Hydro Flame Furnace Squeak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarmerCharlie

The Hydro Flame 8535-11 furnace in my RV has developed a squeak when the fan runs.  I need to try something temporary, so I can run the furnace to prevent the pipes freezing tonight. The squeak starts low and then gets very loud.  Can anyone tell me if I can get the motor out and lubricate it temporarily?  I took off the cover and the plastic shroud, and it looks like the motor has two squirrel cage fans (a small one to the right for combustion air I guess and a larger one to the left for the room circulation I expect).  The fan turns freely by hand, and the cage does not bind.

I did find a previous post from several years ago on another forum, but I couldn't quite figure it out based on that.  I took a couple of pictures,  and attached one here.  If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Otherwise I may be replacing some pipes tomorrow. ")

The dealer said a replacement would be $120, and it would take several days to get it.

Attachments

• HS_P1250013.jpg
    HS_P1250013.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 36
I found a very helpful article in the library here. It looks very similar to mine, and I'll give it a try.  In the meantime, any suggestions are still welcome.
[edit]Fixed link.[/edit]

Charlie:

I had a similar problem with our Hydroflame and learned (the hard way) that the only problem was that the motor/fan assembly was not aligned properly and would rub on the surrounding body. The fan/motor is held in alignment by a radiator clamp around the bearing on the left end of the motor.

After replacing the fan and having the same problem I resolved it by loosening the clamp and realigning the motor.

Thanks.  I'll check that out before I spend the money for a new motor.  I'm off to the hardware store to go ahead and get a new set of Allen wrenches.  When I get the motor out, can I test it with a 12 volt battery?

Take a close look at your photo. Looks like that piece of duct tape on the blower cover is being rubbed by the blower. Could that be where the noise is coming from? Mayabe there was a gasket under the cover that someone removed, and now there's not enough clearance?

You DO NOT have to remove the motor to check alignment. Remove the door and slowly rotate the fan with your fingers. IF you hear any rubbing noise you can remove the shroud and loosen the clamp that is right center of the motor/fan assembly and adjust the alignment. You can also realign the shroud by loosening a couple of screws.

Jeff Cousins said:
You DO NOT have to remove the motor to check alignment. Remove the door and slowly rotate the fan with your fingers.
[...]
I did that after reading an earlier post.  It turns with no noise when I turn it by hand, although it doesn't turn as freely as I would expect.  When I first turn on the power, it squeaks slightly, but then progresses quickly to a loud screech that sounds like a bearing about to seize.

I plugged in an electric heater and made it through the night without the pipes freezing.  Now I have a few days of good weather to deal with this.

Karl said:
Take a close look at your photo. Looks like that piece of duct tape on the blower cover is being rubbed by the blower.
[...]
The tape I think you are talking about is just a piece of tape I used to hold the shroud up while I worked on it.  Is that the one (circled in red on the attached image)?

Attachments

• HS_P1250013_tape_QuarterScale.jpg
    HS_P1250013_tape_QuarterScale.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22
FarmerCharlie said:
The Hydro Flame 8535-11 furnace in my RV has developed a squeak when the fan runs.
[...]
I finally got the motor out.  The solution was to loosen the set screw on the left cage, and then rotate the two cages against each other until the left one finally broke loose.  Then I re-tightened it, loosened the set screw on the right cage, and repeated the counter-rotating until that one finally broke loose.  Getting the motor past the connector that sticks partly through the clamp was a bit of a challenge--trying not to break or bend anything.

The bearings look sealed to me, but I did squirt a little oil on them.  I probably will go ahead and order a replacement, since this one is probably about 14 years old.

When I am done with this, would it be worthwhile for me to post a how-to with pictures?  That would have helped me.

Back
Top Bottom