I approve this message

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Am I the only one to be frustrated when I hear/read this comment  ???

Tom,

Politics is probably the most frustrating time in our history. I will be so thankful when it is over for this election. I am inundated with all kinds of political comments.

I almost cancelled my FB account due to the constant bombardment of political nonsense. I know it is crucial to discuss items concerning our country but the diabolical rhetoric that is being produced, which is mainly lies on both sides, is more than I can take!!!

Aye Jim, and our snail mail box gets stuffed with all kinds of junk, in addition to the phone continually ringing. They forgot to tell us about this part when we were naturalized, and the judge said "don't forget to exercise your right to vote"  :(

Edit: Fixed typo.

I think it's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Especially when you're in your own commercial.  Why would you not approve your own commercial?!!?  Sheesh!

It's called the "Stand by your ad" provision of  the 2002 Campaign Reform Act. It's purpose is to distinguish between legitimate ads from the candidate or his/her officially acknowledged supporters and others who may be trying to put words in the candidate's mouth.  It came about because there had been instances where fringe groups of supporters had posted ads that distorted the candidate's position or slandered an opponent, which the candidate later denied. That raised all kinds of questions!

Worse, there was even a case of a false ad by a group that opposed the candidate and wanted to make him look bad. That wasn't in a presidential campaign, but it was still pretty serious.

This season I have seen only one ad that did not have the candidate's "I approve this message" tacked on. It was a message from an allegedly neutral group that claimed that one of the candidates was a better choice for the interests of that group. It was "approved"group's own executive committee rather than the candidate.

Tom, the end is near.  If not November 6th, then possibly December 21.  At least if your a subscriber to the Mayan Calendar theory. 

It's called the "Stand by your ad" provision of  the 2002 Campaign Reform Act.

Well I'll be darned; I didn't know it was a 'legal requirement'. Like Ed, I've thought it was the dumbest thing I've heard, but assumed someone started it several years ago and everyone copied it. I learn something new every day.

Ugh.... yes it is annoying.

Honestly, I just cannot wait till it is all over and everyone just settles back into slamming who ever wins for four years.  ;D

During this over whelming political year when our home phones or cell phones ring we answer the phone and say Hello.

Then if there is silence for 2-3 seconds or if anything that sounds political starts we hang up WITHOUT saying another word.  To date we have NOT responded to any political phone calls...none.

JerryF & ArdraF

The specific wording has been copied by most everybody, but AFAIK it is not part of the law. I haven't looked at the actual text of the McCain-Feingold "BiPartisan Campaign Responsibility Act", but I believe it just requires that somebody take official responsibility for the content of every political ad and to state that in the ad itself. It applies to both radio and tv ads, but not printed materials.

There were some comercicals (Campaign type) paid for by one of the "Joe Blow for Office" groups some years ago which Mr. Blow (Whatever the idiot's name was) Had NOT approved and in fact DID not approve of,  He had all sorts of trouble as folks refused to believe he'd not approved of them.. Thus, folks started putting their own face/voice in the "Approved" messages.

I"m not so sure the group putting out the offensive messge was not the "Anybody but Blow" party.

Note that Joe Blow is a fictional name, but the incident was real, I've forgotten the real name.

Oh, and I do agree, The first Tuesday of next month can't come soon enough!!!

The other factor is radio and TV stations are required to give the lowest rate charged to anyone over the past two years to any advertisement that includes the candidate's voice.  That's why in the past you often heard the candidate say the "Paid for by XXXX" tagline, now "I approved this message" seems to be in vogue.

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

Politics is probably the most frustrating time in our history. I will be so thankful when it is over for this election. I am inundated with all kinds of political comments.

I almost cancelled my FB account due to the constant bombardment of political nonsense. I know it is crucial to discuss items concerning our country but the diabolical rhetoric that is being produced, which is mainly lies on both sides, is more than I can take!!!

I deactivated mine.  I'll reactivate it after the election.  Every other post is political.  I live in Texas where my vote doesn't count anyway.  They only come down here to raise money, then go back to the "key" states.

Read Wikipedia and All Is Revealed:

The "Stand By Your Ad" provision (SBYA) of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (BCRA, also known as "McCain-Feingold"), enacted in 2002, requires candidates in the United States for federal political office, as well as interest groups and political parties supporting or opposing a candidate, to include in political advertisements on television and radio "a statement by the candidate that identifies the candidate and states that the candidate has approved the communication." The provision was intended to force political candidates running any campaign for office in the United States to associate themselves with their television and radio advertising, thereby discouraging them from making controversial claims or attack ads.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_approved_this_message 

In short, the candidates are just following the law. 

Sorry about that.  ;D

Gary RV Roamer said:
The specific wording has been copied by most everybody, but AFAIK it is not part of the law. I haven't looked at the actual text of the McCain-Feingold "BiPartisan Campaign Responsibility Act", but I believe it just requires that somebody take official responsibility for the content of every political ad and to state that in the ad itself. It applies to both radio and tv ads, but not printed materials.

It may not be required on printed material, but when I used to send out political mailings, I was always told to always put the name of our organization on the material.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom