I can't seem to figure this trick out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VnSr4JC

Howdy,
I am having a rough time backing my 3500 Silverado dually under my Arctic Fox 990.  The truck has a modified utility box on it & there is only about 2 inches of clearance on each side.  Make matters worse if I'm not 100% square I can't get my derringers to hook onto the tie downs.  Any ideas besides practice    Do any of you know of any tricks to this skill or line up devices, etc., that may help?  Course having some magor neck fusions sure doesn't help either.  All info is appreciated.  Thanks & blessings.
Vince

I can't get my derringers to hook onto the tie downs.

Those are new terms to me!  ???    Care to elaborate?

Square is good - makes thing simpler.  And "Practice makes perfect".

Perhaps a rear vision camera system would help.  There are some small units available now. Here's one source: Rear cameras

Vince,

This may sound too complicated but its really easy :eek:, Once you get hooked up and squared away(correctly), you could attach some small strings(say 6") with rubber balls hanging down on each corner of the Arctic Fox ,with the balls just touching the sides of the truck .Before hooking up ,measure  to the center of the camper and mark it at the bottom edge with tape,then lay down another piece of tape down the center of your truck bed. Using the rearview mirror and the two pieces of tape you can line up the truck with the camper,then looking out the side mirrors you should be able to put the truck in-between the rubber balls.

Hope this helps ! ::)

Ken

RV Roamer, which terms are confusing ??? & Kenneth that sounds like a good idea.  I actually hung some strind off the corners of my slide so I don't wack my head on it (I wear a ball cap a lot & it blocks the over head view of it &, well you know, WACKO.  Now I see the strings to remind me its there.  I tuck them under the weatherstripping when I retract it too so they're always ready to save me a headache.  Thanks for the replies.  I appreaciate them.

I believe derringers are those fast release buckles that you can use to hold down a TC to the truck.  Tie downs I believe are the eye bolts that stick out on the TC & you hook the derringers onto them & the ones that are atttched to the frame of the truck.  Course I make up a lot of words I think are right so I could be wrong.  ;)

I used to put a small piece of black electricans tape on each side of the front of the camper that was inline with the outside edge of the box on each side. I would then back in slowly, concentrating on keeping the spacing of each one equal in the mirrors.

Chet18013

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom