I am still in May, FL?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a lot of information about location services in a MS machine.

My next guess might be the IP address being assigned to your machine by the hotspot. You may have a program or something that has asked for a "static" IP adress.

It's an unusual thing to happen and usually is done on home WiFi networks.

MS Location Services
That has been ruled out by the old bird & me both. His computer logged on to MY Hotspot. His computer showed he was here as mine showed Reno. The I logged into his satellite system with this computer (no Hotspot). This computer was still in Reno.

That proves It's a computer problem, not a hotspot issue. And if I find the closest Wall*Mart, Home Depo, HFT or get the weather from "my location" when here, it will show as Reno, while parked right here no matter what i use for an iternet connection.

I cannot say I can make any sense out of it, and neither can Old_Crow but the facts are what they are.

If I turn off "Location Services" then the computer will say it cannot find my location. As soon as I turn it on, computer is back in Reno.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA -me. Reno-this computer, exactly at my home address.

You probably did this but have you sussed out MS location services on the settings page?

Right below "Allow Apps" is default location setting,

location.JPG

default location setting,
Yes, I have already fooled around the default location thingy. Didn't really fix anything. While I can use that to change the location on Windows Maps, if I go to any website, it will still find me in Reno for my closest location for any store when I use the locator or ask the weather to use my current location.

And even on the map, if I use the automatic locator thingy, it will put this computer right back in Reno even on the map if the default is set for here.

The "default location" setting here doesn't do anything useful.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Yes, I have already fooled around the default location thingy.
I have never use Windows Maps but just brought it up on on my Win10 notebook. Checked the setting to allow location. Windows Maps obligingly pointed out to me that I was a couple hundred miles Southwest of Nigeria Africa in the Gulf of Guinea. Sure don't recall ever visiting there.

Do your issues remain when you use Google Maps. ?

Do your issues remain when you use Google Maps. ?
Yes, we first used Google Maps at the Old Bird's place. His computer was right were we were as mine was in Reno, using the same internet connections for Googe Maps. Google maps was less accurate, showed a location about a mile from my Reno home. Win 10's map shows the location right at my house when here.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

This is getting strange. Today, for the first time since being here this computer is showing my exact location (within a few feet!).

I made no changes to my computer. At least none that I am aware of.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA (both me and my computer!)

From a quick google search it is a very common problem with no real solutions apart from to set your default location but even this isn't great. States that a VPN can cause an inaccurate location if used too.

From a quick google search it is a very common problem with no real solutions apart from to set your default location but even this isn't great. States that a VPN can cause an inaccurate location if used too.
What makes this problem interesting is that it is my computer ONLY. Already well proven to have NOTHING at all to do with my internet connection (see previous messages).

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

What makes this problem interesting is that it is my computer ONLY. Already well proven to have NOTHING at all to do with my internet connection (see previous messages).

-Don- Tom's Place, CA
Yes that's what the folks are complaining about.

My computer thinks I am. No matter what I do. Running Windows 11. Windows 11 maps says I am in Mayo. Even web searches say I am in Mayo, Florida. My automatic time is still in Mayo Florida. My computer says it is in Mayo, Florida in every way possible. I change my default location to Lukeville, AZ and then use the locate me thingy and I am back in Mayo.

I am using a Verizon Hotspot, if that has anything to do with it.

So why is this computer still in Mayo, FL while I type on it here in OPCNM, AZ?

-Don- OPCNM, AZ
I drove through my park and you are not here. Then I drove past Mayo and you weren't there either. So I can say with complete confidence you are not in Mayo Fl. Your computer is wrong. Sue Bill Gates. I did see a purple Tesla and a murdered Tesla and they are the two ugliest Teslas in existence.

I drove through my park and you are not here. Then I drove past Mayo and you weren't there either. So I can say with complete confidence you are not in Mayo Fl. Your computer is wrong. Sue Bill Gates. I did see a purple Tesla and a murdered Tesla and they are the two ugliest Teslas in existence.

Nah - I seen him yesterday hanging out by the Dollar General...

Windows 11 just had a 5-minute update. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my computer is now back at Tom's Place again, just a few feet away from my actual location here.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

What happens when you go to one of these sites and ask where you are?
There, I am at my exact address in Reno, NV.

I wonder if when I get back to Reno, if this computer will say I am at Tom's Place.

It is really weird. The location changes at random and has nothing to do with my internet connection. I don't consider this a problem, but I am sure curious what can cause this to happen on a computer.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Maybe your karma wants you to go back to Florida.
I wouldn't mind that at all. But the computer now wants me to go back to Reno, NV and I am doing exactly that tomorrow. After I have my coffee fix at the Old Crow's place first, of course.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

Back
Top Bottom