I am still in May, FL?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe you need to go in and turn yours ON
All my location stuff has been on. If turned off, then my Windows map says it cannot find me.

Lately, this computer has been thinking it is steadily in the Saguaro SKP RV Park in Benson, AZ. That where it says it is right now. For whatever unknown reason, it's now staying there solidly and no longer changing to Lukeville.

-Don- OPCNM, AZ

Compter still in Lukeville. My time is set to change with time zones, but my time is still AZ here in CA.

Seems strange to me that when in Lukeville, computer was in Benson for the last couple of days. Only switched back to Lukeville, when I got well away from Lukeville.

-Don- Newberry Springs, CA

Right now, my computer says I am in Lukeville, AZ. But here yesterday, it said I was at my house in Reno, right at the exact address.

This morning, my computer said "adjusting for time change" even though this time of year it's the same time as Reno as in AZ. So I checked the map and I am in Lukeville, AZ again, according to Windows Ten Maps.

I am using a different Hotspot, but still Verizon. Same HP notebook computer.

It probably has something to do with no GPS involved. But why would my location change since yesterday, both being off by hundreds of miles?

Anybody have a clue what causes this issue?

Not important, just a curiosity.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Last edited:
I think you are driving yourself crazy over this.

When I was hotspotting through my work I had locations all over the north mid-west reported on my computer. I am 99% sure it is the fact that while you are pinging the nearest tower the system is using some algorithm to find the optimum internet server. This could be due to optimum location (traffic), bandwidth or other reasons.

Another thing that could impact things is if you are using an internet security system like VPN or IP masking.

I think you are driving yourself crazy over this.

When I was hotspotting through my work I had locations all over the north mid-west reported on my computer. I am 99% sure it is the fact that while you are pinging the nearest tower the system is using some algorithm to find the optimum internet server. This could be due to optimum location (traffic), bandwidth or other reasons.

Another thing that could impact things is if you are using an internet security system like VPN or IP masking.
Just a curiosity. Nothing more. I just like to know how things work, such as this weird stuff.

My computer thinks it is still in Lukevile today. Tomorrow is anybody's guess. No, I do not use a VPN or IP masking of any type.

FWIW, I don't think this ever happens from either of my houses or in those areas. And it shows my exact location when I do check it using this same stuff.

Seems to only be on these RV trips and can be off by a thousand miles.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Is there a gadget that isn't updating its location but still thinks it's in Lukeville and is telling all of your other gadgets that's where they are?

Is there a gadget that isn't updating its location but still thinks it's in Lukeville and is telling all of your other gadgets that's where they are?
It showed my exact location in Reno a week ago. Also in Auburn, CA. I have not been to Lukeville, AZ for several months and this computer still shows I am in Lukeville right now.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Just a curiosity. Nothing more. I just like to know how things work, such as this weird stuff.

My computer thinks it is still in Lukevile today. Tomorrow is anybody's guess. No, I do not use a VPN or IP masking of any type.

FWIW, I don't think this ever happens from either of my houses or in those areas. And it shows my exact location when I do check it using this same stuff.

Seems to only be on these RV trips and can be off by a thousand miles.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Your houses are surely on WiFi and your RV is on cell hot spots.

Park your RV close enough to the house to get WiFi, hook up to WiFi and see what happens.

Or simply take the device(s) into the house and see what happens.

Funny, when I open Accuweather in my browser, it always thinks I'm in either Tempe, AZ, Mt Laguna, CA or Clearwater, FL. I haven't ever been to Clearwater. I haven't been to Tempe in about 40 years, and I left Mt Laguna in early March. Doesn't matter if I go into the preferences on the web site and set my actual location (Crowley Lake is as close as it'll get to Tom's Place), the next time I open the page it'll revert to one of the others.

Your houses are surely on WiFi and your RV is on cell hot spots.
I now use only the Hotspot at my Auburn house. I decided I do not need the cable there as I can get TV, phone and internet the exact same way as I do now, with the unlimited data plan. I get 5G there as well as my Reno house.

In Reno, I still pay for telephone and internet cable. But I get all the TV there for free OTA. That house is on the very top of a hill and even indoor TV antennas work great. But I still often use this notebook computer and Verizon Hotspot near that house, such as at restaurants.

My computer here now thinks it is at my EXACT (right at my house!) location in Reno. It changed from Lukeville this morning and has been stuck at my exact Reno location since I turned on this computer this morning.

It has not yet ever shown anything close to this location.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Funny, when I open Accuweather in my browser, it always thinks I'm in either Tempe, AZ, Mt Laguna, CA or Clearwater, FL.
I will bring my Hotspot and this computer over to your place in around an hour or so. At least then we can tell if it has something to do with the computer or the Hotspot by logging into each other's stuff.

We can solve on part of the puzzle. But I assume it is the Hotspot and has nothing to do with the computers. But I want to be sure.

I can post here the results later.

-Don-

Okay, I am now at Old_Crow's place. The results are somewhat shocking.

We are both logged in to my Hotspot. His computer shows we are exactly where we really are a mile from Tom's Place. Mine shows it is in Reno. But a half mile away from my house in Reno on Google Maps. Windows Ten Maps shows my exact Reno house location. So the problem is my computer, not my Hotspot or connection.

Now, Old_Crow and I are going for dinner at Tom's Place restaurant. With a camera this time!

-Don-

Now that it is confirmed that the problem is this computer and has nothing to do with Verizon or my Hotspot, does anybody here have a clue what I can change in my computer, so that it will shows my correct location?

I have already cleared cookies and other such basic stuff to no avail.

I am running Windows 11. Windows Maps is now showing me exactly at my house in Reno.

And now Old_Crow can confirm I am not crazy! He cannot figure it out either and this happens when I log on his satellite system as well as mine where the correct location is shown on his computer but not mine. And his computer is also an HP Notebook. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it must be something set incorrectly in my computer that affects my location.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Now that it is confirmed that the problem is this computer and has nothing to do with Verizon or my Hotspot, does anybody here have a clue what I can change in my computer, so that it will shows my correct location?

I have already cleared cookies and other such basic stuff to no avail.

I am running Windows 11. Windows Maps is now showing me exactly at my house in Reno.

And now Old_Crow can confirm I am not crazy! He cannot figure it out either and this happens when I log on his satellite system as well as mine where the correct location is shown on his computer but not mine. And his computer is also an HP Notebook. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it must be something set incorrectly in my computer that affects my location.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA
Number of suggestions in this article. Flushing DNS seems like one of the first things here I might try.

Flushing DNS seems like one of the first things here I might try.
No luck with:

C:\>ipconfig/flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

This computer is still in Reno, unlike me.
I must have long arms. ;)

I will try a few more things. I already tried a few searches on the issue and so far I didn't find anything that worked.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

One thing I need to make clear about this problem. It is NOT with my maps, it is with the computer. For an example, I just went to the Harbor Freights Tool Website to find their closest store to here. It is in Sparks, NV.

To get to there I must pass Carson City and one other HFT. It is showing the HFT closest to my Reno home, not to here.

This happens everywhere. My computer says I am in Reno, no matter what I check. On-line as well as the maps installed on this computer. So the problem, is not with my maps, but with my computer telling the web I am in Reno when I am not even close to Reno. Or sometimes Lukeville, AZ, where I was a few months ago. At least no more Mayo, Florida but the same issue.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Here's a lot of information about location services in a MS machine.

My next guess might be the IP address being assigned to your machine by the hotspot. You may have a program or something that has asked for a "static" IP adress.

It's an unusual thing to happen and usually is done on home WiFi networks.

MS Location Services

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom