I-57 vs I-65 from Nashville to Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PetePup

We are traveling from Florida to Chicago in our motorhome for the first time.  Every map I pull takes us I-57 out of Nashvillle into Chicago.  However when I look on the atlas, it appears that I-65 would be the same distance, if not a little shorter.  Does it make a difference which one we take?  I know that 65 goes through both Louisville & Indianapolis while 57 doesn't go through any big cities.  Is one better vs. the other to travel via motorhome?  Any opinions?

The best reason to take I-57 is that you bypass the Indiana Tollroad and I-80, both horrendous parking lots in the Gary, IN area.

I much prefer I-57.  Seems to me to be less traffic.  I-24 through Nashville is a white knuckle drive most anytime.

Try 65 once  and I garruntee you that you will take 57 from then after even with all the construction on 57 that never seems to quit.  Traveled both many times.

Glenn said:
I much prefer I-57.? Seems to me to be less traffic.? I-24 through Nashville is a white knuckle drive most anytime.

I lived in Nashville (Old Hickory) and still go there to visit family and friends. I do not take I-24 through downtown Nashville. Instead I come up I-24 from Chattanooga? as far as 440 and take it west to 40 west for one exit to Briley Parkway and then Briley back to I-24. This avoids all the construction downtown as well as the congestion, etc.? Then go I-57 as the better way as Bernie says to avoid hours long waits on the grand parking lots of the approaches to Chicagoland.

I should say this is my morning route. I stage my entry by staying at the KOA in Manchester, TN that is about 50 miles from Nashville the night before. (It's an above average KOA) I leave there at approx. 9 AM thus arriving at the I-440 flyover at ~9:45. Traffic is still backed-up on I-24 but not usually far back enough to block the exit. 

Back
Top Bottom