I can't wait anymore for tires. where to buy them ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

I found out that just because i say the tires will last one more trip does not me that the tires will listen. I drove my mh to the local tire shop and had the so called tire expert look at the tires. I noticed some small cracking around the outside wall. He said that small cracking would not hurt anything. I said from reading on this forum you should replace the tires every four years. He laughed and said who ever told you that must sell tires. The more i looked at them the more skeptic i got on their longevity. Then some one said to look at the Michelin web sit and watch the video. Then i am sure i need tires now. I mr cheapo said one more little trip and i will get new ones. Well yes on that little trip boom goes a tire. Lucky for me no outside damage to the mh. Is their any place that is the best to buy tires or just go to local tire shops. I have Michelin on now and would like to stick to them.
Any help for mr cheapo.

Actually, that is 5 years, not 4. 

Price them where you can get your motorhome handled.  Not all dealers, especially in suburban areas can handle a rig like a motorhome.  Be sure the outfit that gives you a price, can take your machine.

Tires should be replaced between 5 and 7 years.  We recently replaced our Goodyear G159 tires with Goodyear G670RV tires and highly recommend them.  As for Michelin I have had experience with them in the past and I would not recommend them.  Oh they do have a very good and informative video which I think all RVers should view but their tires well IMHO you would be better off with the G670RV tires.

Oh by the way the only reason re replaced the G159 tires was they were over 6 years old.  They had lots of tread remaining and no cracking they were just getting too old.

Be carefull as to who balances your tires. We have had a lot of problems when balanced on the machines. The large offset for motorhome tires make the balancing by machines very inaccurate unless the equipment is in good condition, properly setup and the technician knows what he is doing. We usually ask the technician to rotate the first balanced wheel 90 degrees and see if it is still balanced. If it is not balanced, pay for the one and go some where else where they understand what they are doing. Wheels with little offset like those used on trailers and cars usually aren't a problem. Consider the powder or other methods.

I know this probably depends on the type/size of motorhome (and thus tires) that you have, but what can a person expect to pay for a complete set of quality tires & installation?

scottydl said:
I know this probably depends on the type/size of motorhome (and thus tires) that you have, but what can a person expect to pay for a complete set of quality tires & installation?
I can tell you what i paid when i had a blow out.  It was $580 for two tires and service They came to the camp ground for repairs. I don't know off hand how much the insurance paid for.

[/I know this probably depends on the type/size of motorhome (and thus tires) that you have, but what can a person expect to pay for a complete set of quality tires & installation?]

I just bought a set of 7 tires (6 on the ground and a spare) for my Class A, size 235 85R16.  I got price quotes that ranged from $800 to $2,000.  I settled on a set in the middle of the range that are still good quality tires.  If you replace them, go ahead and replace the spare as well.  You don't want to have to put the spare on out in the middle of nowhere and have to drive on it for 200 miles if it is an old tire and subject to failure.  You may as well not have a spare tire in that instance.

Dan

16" tires for an RV will cost $150-$280 apiece for a typical Rv size & load range. You can get a decent quality tire for around $175$200.  That's installed and balanced.

19.5 and 22.5 inch tires are considerably more expensive. Figure around $300 each.  Quotes of $400 or more are not unusual, but shop around.

I just got back from pricing tires. 8 R 19.5  12 ply. goodyears balanced and installed. $205.These are drive tires. steer tires are cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom