I am still in May, FL?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whack a Mole...

Your computer travels more than you do.

Tom - From a troubleshooting perspective you keep generically saying "My computer thinks..."

Well you and I know that computers don't think (yet) and we all agree there are multiple programs on our computers that use location services.

If you really want to end this problem you have to get extremely specific about what program(s) are setting the incorrect error and then start investigating why - Cookies, registrar settings, non volatile ram, program settings etc.

Computers also have a ton of variables and you have to knock out the variables one at a time.

BTW - Your computer travels way more than you do - LOL...

Whack a Mole...

Your computer travels more than you do.

Tom - From a troubleshooting perspective you keep generically saying "My computer thinks..."

Well you and I know that computers don't think (yet) and we all agree there are multiple programs on our computers that use location services.

If you really want to end this problem you have to get extremely specific about what program(s) are setting the incorrect error and then start investigating why - Cookies, registrar settings, non volatile ram, program settings etc.

Computers also have a ton of variables and you have to knock out the variables one at a time.

BTW - Your computer travels way more than you do - LOL...

It's a good thing he doesn't have to pay for the gas for all that travel.

Using Windows 11 and the Edge browser, every time I bring up the Accuweather web site it takes me to Tempe, AZ, no matter how many times I re-set the location. Google maps usually locates me in Oakdale, CA, which is totally on the other side of the Sierras from where we are now. Also, the nearest Home Depot is apparently in Fresno, except that currently I'd have to go through Bakersfield to get there. That might change next week if Tioga Pass opens.

I have done all that already. When it changes, everything changes as if the computer is in that location and it often changes to the actual location even though I have not done anything.

Right now, my computer is right here at Tom's Place. But I have no doubt it will be in Reno again any minute without me changing or doing anything.

At least it stayed on Reno when I was logged onto Old_Crow's satellite system when I showed him what this computer was doing.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA

I have done all that already. When it changes, everything changes as if the computer is in that location and it often changes to the actual location even though I have not done anything.

Right now, my computer is right here at Tom's Place. But I have no doubt it will be in Reno again any minute without me changing or doing anything.

At least it stayed on Reno when I was logged onto Old_Crow's satellite system when I showed him what this computer was doing.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA
What specific programs are reporting locations and are they all reporting the same location at the same time.

This can determine if it is a system level problem or a program level problem.

I'd be willing to bet that at this point it is a Windows service that is messed up in the registry and or two services conflicting. Specifically network location awareness and/or geolocation services.

I'd further bet that a windows restoration/reinstall would fix the problem.

What specific programs are reporting locations and are they all reporting the same location at the same time.

This can determine if it is a system level problem or a program level problem.

I'd be willing to bet that at this point it is a Windows service that is messed up in the registry and or two services conflicting. Specifically network location awareness and/or geolocation services.

I'd further bet that a windows restoration/reinstall would fix the problem.
Could be, but how can a computer without a GPS determine the location if it's not using the internet connection?

I do not recall having this issue before I upgraded from Win10 to Win11, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Yes, the entire computer all shows the same locations at the same time, regardless is correct or incorrect at that time. That includes maps on the computer as well as maps not on the computer that are on the web. Also includes weather when the locator is used, or even a store locator for any store is used.

-Don- Reno, NV

Right now, I am at a fast-food restaurant using the same notebook computer, two miles from my house.

It now shows my location exactly spot on, two miles from my house. And has not changed from being spot on since I have been in Reno.

Here, I have 5 bars of 5G, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

-Don- Reno, NV

Likewise, I have not had the issue on that same computer and Verizon connection while here in Auburn. It's been spot on every time I check.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Never figured it out. Right now, my computer says it is in Ramblin' Redwoods RV Park where I was last September.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA
If you hover the cursor over the button that finds your current location, a box pops up with a link to an explanation of how Goggle finds your "current location".
Right now I have to zoom quite far in before Google will find me.

We're in Mesa, Arizona per our bank. We went to our bank last week in Grand Junction, Colorado due to somehow our Zip-code and state was changed to Mesa, Arizona from Mesa, Colorado. Mesa, Arizona is a big, big city. Any corner block of it is much larger than our little unincorporated town with few people.

Our debit cards no longer worked and our paper billing statements were mailed back until one day on-line we caught the error. The bank stated that they didn't change the Zip-code and the state, we did. Also, did I try to use my debit card at a gas station in Thompson, Utah which is a whopping 77 miles from the bank? They tried to contact me with a text message, but I was out of cell phone service range. I need to inform them whenever I go out of state to use my card I was told. For a guy that retired from working 36 years for US Defense Contractors doing stuff, I learned to trust no one. It's part of my DNA now.

If you hover the cursor over the button that finds your current location, a box pops up with a link to an explanation of how Goggle finds your "current location".
Right now I have to zoom quite far in before Google will find me.
Looks like you just found my fix! My computer is now at Salton Sea SRA with me!

In Windows 11, I turned on "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors" and I went from Ramblin' Redwoods to right here in Salton Sea SRA on all my maps. First time my computer was here with me!

I got the clue the way you suggested. Wasn't the exact same words in Windows 11, but was close enough so I could figure it out by getting into the correct area to change. Now all my maps (not just Goggle) have me here at SS SRA. And at very close to the exact spot. Shows me at the SS SRA Visitor Center, just a few yards away from me.

BTW, I wonder what "web service" is fixing my location.

Thanks! -Don- SS SRA, CA

If you hover the cursor over the button that finds your current location, a box pops up with a link to an explanation of how Goggle finds your "current location". .
Interesting. A feature I did not know existed. Thanks for pointing it out.

My guess is that Verizon is sending your data traffic outside their network and that provider is not supporting location services. I see it, here in SC.

My guess is that Verizon is sending your data traffic outside their network and that provider is not supporting location services. I see it, here in SC.
I was able to prove my problem was my computer, NOT the internet connection. Last May, I was at Old Crows RV using his satellite system. That was at the French Camp next to Tom's Place, CA. My computer said I was in Mayo, FL, his computer said we were right there where we really were, near Tom's Place, CA.

-Don- SS SRA, CA

OK - Where I am right now, using my network connected to Verizon, I will see my location at home in NY (cached Google info) and later see an accurate location, here in SC. Not the the computer, in my mind.

Not the the computer, in my mind.
Don't bet on it! That was what I thought at first until I connected up to @Old_Crow 's satellite system.

I too was getting a mixture of places from the same spot at different times, which includes some places I have never even been near. But mostly past places that I have been to, just not all.

-Don- SS SRA, CA

Back
Top Bottom