Hydraulic Fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

I've got two systems on my MH that use hydraulic fluid -- the leveler jacks and the slideout.

I checked with the manufacturer of the leveler jacks [Equalizer Systems] and they said to use Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.  [The most-used automobile automatic transmission fluid.]

The general manual that came with the MH says to use "ten-(10) weight hydraulic fluid" for the slideout hydraulics.  Would Dexron III qualify as that?  If not, where would I get that?

Dextron III is used in ours and most of the others that I know of.

From what I have read and comprehended on the subject, ATF is roughly equivalent to a 10 weight oil in viscosity. There are different designations/specs used by the different automatic transmission manufacturers, but apparently they all use roughly the same viscosity.

My MH has one reservoir for both the slides and the jacks. It is a DeWald system made by PowerGear. The factory recommends  ATF in both single and dual reservoirs, and notes that mixing of 10W/Hyd fluid and ATF is NOT recommended.

BTW.....If you have a Dewald or any other slide/hyd jack system made by PowerGear, they have a great website with more info than I will ever use including online operators manuals and parts and service manuals.

Link    http://www.powergearus.com/

I had bought some Dexron III and kept it in MH storage.  Today, I was going to add some to my hydraulic fluid reservoir.  Before I did, however, I pulled a little of the original fluid out and looked at it.  It was a pretty violet color.  All ATF fluid I've ever seen, including the Dexron III that I had, is a reddish brown color. 

I put a little of the two fluids together in a bowl and they seemed to mix together okay, but I'm hesitant now to dump the Dexron III fluid into the reservoir.  Does violet color hydraulic fluid ring a bell with anyone?

Here's the reply I got from the leveler jack company when I described the fluid to them...

I believe Gulf Stream sometimes uses a product called 'CASTROL Super Blue' hydraulic fluid. You would need to contact G.S. to verify.

Sounds like DEXRON has been mixed with it. That shouldn't cause a problem.

Rush Egelsky
Equalizer Technical Help Desk

Hmmm...  The only "super blue" I can find on the Internet is ATE Super Blue brake fluid...

Castrol does make a couple of "blue" products like Pyroplex Blue and Castrol Blue Hydraulic Plus, but both are for HEAVY off-road equipment like those huge earth movers and mining equipment. The first is a grease; the second a hydraulic fluid.

If in doubt, why not drain and refill with Dexron?  It shouldn't be too difficult or expensive. Even if you don't purge the lines to the cylinders, you would end up with 80-90% Dexron.

I would add that after filling the the holding tank,  allow the unit to sit overnight before working the jacks.  sometimes the flow just a bit better after they've set for a while,  Not always, but most of the time it will be a smoother flow to the jacks.  I think it's because the small bbbles that occur when filling, gather at the top of the tank better and if you have a leak it will really bubble.  Jmo

Back
Top Bottom