I am still in May, FL?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

My computer thinks I am. No matter what I do. Running Windows 11. Windows 11 maps says I am in Mayo. Even web searches say I am in Mayo, Florida. My automatic time is still in Mayo Florida. My computer says it is in Mayo, Florida in every way possible. I change my default location to Lukeville, AZ and then use the locate me thingy and I am back in Mayo.

I am using a Verizon Hotspot, if that has anything to do with it.

So why is this computer still in Mayo, FL while I type on it here in OPCNM, AZ?

-Don- OPCNM, AZ

Last edited:
Luckily, this is a Google Maps problem, not an alzheimer's problem!

Once you search for something and use a specific place as your location from which to determine a route, it thinks you are glued to that spot forever or until you do another search. But, often, just doing another search does not help. This has been very frustrating for me, as well as I am irritated by the ads that tell me I can get cheap insurance at wherever I was last week!!!

Here are some instructions, but I don't guarantee that they always work!!
  • After deleting your cookies, the next thing you should do is check your computer's settings. Click Settings, then Privacy, and then "Location" under "App Permissions" on the left column. Make sure Maps is turned on. (I turn the others off, but maybe I shouldn't.) There is also a little icon that is round in a sort of square box about the + and - signs on Google maps, so click on this and let it set your current location. You can also open a Help page by clicking on "Learn more" when it sets your location, hopefully correctly.
  • Find & improve your location’s accuracy - Computer - Google Maps Help
Good luck! Sometimes my computer thinks I am in a raft floating in the middle of the ocean, so I have no idea how that happens.

Last edited:
Luckily, this is a Google Maps problem, not an alzheimer's problem!

Once you search for something and use a specific place as your location from which to determine a route, it thinks you are glued to that spot forever or until you do another search. But, often, just doing another search does not help. This has been very frustrating for me, as well as I am irritated by the ads that tell me I can get cheap insurance at wherever I was last week!!!

Here are some instructions, but I don't guarantee that they always work!!
  • After deleting your cookies, the next thing you should do is check your computer's settings. Click Settings, then Privacy, and then "Location" under "App Permissions" on the left column. Make sure Maps is turned on. (I turn the others off, but maybe I shouldn't.) There is also a little icon that is round in a sort of square box about the + and - signs on Google maps, so click on this and let it set your current location. You can also open a Help page by clicking on "Learn more" when it sets your location, hopefully correctly.
  • Find & improve your location’s accuracy - Computer - Google Maps Help
Good luck! Sometimes my computer thinks I am in a raft floating in the middle of the ocean, so I have no idea how that happens.
That was no help here. I even turned it all off and everything esle that seems reasonable. The computer still finds me at the Hidden Oaks RV Park in Mayo, FL. Even when I let a place on the web search for my location.

For an example, right now my nearest Home Depo is:

1 - Lake City #6864

0.00 mi
  • 215 Sw Home Depot Drive
  • Lake City, FL 32025
BTW, when you're out in the ocean, by any chance is it at a coordinates of 000.00000 / 000.00000? Sometimes when a location cannot be found, regardless of reason, it defaults to all zeros for longitude and latitude.

-Don- OPCNM, AZ

Did you try to reset your location on Google maps by clicking on the small icon over the +- signs? I tried it earlier, and it worked for me. Rebooting or turning off computer will not work because it has saved the information.

And when it puts me in the ocean, it seems to be a random coordinate not the one with all the zeroes.

Yes, my PAYG Verizon Cell phone has the correct time.

My contract Verizon MiFi 5510L which I am using now shows no times or dates unless I ask it for a FW update. Then it shows the date as the last check as being on "02/01/2022 at 0619PM", but it is really 9:37PM here. So even the minutes are off.

-Don- OPCNM, AZ

Not the computer, or Google, but your hotspot.
It is still casting the IP address that you received from the network in Florida.

The computer gets its location from your hot spot which gets it from the cell network.

Not the computer, or Google, but your hotspot.
It is still casting the IP address that you received from the network in Florida.
I think there has to be more to it than that, as this computer puts me exactly at the RV Park I was in, Hidden Oaks RV Park in Mayo, FL. I doubt if my IP came from Hidden Oaks. Seems a GPS had to be involved for that type of accuracy. But if a GPS is involved, how could it think I am still there?

I just cannot make any sense out of this one. Even my web searches give me Florida for here in AZ. And everywhere else I have been since FL.

-Don- OPCNM, FL

Have you done a windows update lately?
Believe it or not, that fixed it. This computer is now very close to the same place I am.

I have auto-updates on, and I have since I changed my plan to "unlimited" a couple of months ago. But I went to check my updates, and this was waiting to be downloaded:

"2022-01 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5009469)"

I have no idea what that means or does, but I just downloaded it, installed it and rebooted and my computer is now in Lukeville, which is only five miles away. That is acceptable.

TBH, I didn't expect that to do a thing, but I tried it anyway and it worked!

Thanks! -Don- OPCNM, AZ (computer now in Lukeville, AZ)

Back
Top Bottom