i have plugged rv to 220 since then the air conditioner doesn?t work !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hunt3rks4

hi everyone sorry about my english dosnt help much too write perfectly  :-[

( dutchmen sport / 2001 )
I accidently plugged in the 110v rv plug into 220 v at that moment i heard a sound coming from the power  unit and  smell of burning , and the air conditioned it is not working any more!!
could anyone help me out wht this issue  :-\

I'm afraid you've made an extremely expensive mistake, one that's almost certainly going to require professional help.  The air conditioner is going to require professional repairs or more likely complete replacement with a new unit.  You probably also destroyed anything else that was trying to run on shore power, like your converter.  Hopefully, even if the converter fried, it kept any of the over-voltage from getting into your 12 volt system and frying your water pump, powered roof vents, lights, etc.  Anything that wasn't turned on when it happened is probably still ok. But you're going to need either an RV tech or an electrician to look everything over.  You may have also damaged circuit breakers and other stuff.  A professional who's seen this before will know what to check.

Sorry, there's really no good news here . . .

Ouch!!! You  may have a few other things that have been fried with that error. Check your microwave, if equipped, the TV's, converter etc. You will likely have to replace all those.

The best way to avoid that in the future is to check any unknown outlet first with a voltmeter. Plugging a trailer into a 220V outlet is too easy as the plugs are very similar

Alfa38User said:
Ouch!!! You  may have a few other things that have been fried with that error. Check your microwave, if equipped, the TV's, converter etc. You will likely have to replace all those.

The best way to avoid that in the future is to check any unknown outlet first with a voltmeter. Plugging a trailer into a 220V outlet is too easy as the plugs are very similar
I think the problem is most people do not understand the difference between 110 and 220.

I'd like to know how he got a 30 amp RV plug,  to fit into a 220 volt receptacle..... (maybe a dryer plug ?)

they are made so you can't do that ?

Mod edits: multiple rude posts removed. For heaven's sake folks, in accordance with forum policy address the issue and not the person or step away from the keyboard. Did we all suddenly forget the rules (and our manners)? The OP has an issue (that many have had) that he has asked help in resolving - stick to that topic.

Sun2Retire said:
Mod edits: multiple rude posts removed. For heaven's sake folks, in accordance with forum policy address the issue and not the person or step away from the keyboard. Did we all suddenly forget the rules (and our manners)? The OP has an issue (that many have had) that he has asked help in resolving - stick to that topic.

There was absolutely nothing rude about my comment/reply to Seilerbird, and in fact, scolded him for making such a remark!

SeilerBird said:
I was talking about the human race in general.

The comment could have easily been taken as directed to the OP. That, and references which included it, were moved.

I'd like to know how he got a 30 amp RV plug,  to fit into a 220 volt receptacle..... (maybe a dryer plug ?)

they are made so you can't do that ?
They aren't always made that way. The older-style 220v/30A outlet is near identical to the 30A/120v type and it only takes a bit of extra effort to push the 120v plug into the 220v outlet.  Newer 220/240v outlets are 4-pin rather than 3 pin, but there are many of the older 3-pin dryer and welder outlets installed across North America and naive RV owners regularly make the fatal mistake.

(or..  that comment was directed to me..  8) )

As I remember it ....the ground prong is a completely different,  one a right angle "L" shape, and the other is a "U" or round shape.

I suspect he may be in Europe where everything is 220vac 50 Hertz. We have 240vac 60 Hertz in the USA. Not understanding our system system may have led him to plug into 220vac.

We plug into 240vac (50 amps) but use a ground along with it to devide the 240v into 2 lines at 120v. 50 amp lines. So unless one understands the differences between the systems here and in most of the rest of the world it is not difficult to create this problem.

It will require someone who understands electrical systems to resolve/replace defective components.

Harry is closest. The OP is in Saudi Arabia, where they've been in the process of converting from a 127V single phase system to 230V single phase, to bring them in line with other Gulf states. I don't know where in the conversion process they currently are.

sightseers said:
(or..  that comment was directed to me..  8) )

As I remember it ....the ground prong is a completely different,  one a right angle "L" shape, and the other is a "U" or round shape.

Still fits though.. And I'm not sure some older outlets did not have round. I go back about 45  years or more on outlets... And my memory of the dryer outlets in my parent's houses was very much like the TT-30.  But I stress it is memory and very old so some rust is possible.

Had a Moose Lodge Governor ask me if I'd tried to plug into their 60 amp outlet (had not yet found it but already knew it was 240 volt.. I did not find the outlet till later.. I had however seen the circuit breakers and all the 60's were dual ganged 240 volt type.. Ok, I cheat).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom