I am an RV wanna be!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildflower63

Hi members!  Look forward to meeting all!!  I am an RV wanna be. I have a 15 year old daughter at home to raise.  My 19 year old son is enough to give anyone grey hair! lol!  Life as a parent is shortly going to end for me.  I want to downsize, to the point that I don't have to pack every time I want to run away from home. 

I have been shopping around for one of the larger RVs, which I can live in and go where I want, without packing!  I am an RN.  I am very willing to work, but want to be a bit more of a vagrant than my mortgage allows.  I want to see the US. 

Am I living in a dream world or is it really possible for someone who isn't retired to travel and live the RV lifestyle?

Wildflower,

Not at all; especially in your profession.  There are apprently programs for nurses to work n months at a time.  We have met several couples traveling that way.

Joel

Wildflower,

Not sure what you meant by "Life as a parent is shortly going to end for me." Planning on selling the children? ;D ;D ;D Of course not, but seriously, go for it! I'm sure there are many people who have waited for whatever reason, and then found out they weren't financially or physically able to live their dream. Sounds like you've got just the right attitude and drive to make it happen. Good Luck!

Wildflower,

You go for it! It's great that you have an occupation that you can use to make some $$ along the way. Mike and I are partially retired and are ready to give up the house and start traveling. We know we'll have to work some along the way but what fun to change jobs every 4 months or so. There are a lot of folks who do it, some right here on this forum. I'm sure some of them will send you some tips and/or encouragement.

Karl, are you serious? ?I can sell my kids? lol!! ?No, of course I love them very much. ?There is nothing I wouldn't do to help them. ?You do get sick of the problem with teens, who don't want a parent. ?You end up an ATM machine. ?How much can I get for these brats? lol!

Actually, what I am doing is planning my future. ?What do I want out of life, when my kids leave home? ?My 19 year old thinks living with Mom is life in hell. ?He prefers to live with his friends. ?My daughter is going to probably end up in a college dorm, thinking that is so much better than living with Mom. ?The fact is, my parenting days are dead. ?I am only financially responsible for them. ?I can't play parent, since the kids are a bit too old to listen, thinking they know it all. ?

I do get the idea of being a parent. ?My kids don't need or want a Mommy, just my money. ?They know it all and want me out of their hair. ?Of course, I will continue paying up, for their future, just as I do now. ?I want a future for myself, also. ?That, in my mind, does not include keeping this oversized house, bought to raise a family. ?I don't think it is fair for adult kids to live their life, expecting Mom to live alone, with a ton of bills, because they feel like dropping in every once in a while. ?

Don't parents, who raised our kids and still willing to help them get an education or bail them out of a big problem, deserve a life we want too? ?I think our work is done, at some point, which is the point that they don't need you, just your money. ?That is exactly what I live with. ?I have no clue that my 15 year old daughter even lives here. ?She disappears to her room, with a phone and cable TV. ?She comes down to see what there is to eat and hits me up for money. ?I also have the fun of saying 'no' to an outraged teen request. ?They always seem to stay mad at you.

I have been looking at RVs for a while. ?I am taking the time to plan and do have a few years to do this. ?I want to be a vagrant that can run away from home without packing. ?I want this freedom of lifestyle, but know that it isn't like some ad on TV that makes it look so simple. ?I realize it isn't, but need someone to teach me the ropes!

Your time will come, Karl! ?Your kids will grow up so fast that it leaves you wondering where the time went.

As far as working, you may want to check into national tempory labor agencies specializing in the nursing profession.  I have heard of nurses traveling and working in different areas of the country.  If you can hook up with a national temp. agency, I would think it would be easier to get positions since you would have a work history with the temp. agency.

Good luck and live your dream!!

D2

I am a bit afraid of travel nurse positions.  I tried that.  Every state you go to requires another expensive license to work.  They don't train you and it is my nursing license that will be toast, if I make a mistake.  You have to sue them for wages and cost reimbursement they promise, but don't pay up, which is another expensive vacation these agencies know you can't afford.

I really want an RV.  I want to go wherever it is that I find appealing. Is it possible to really do this, without the problems of an expensive nursing license?  Can just 'some job' you are willing to do actually pay expenses and let you save a few buck for the next trip? 

I live in northern Kentucky.  I want to ease my way west, with so many different and interesting places to see.  I do plan on staying, for a while, pay my expenses, and save up for the next trip I wish to take.  I need others to help me, with their experience, of home being where you choose to drive it. 

Back
Top Bottom