I-10 through Louisiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Stephens

Has anyone traveled this interstate in the past month or so that can tell me if it is still in as bad a shape as it was five years ago? We encountered a stretch of road about 30 miles long between Baton Rouge and Lafayette that was so bad, it made our generator bottom out on its four springs and sever the conduit to the transfer switch, leaving us with no power for a cross country trip. I swore I would never take that road again until it was repaired.

In another month, we will be taking another trip out West and I have intentionally plotted a course taking I-20 instead of I-10 in order to get through Louisiana. It will take us considerably out of our way but will be worth it if we can avoid that highway. But before we leave and take that route, I am interested in determining if I-10 is still in the same shape, or if the state has finally done something about it. The slabs of concrete had all lifted up at the edges, creating a bouncing effect that forces you to slow down. I took that road at 25 mph and still had damages. In all of my travels across the country, I have never encountered a section of interstate road as bad as this.

I'll appreciate anyone being able to give me up-to-date information about I-10, but I'm not looking for info that is already a year old. If anyone has taken that road in the past month or so, please share your experience.

Has anyone traveled this interstate in the past month or so that can tell me if it is still in as bad a shape as it was five years ago? We encountered a stretch of road about 30 miles long between Baton Rouge and Lafayette that was so bad, it made our generator bottom out on its four springs and sever the conduit to the transfer switch, leaving us with no power for a cross country trip. I swore I would never take that road again until it was repaired.

In another month, we will be taking another trip out West and I have intentionally plotted a course taking I-20 instead of I-10 in order to get through Louisiana. It will take us considerably out of our way but will be worth it if we can avoid that highway. But before we leave and take that route, I am interested in determining if I-10 is still in the same shape, or if the state has finally done something about it. The slabs of concrete had all lifted up at the edges, creating a bouncing effect that forces you to slow down. I took that road at 25 mph and still had damages. In all of my travels across the country, I have never encountered a section of interstate road as bad as this.

I'll appreciate anyone being able to give me up-to-date information about I-10, but I'm not looking for info that is already a year old. If anyone has taken that road in the past month or so, please share your experience.

We had heard similar dire warnings about I-10 when traveling through that area on our journey last year. We picked up 10 East of Houston and wandered East all the way to FL using I-10 most of the way. Was pleasantly surprised as overall, save for perhaps a few short sections, the road was fine.

Perhaps they were so distressed to hear of your experience previously that they got their butts in gear and made improvements. :)

The stretch between mile 117 at the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge and about mile 105 at Lafayette is what you're referring to. I used to drive that several times a year, and it was hands-down the worst stretch of Interstate I've ever seen, especially Westbound.
While I haven't been through there since 2018, that year they were starting to work on it, at least the Eastbound lanes.
Google's latest StreetView imagery is from mid-2019 and shows the entire stretch under construction in both directions.
Hopefully someone here will have a more up-to-date report.

You might want to re-think the I-20 route. The are in and around Shreveport is horrible. Our class A actually broke hinge in the overhead cabinets and latches on a lot of cabinet doors in that stretch of road. Interstates in Louisiana are generally in poor condition.

Finding out that I-10 has been repaired in the area that caused us issues in 2015 allowed me to replan my itinerary last night. I'll plan on taking I-10 instead of I-20 and hope for the best.

Thanks to everyone who responded with good information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom