I didn't know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2006F350

Sort on long winded, but ...

Last Aug, I finally got the truck of my dreams. Got a 2006 F-350 DRW CC King Ranch, 6DI, Torque Shift, 13,000GVW. Was Ok for a couple months, the the big bug hit.. had to get the 5W to go with the truck. After much shopping, comparing price to size, equipment, etc., we ended up with a 2006 Everest 364Q FW. On the maiden voyage (1 day after picking up the 5W, we headed to Austin TX from Memphis TN. Fantastic trip, really didn't want it to end. Anyway, we had found a couple minor problems with the 5W, so the day after we got back, we took it back to the dealer. They looked it over, said no problem, but because of their backlog, would take a week to get to it. No problem, didn't have any plans until the end of the year. They said to leave the trailer parked in an easy location in their lot. Again, no problem (I thought). No one (the tech that briefed us on delivery, not the owners manual, nothing) mentioned anything concerning the fact that the extension legs could be dropped too far. Well, as you can imagine, I drove to the location, unplugged the cord, dropped the extension legs, let go the pins which snapped right back in, release the hitch, hit the button to lower the legs, raised it enough to drive out, got about 1 foot and came to an abrupt halt. The front of the 5W (2500 Lbs) was sitting on my bed rails. No damage to the trailer, $1600 damage to the back of my 3 month old baby, and sever damage to my pride. I'm sure that everyone knows that this can happen, and now I know. Guess my point on this is that would it not be reasonable for the mfg to put a red marking or something on the extension to let a new user know when the legs are extened too far? When you buy extension pole saws, etc., there is always something to let you know that it can only be extended so far before it becomes unsafe. According to the dealer, the legs had dropped so far that the pin was on top the leg, not thru it. That being the case, when I go to pick it up, before I move it 1 foot, I'm going to drop the legs to that point, and paint a red strip around the leg in the 2nd hole from the end so if I see red, I know I've gone too far.

At least, Enterprise Rental gave me a 2005 F150 to cruise around in to ease the withdrawl symptoms of not having my baby to drive.

Thanx for letting me get all this pain and suffering off my chest.

Ya'all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Larry

Expensive lessons are the one's you don't repeat (usually)

I was told by a wise 5W owner that you should always extend your front jacks about 4 to 6 inches before you drop the extensions.  Reason being that you have a lot of weight resting on those two legs.  Would you rather have the 2.5" tube or the 2" tube supporting it.  I have only had my 5W for 1.5 years and I have never exceeded the maximum throw of the extensions.  But I agree for those who do not subscribe to the wise mans theory, a red line would be a marvelous aid.

Normalwa

I'm unclear on just how this happened... are you saying the locking pins jumped out of the holes or something like that? What was that that allowed the front end to drop?  I can't say that I've ever heard of "extending the legs too far", except that the further they are dropped down, the more they tend to wobble a bit.  I always preferred a combination of hydraulic and mechanical extention for the landing gear when we tow3ed a fiver.

Many, if not most, fifth wheels owners have at least started to drive out from under an unsupported trailer at one time or another. Sitting around the campfire, if one 5W person admits to it the others will usually say, "Yeah, I did that once too..."  When I did it, the damage was tiny but not everyone is so lucky.

Thanx for the 'sympathy' folks. I still have nightmares about it. It would have been so simple to have prevented it and I wouldn't be going thru sever withdrawls of not having my truck. The truck is in the body shop as I'm typing, and I'll be in SF all next week for some training. Hopefully, all will be well when I return so I can pick it up. After a few more discussions with the RV dealer, what we have pretty much determined is that when I pulled the pins to drop the extension legs, the the legs actually dropped below the pins, so no support to keep them in the hydraulic legs. Since the pins went right back in fully when I released the, I figured that I was home safe - ya right! Normalwa, that is a good idea .. please thank the 'wise 5W owner' for me. Extending the hydraulic legs a few inches before dropping the extensions is an excellent idea. You would have to be parked over a ditch for that not to work. I'll remember that, but I'm still going to paint the red lines around the legs that would show if they drop beyond the second hole from the end, I don't really want to go thru that again.

Normalwa said:
I was told by a wise 5W owner that you should always extend your front jacks about 4 to 6 inches before you drop the extensions.  Reason being that you have a lot of weight resting on those two legs.  Would you rather have the 2.5" tube or the 2" tube supporting it.  I have only had my 5W for 1.5 years and I have never exceeded the maximum throw of the extensions.  But I agree for those who do not subscribe to the wise mans theory, a red line would be a marvelous aid.

Normalwa

I guess that is why I see so many 5ers in campgrounds with lage wooden blocks under the front jacks.

Our preflight instructor taught us to drop the tubes and then pull then back up one hole (1") before putting the pins back in.  I thought it had something to do with having enough travel but that also insures that you have at least 1" of the inner tube in the outer tube.

You should also look into getting a bedsaver as well? It's a good peace of mind.

RV Roamer said:
I'm unclear on just how this happened...

I think what he is saying is the inner tubes dropped BELOW the locking pins so that they were not secure in the outer tube (that is the locks snapped right back in, there was nothing to stop them, normally the locks would hit solid tube and not snap in till you drop the outer tubes an inch or two)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom