I am new to RVs and about to purchase my first for full-time living. Help with identifying marks in a photo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say don’t limit your search to where you are. The trailer I bought was an 8hr drive to see it. Next, I hired a professional inspector. $200 of the cost was travel expense. Well worth it. I used the “lemon squad” and got a 46 page report which included a ton of photo.

if you are betting your families life on this, get an independent inspection.. the seller is biased.
Thank you for your response. You are absolutely correct.

A quick update for everyone. We ended up switching directions to a travel trailer. We just put a deposit down on a 2017 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2750 BHS. We are buying it from a local dealership and RV service center. They do a thorough inspection and repair on the units before the customer takes them off the lot. A coworker knows the owner's family really well. Upon inspection, I did not find any soft spots, signs of mold, or water leaks. The trailer is in beautiful condition. I know Dutchmen isn't perfect. We are planning to do quite a bit in the way of upgrades and some remodeling in the bunkroom and bedroom. I have a friend that works in construction coming with me to do one final walkthrough before finalizing the purchase.

I appreciate everyone's honest responses above and their bluntness. My wife and I have been seriously considering this for well over a year now after discussing it sporadically throughout our marriage. We are realistic people and do not look at this with rose-colored glasses. We have researched the good and the bad. I know it is a world of difference between researching problems and living through them. We have been refined by fire on many occasions and will continue to be so.

We look forward to joining the community. Thanks again for the welcome and feedback.

If you are going to be shopping for a 20 year old RV it is almost guaranteed that it will have had a leaking in the ceiling and have some water damage. You will need to look at RVs less than three years old to find one without ceiling damage. You will not always see obvious signs like the one in your photo, but the damage will have occurred.
You make it sound like a brand new RV will only last three years before having leaks.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Nor is mold a common problem.
Do some parts of the country have more mold issues than others? And if you do get mold, what are the odds of it being dangerous? I hear there are different types of molds, some a lot more dangerous to be around than others.

Yeah, my 21 year old RV shows a few wet spots.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I assume some brands are a lot better than others. Are there any RVs that are considered to be leakproof?

-Don- Auburn, CA
I don't think brand has anything to do with leaks. I have read you are suppose to check your roof once a year and patch any cracks, then every five years get the entire roof resealed. I doubt one of 100 new RVs get those inspections.

I bought my Class C motorhome brand-new in 2012. My biggest unexpected cost has been maintenance and repairs. My costs are probably more than some people because I am not handy, being in my 70s and traveling alone. Anyway, here are my last few year's rough expenses for maintenance and repairs. This figure covers things like oil changes, new tires, truck washes, house and vehicle batteries, new window shades, and things like water pumps and water system filters. I am a full-timer and have driven 152,000 miles in almost 9 years, so I do wear things out.

2014 $1,700
2015 $2,200
2016 $5,570
2017 $6,050
2018 $11,000
2019 $2,400
2020 $4,020

The biggest costs for 2018 were for major slide repair, damage from a blown tire, damage to electric steps from hitting a large tire tread from a cement truck, four new tires, new brakes front and rear, a set of coach batteries, and having my upper kitchen cabinets reattached when they started to come loose.

This year so far, I had some roof cracks fixed so they would not leak, had leak in toilet fixed, got a new windshield because of a crack, splurged on a new backup camera, and one oil change. I still have an electrical problem right now with no running or tail lights, and just today had to pay someone $190 to remove my shredded awning which got damaged as I was driving in heavy wind this morning. So I need a new awning and probably will have to buy several tires this year at about $220 each.

These numbers may be shocking, but things in a motorhome cost more to fix than they would at home and are also often harder to fix than a home equivalent. And, I drive a lot, plus I cannot do any repairs myself. I do not tow, so I do not have the expense of a second vehicle, which helps my budget.

My point is that you need a budget for repairs on any motorhome, unless you are really, really handy. But I did not go into this to save money on housing--I went into full-timing because I wanted to explore and travel the country. All the national parks and beautiful places I have visited--priceless.

Last edited:
Mine's an 07 and I have no roof leaks, or any signs of past leaks. I do go on top 2 or 3 times a year and inspect it. When I clean the a/c filters, I check the bolts that clamps the unit to the roof.

My class "A" will be 23 this June and has never had a leak with an EPDM roof.. It also is kept in a heated garage when not in use..>>>Dan

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

We ended up buying a 2017 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2750BHS. It is on a lot at an RV park at the moment. We make the transition in two weeks.

We are going to spend the first year at an RV park. This will serve a few purposes:
1) Get used to the change and see if we like it.
2) Learn the ins and outs of the RV lifestyle while being stationary.
3) Upgrade various components before we hit the road.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

We ended up buying a 2017 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2750BHS. It is on a lot at an RV park at the moment. We make the transition in two weeks.

We are going to spend the first year at an RV park. This will serve a few purposes:
1) Get used to the change and see if we like it.
2) Learn the ins and outs of the RV lifestyle while being stationary.
3) Upgrade various components before we hit the road.
Congratulations and good luck with it and the new baby!

I like this thread.

Good luck to you!

Do you know if it's a boy or girl?

I like this thread.

Good luck to you!

Do you know if it's a boy or girl?
I've found that it depends on which partner is doing the naming. If it's the wife, the name is usually Frank, or George or Billy. The husbands usually go for Clementine, or Nellie, or Bess.
Mine's named for a certain unwinnable scenario. You know, as you fix one thing, another breaks.
Come to think of it, maybe I should have named her "Hydra". :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom