Hydraulic Jack Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimic

When I raise my leveling jacks the alarm stays on.  I expected to find a stuck micro switch and to be able to "unstick" it thus clearing the alarm.  On inspection I can't see any switch at all.  I am getting ready for an 800 mile trip this weekend and would REALLY like it much better without that blasted bell.  Any thoughts, besides ear plugs?

The main switch for our jacks has a center OFF position. The alarm stays on until the driver moves the switch to OFF. The system also alarms for other reasons, such as a jack not fully retracted.

A common cause for the jack alarm is jacks not fully retracted or low hydraulic fluid.  Usually the fluid level in the reservoir is measured by a sensor to determine if jacks are fully retracted.  If the fluid is low then the sensor will detect this and sound the alarm.  Check fluid level with jacks fully retracted and add fluid to the level called for in owners manual.

The Jacks are all of the way up.  The fluid is at Max. when the coach is not running and just below when it is.  I will try adding a little fluid to see if it is indeed that sensitive.  Thanks.

Mimic,

You didn't say which leveling system you have. Ours is a RVA Model JII. In the instruction manual it says if the alarm won't go off with the jacks fully retracted to lower ONE jack six inches. Then fill the reservoir until the alarm stops.

The instruction manual should give some troubleshooting suggestions it that doesn't fix it.

Good luck.

MIne is also an RVA JII.  I tried your suggestion without success.  It is going to be a long trip tomorrow with that BLASTED bell ringing! 

mimic said:
MIne is also an RVA JII.  I tried your suggestion without success.  It is going to be a long trip tomorrow with that BLASTED bell ringing!

The only other thing I can think of is the sensor may be bad. I don't know if it is a normally closed or open sensor. Try disconnecting a wire from the sensor and see if the alarm stops. If not maybe shorting the wires will stop it. That would get you through the trip. Just make sure you check that the jacks are up and not leaking down during the trip. Then make sure it gets fixed when you get back.

That one is easy.. Jacks are POWER GEAR right (not HWH)

Power Gear uses a float valve in the reservor,  When it gets cooler out the jack oil (ok tranny fuiid) contracts at a faster rate than the metal housing so the level goes down, down, down.

And when it goes down enough the system thinks the jacks are Down, Down, Down, and thus alarms

Solution is to top off the reservor, and always keep a bottle of the proper Dextron handy for when you need to top it off again

Our HWH does the same thing.  Always carry a couple of quarts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom