it finally turning north. All last week it was shown coming straight into Florida.
 

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
15,629
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
Hfx_Cdn said:
    Tom, we have clear skies, and a prediction of being able to see the Northern Lights toning here in Nova Scotia.  I don't doubt that your sunset will be gorgeous, the rara display of the Aurora this far south is usually impressive, and I have not see them since I was a kid.

Ed
I am jealous, I have never seen the Northern Lights. (Well actually I have but that is another story)
 

ChasA

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Posts
1,886
I just saw a picture on TV of hundreds of power company trucks gathering in Wildwood, Florida, ready to deploy. Very impressive.
 
Top Bottom