Hurricane UT as alternate site for Moab May1, 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wendycoke said:
I know some of you say that money is no object but for some of us, it matters. And with $50 sites (a 33% increase from Portal), Mike and I will skip a Zion rally. Maybe we can get a "frugal" group staying in Zion NP.

Wendy
Durango CO

We will do Moab and Torrey but not interested in Hurricane or Bryce.  Been both places several times.  Even been on the back side of Bryce.

I'm with you Wendy.  Money IS now becoming an object for us, and this trip coming up will be the first time since we started RVing that we will be dipping into our savings.  The high price of cgs along with the huge increase in gas will probably make this one our last LONG trip.  We will have to do much more boon-docking along the way, than we have had to in the past.  Prices have gone so far out of sight, and our pensions have not increased, so we will have to be VERY creative to make ends meet.  We will not curtail our travel, as it will be the first time in our son's military career, that we will be able to spend any reasonable amount of time with him and his family.  We will not short-change that opportunity. 

Zion RV and Moab will be out for us, but we would consider Torrey and a few of the other places.  But a year is too far out for us to be any more definite about plans.  We'll wait to see how things fall out and how our finances measure up by next year.
Maybe we'll win the lottery    ;D  ::)  ;)
Cheers,  Daisy

wendycoke said:
I know some of you say that money is no object but for some of us, it matters.

Thank you for speaking to that issue, Wendy.    With the increased price of fuel, campground fees and even food escalating rapidly, many people are feeling "the pinch".   Since we've beem retired since 1986, we've definitely had to tighten our belts.  (Not to mention put a cork in our diesel tank!  :D)  

I would hope as many people as possible could participate in forum rallies, as we were able to do back when dirt was new and fuel was relatively cheap  ;).  The friendships we were fortunate to have made are long lastiing and our memories of forum rallies linger on.  :D

Margi

Betty Brewer said:
I've combed their web site and I am sold.  I think many of us would love this resort. 

Way cool.  The 2009 Virgin RV Forum Rally.  ;D  I can't miss that. 

Phil

Having previously been the recipient of much wrath as a result of suggesting alternate rally sites, I hasten to clarify that I've not made any such suggestion with regard to Moab  ;)

I will admit to having been initially surprised by the prices I saw on that web site, but figured I'd wait to see what others plan to do before deciding if we'd attend at that location. Like several others, a year is way beyond our planning horizon. Heck, a friend called yesterday and asked what we were doing on the Memorial Day weekend (this year), and I replied that I hadn't planned that far ahead.

Tom said:
Having previously been the recipient of much wrath as a result of suggesting alternate rally sites, I hasten to clarify that I've not made any such suggestion with regard to Moab  ;)

Tom,

Betty's suggestion for the RV park in Virgin does not eliminate the Moab Rally the last weekend of April.

There may not be as many rigs at the Portal in 2009 but, the number probably won't be zero.  Car Show Weekend is popular.  :)

Phil

Phil,

I'm not part of the rally planning committee  ;)

If we go to Utah next year, our primary purpose will be for fishing. If we're able to join one or more rallies, that will be a bonus. Regrettably, we had to cancel both this year due to unforeseen issues.

I was going to suggest Virgin RV Resort. I isn't cheap, but it is closer to Zion which is what we would be most interested in visiting again.

Sheila and I along with Judy and Ollie are ready to sign up for four days as the first stop.

Is the start date going to be 5/1/2009?  If so we will sign up to arrive on 5/2/09 to through the night 5/5/09 leaving on Weds 5/6/09.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Is the start date going to be 5/1/2009?  If so we will sign up to arrive on 5/2/09 to through the night 5/5/09 leaving on Weds 5/6/09.

Ken,
I missed my call with the Resort yesterday so I don't know the dates they can accomodate a group. I am going to ask that our group days be exactly as you stated.  4 nights there should be plenty of fun. So far I see 5 rigs "committed" to a Zion Rally at Virgin and a few possibles to stay nearby at National Park and join up with us for activities.  I'm soooooooo excited about this!

Betty

What about some of us at the NPS park in Zion and some at the RV park in Virgin and we have events at both? You know those who are staying at the RV park will want to tour Zion. And you know that the ones staying at Zion will want to partake of happy hour at the RV park? Just a thought.
Wendy
Cortez CO

Wendy,

Any idea of the limitations of the NPS park in Zion? Size, low trees, etc.

TIA.

Haven't been to Watchman in 10 years but they do have electric sites, some with 50 amp, some with 30 amp. Site size (according to reserveamerica.com) include 24-, 40-, and 50-foot length, $24 (half off with GA). So, again, advance reservations would be a must. Trees, nps.gov/zion says "This part of the park is desert.  There are few trees to provide relief from the heat."Sounds pretty satellite friendly to me but I really dunno. Maybe I need to go visit my Utah sister with a stopover in Zion?

Wendy
home in Cortez

Thanks Wendy.

FWIW my "low trees" question wasn't related to being satellite friendly, although it will be a concern for some folks. I was thinking of low trees being an issue for access. Sounds like those sites will accommodate most, if not all, folks here.

Maybe I need to go visit my Utah sister with a stopover in Zion?

Be sure to post a report if you visit that campground.

Thanks again.

Paul & Linda DeMars and Peg & I stayed at watchman in 2002. I don't remember any low trees. Part of the campground then had trees and wouldn't be satellite friendly but the rest of it had open sites. I remember it as being a nice campground and an easy walk to the shuttle terminal. We didn't have any problems with our 38' coaches.

Virgin river rallye 2009

For those who want to stay at the Park campgrounds the following.
On our way to Moab last month we wanted to stay at the Watchman campground. The ranger at the park entrance told us that there were still places availabl, however driving through the campside loops there were only tent places left. This was at 6.30 pm. Trees are no problem for driving through but may be a problem at some sides for satelite reception.
There is a dump at the campground
Watchman Campground is open all year. Fees $ 16 at night, $18 per night with electric hookups. $20 per night for river sites (half price for holders of Golden Age/Access Passports and Interagency Senior/Access Passes. Reservations may be made for Watchman Campground six month in advance for March 20-October 25; on line at www.recreation.gov, or call 877-444-6777. Sites are first-come, first-served for the period October 25-early April.

chris

Hi Betty,

When you have firm dates for the Zion RV Resort we like to attend and make reservations.
If by then diesel fuel prices are over $ 6.00 a gallon we may stay at the National Park Campground, if over $ 7.00 we stay home and have a for Sale sign on the morothome ;D

chris

chrpennings said:
If by then diesel fuel prices are over $ 6.00 a gallon we may stay at the National Park Campground, if over $ 7.00 we stay home and have a for Sale sign on the morothome ;D

If gas prices go over $7/gallon, we'll draw a circle on the map 50 miles out from the house and all our RV trips will be within that radius !!

Wendy
home in Cortez

Tim and I stayed at Watchman a year ago last New Years and it went down to 14 degrees.  It was great!!!  You can make reservations and they do have electric only sites.  In the winter it is first come/first serve.  Some sites are open....some in shade; most sites were back in.  They also have a very nice dump station and water fill area.  We love Zion.    I can't remember if there is a group area, but that could be check out.

FWIW, Tim and I love checking out new areas, so we were getting ready for a change from Portal.  We will be very interested in the Hurricane/Zion area.  We'd also like to do Bryce. 

I think we may see a different scenerio in the next few years.  With gas/diesel getting so expensive, I don't think many will be traveling long distances and we may see more "local" rallys popping up with smaller number of rigs, where people stay closer to home.  Not that that's a bad thing; but the dynamics may likely change.

Marsha~

Marsha~

It's not very far between Zion River RV and Watchman, about 14 miles.  There are a number of interesting restaurants and shops between the two including a giant farm store. The watchman NPS CG is just inside the entrance to Zion and next to the major parking lot.

Al

Back
Top Bottom