I have a puzzle for the forum! My pantry is mysteriously stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That’s awesome. Thanks for getting back to us.
I wonder what that piece does and how did it get bent

Last edited:
To the Original poster
THANK YOU for letting us know what the problem was and that you fixed it.
Amazing how many people do not do that.
This helps us to help others. So THANK YOU.

That’s awesome. Thanks for getting back to us.
I wonder what that piece does and how did it get bent
I think as stated it's a "slider" support to assist the two tracks on fore and aft. As the shelf comes out when loaded I am guessing it could sag without that support.

It probably need to be more parallel with the floor at the top side of it. It could have been waiting to snag for a while and just the right amount of loading made it catch and bend up enough to snag.

Great solution!

Glad you got it fixed, and and as others said, thank you for letting us know what the fix was. It may be worth it to also correct the loose rivet others mentioned.

I have the exact same pantry and I just went out to look at mine. What I found was that there is a spring loaded pin inside the front vertical square tubing. When you slide the pantry all the way in, that pin and spring is compressed when it rides up over that curved piece of metal which people think is bent. It’s suppose to be that way. Also on top of that sheet metal is a hole which the pin drops into. This locks the pantry from coming out when traveling. The only way to disengage the pin is by using a small screwdriver and push up on the pin high enough so that it’s out of the hole. I never knew about that pin and never pushed mine in far enough for that pin to compress and drop into the hole. What a dumb design.
When I close my slide out the pantry door goes up against the center island we have so the shelving never was able to slide out.

I just went back out and took a couple of pictures. One picture shows the pin as it is about to ride up onto the sheet metal and the othe picture shows the pin sticking down from the square tubing framework. The sheet metal acts like a striker on a regular door. The pin rides up on it and then falls into a hole. Unless you get down on your knees and look up you’ll never see the pin.

Attachments

• D9A16397-873E-4696-8F03-F00DD2FE053E.jpeg
    D9A16397-873E-4696-8F03-F00DD2FE053E.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 60FEA246-BB32-472D-9668-EB6FA2F6452A.jpeg
    60FEA246-BB32-472D-9668-EB6FA2F6452A.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Is the hole big enough to accommodate the pin diameter? I am guessing the pin is bigger than the hole and acts more like a detent rather than a lock.

With no convenient way to unlock it that would be way dumb...

I could understand a locking mechanism like that, but have a handle built into the upright to slide up and release it. Having to get down to floor level with a screwdriver is insane.

It was getting the best of me so I went out one more time and took a real close look. If the Op looks at the backside of the square tubing. Go up about 12” and you’ll see a small lever. When you push down on it, it will disengage to pin out of the hole.
Am I glad that’s done. Now what’s next.🥸🥸🥸

Living in an RV is certainly an adventure, and you learn the strangest things that you will probably never, ever need to know for the rest of your life.

It was getting the best of me so I went out one more time and took a real close look. If the Op looks at the backside of the square tubing. Go up about 12” and you’ll see a small lever. When you push down on it, it will disengage to pin out of the hole.
Am I glad that’s done. Now what’s next.🥸🥸🥸

RVForum.net - Unraveling life's mysteries one slide in shelf at a time.

Well done...

I found the lever! Holy cow! Thank you so much, I never would have found it.

You are welcome. Glad I could help. I also want to thank you.

Did you destroy that striker plate at the bottom with your screwdriver or is it still OK? I’ve never used mine because I didn’t know it was there but I’m going to start using that lock feature. Glad to see it worked out for you. I wonder how many more members have the same style pantry.

Back
Top Bottom