I-70 through/around Indianapolis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Last time we were headed East to Columbus, OH via our regular route, I-70 was closed for major construction on the East side of Indianapolis. Bypassing the construction wasn't pretty - we were dumped on surface streets and GPS took us around several loops in the city before we finally found a ramp to I-70 on the East side. On our return trip, we took country roads that were clogged.

Looks like I-70 is still shut down. Anyone familiar with the area know of a good route to avoid this mess? I'm currently thinking of routing via I-74/I-71. Any other suggestions?

TIA.

Thanks. So, I'd pick up I-40 around Oklahoma City? Where do you turn North to get to Columbus?
Oops, just realized your said US 40, not I-40. Where do get back on I-70?

US 40 and I-70 run parallel to each other between the two cities. Sometimes the two roads are within sight of one another. You’ll have many choices to get back on I-70 if you want to do that. Maybe somewhere between Indy and Dayton, Ohio, once you get east of the construction. If you’re not in a hurry, just stay on 40 all the way to Columbus.

Tom, we live in Hilliard.

US 40 and I-70 run parallel to each other between the two cities. Sometimes the two roads are within sight of one another. You’ll have many choices to get back on I-70 if you want to do that. Maybe somewhere between Indy and Dayton, Ohio, once you get east of the construction. If you’re not in a hurry, just stay on 40 all the way to Columbus.
A big thanks!

Tom, I live in the area, and deal with this mess. Easiest way seriously is come in I-70 E, and detour around the city on 465. Let google maps tell you what is best, north side loop or southside loop. Southside loop connects to 65 south, can get congested during peak traffic, but typically is the faster way. Ideal time to do this is between 9am and 3pm e. For us locals, we know what city streets to wiggle through should we want to bypass downtown. If you want to investigate, come into downtown on 70E, get off on Washington / 40. Turn right, E, go maybe 3 miles to Rural. Turn left, N, and it will take you back to 70E to carry on. Again, 9am - 3pm.

Tom, I live in the area, and deal with this mess. Easiest way seriously is come in I-70 E, and detour around the city on 465. Let google maps tell you what is best, north side loop or southside loop. Southside loop connects to 65 south, can get congested during peak traffic, but typically is the faster way. Ideal time to do this is between 9am and 3pm e. For us locals, we know what city streets to wiggle through should we want to bypass downtown. If you want to investigate, come into downtown on 70E, get off on Washington / 40. Turn right, E, go maybe 3 miles to Rural. Turn left, N, and it will take you back to 70E to carry on. Again, 9am - 3pm.
Thanks Spencer. I'll try to time the passage between the hours you suggest. I'll also do more research on google maps before leaving home. Last trip, trying to find our way out of the downtown traffic was a bit of a mess.

Yesterday I stumbled on a couple of videos of local TV news clips showing the mess on the non-freeway roads.

Tom, we live in Hilllard.
Looking at Google maps, I stumbled on the Early Television Museum in Hilliard. I wasn't aware it existed. Something to add to our must-see list next time we're in the area.

I used to take 465 south every time I went thru IPLS, but they recently (last few years) made major improvements on I-70 thru town, so without the construction nightmare it's not a bad route. Still, I'd take 465 now, though it's slightly more complex than it used to be.

I used to take 465 south every time I went thru IPLS, but they recently (last few years) made major improvements on I-70 thru town, so without the construction nightmare it's not a bad route. Still, I'd take 465 now, though it's slightly more complex than it used to be.
Thanks Larry. I-70 has been our favored route for several years - until we ran into the construction/detour mess last trip.

At the heart of Downtown Indianapolis, I-70 and I-65, are all closed. It is a disaster., It will be very nice in 2 years. All new bridges everything.

Thanks Spencer. I'll try to time the passage between the hours you suggest. I'll also do more research on google maps before leaving home. Last trip, trying to find our way out of the downtown traffic was a bit of a mess.

Yesterday I stumbled on a couple of videos of local TV news clips showing the mess on the non-freeway roads.
Tom, if you stay on 70, ignore Google maps, (they are specifically routing out of towners) but stay on 70, come into downtown, off on Washington (you must) and follow my other instructions, with everything seeming closed, it literally is a breeze. I volunteer a couple times a week downtown, the traffic is getting diverted away. Note: if you go this way, when you come to Washington, do not turn right on red, there is a leo there all day, everyday. ;)

edit: don't think this is going to take you through the glamourous part of the city, safe during daytime for sure, but you will see poverty.

At the heart of Downtown Indianapolis, I-70 and I-65, are all closed. It is a disaster., It will be very nice in 2 years. All new bridges everything.

... but stay on 70, come into downtown, off on Washington (you must) and follow my other instructions, with everything seeming closed, it literally is a breeze.
That's what we did last time, but didn't have the benefit of your instructions, and Chris' phone took us around in circles. Eventually we (accidentally) found an open ramp on the East side, and were relieved to be back on I-70. In 5 miles all lanes of I-70 were temporarily closed for different roadworks :(
don't think this is going to take you through the glamourous part of the city, safe during daytime for sure, but you will see poverty.
Understood.

I printed all the suggestions from this thread and we came through/around the area yesterday (Sat), so no commute traffic. Decided to follow the signs to I-465 S/E/N and back onto I-70. Lots of vehicles, but all moving at the limit. Thanks again for the suggestions. I plan to have them on hand when we return.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom