I have a puzzle for the forum! My pantry is mysteriously stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

I have a sliding pantry in the kitchen area, I attach two pics. For the last two years since I bought it, the shelves have slid in and out just fine. We moved two weeks ago; I didn't touch the shelves, just shut the door. When we arrived, the shelves were stuck in place. If I yank on them, I can tell it's stuck at the bottom front corner. I've picked around that point with every tool I can think of and it won't budge, and I can't tell why. Does the forum have any magic for me? Thanks all!

Pantry1.jpegPantry2.jpeg

The only issue I see is light rust on the lower glide.. Don't think it's enough to sieze the thing
Somewhere there is a locking pin. I did not see it (or other type of latch I also did not see)

The only issue I see is light rust on the lower glide.. Don't think it's enough to sieze the thing
Somewhere there is a locking pin. I did not see it (or other type of latch I also did not see)
I had the exact same pantry and mine did not have a locking pin.

I would ask the OP can you remove all the items from that bottom shelf and the shelf? It may be something fell our back jamming it. Hopefully it’s not one of the ball bearings somehow jamming it.

The typical problem is the one Rene suggests - something on one of the basket-shelves is jamming the mechanism. I don't see rust on the actual roller mechanism - just on the mounting plate.

Does the slider move a bit and then jam, perhaps with a "clunk" noise, or will it not move even a fraction of an inch?

Maybe not a pin but a catch that needs to be released? Are these the self close drawer guides that have a bit of resistance when opened? The photo shows these are a bit "crusty"- are they just stuck? Not hard to imagine that during travel especially if it was loaded the rack twisted or shifted and now the guides are bound up. If it's not something jamming it then you'll have to try pushing and pulling from different directions to get it unbound.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I would do as Rene suggests and first remove everything from the bottom shelf and shine a strong light into the area to check for something having fallen. The fact that it happened after traveling tends to make that a likely cause. If that isn't it, the slide looks to be very much like a drawer glide and it might help to lubricate it. Finding a way to see up into the track area would be my first step.

I would bet on a retainer of some sort to prevent the shelves from spilling out the contents..>>>Dan
That style of shelf doesn’t have any type of retainers. They are deep enough so nothing (famous last words) will fall out except maybe a tall cooking oil bottle.

I built and installed my own designed system very similar to this one,, my door has a latch that prohibits its opening while traveling down the road.. Have you ever lubricated the rollers to keep them rolling freely,??..>>>Dan

Remove all the products. Remove all of the racks. Verify which slide assembly is stuck, upper or lower. Take a hammer and lightly tap along the stuck slide while attempting to pull it in and out. Once you get it out, determine what the problem is. Lubrication on the lower slide is certainly needed. I would consider removing the lower slide to clean and lubricate. Lightly use WD40 if you plan to use it while installed as WD40 in the cabinet area will smell like a workshop and get down onto the cabinet veneer. Not a good place for that.

It only takes a small piece of something to get into the track and lock it up. It could be a screw or fastener from the assembly itself. Keep an eye open for that.

Take your time and try not to force it too much as that could make the problem worse.

Looking at the pictures, it appears that one of the rivets holding the slide mechanism together is pulling out. It may be jamming against the slide.

There is a piece at the bottom in the center of the lower mounting bracket that appears to support the shelving. That piece looks like it is bent outward at the top, possibly catching the shelving frame. (silver aluminum looking piece, below the white shelving frame.)

Sorry I haven't answered! I had tried the other suggestions and failed. These new suggestions are great, thank you, I will try today.

Looking at the pictures, it appears that one of the rivets holding the slide mechanism together is pulling out. It may be jamming against the slide.
I was gonna comment on this as well. Don't rule out something failed in the cluster of metals that makes the slide. If the bucked end of that rivet fell inside the track it could be the culprit.

Rene and everyone else is on track - empty all the shelves and ensure nothing is jammed up towards the back but I think your first impression that it is jammed at the lower bracket assy is most likely.

Thank you all and especially kdbgoat! you were right, the doohickey you circled had bent. I viciously attacked it with my biggest, baddest flathead screwdriver and it surrendered immediately. The pantry shelves now slide perfectly, and the negotiated surrender terms state they will never do it again. Thank you all so much!

One thing not mentioned here about this problem.... is it possible the trailer itself is in a bind when leveling. If one of the stabilizer jacks are tighter than the others, it could be twisting the frame just enough to cause the slide on that rack to be jammed. Before dismantling everything, release the tension from your stabilizer jacks and let the entire trailer just relax naturally on the frame from the tires. See if it works then. It might be just that simple.

=== Edit ---

Well scrub that idea since the OP solived the problem! Good job on letting that little beastie know who's boss!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom