I may never backup my files again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

...because I found out last week that backup software is not really what I've wanted for several years now.  What I've really wanted is file synchronization software.  Today's typical backup software, such as TrueImage, will backup drives, partitions, or directories into a proprietary backup file structure that needs the backup software to view or restore the backup contents.  When you want to backup changing files on a regular basis, you have to do an incremental or differential backup that chains you to a sequence of those proprietary backup file structures.

What I've really wanted for several years now is to keep an up-to-date copy of specific data file directories on a backup hard drive.  Such directories are those that contain all my word processor documents, spreadsheets, photos, e-mail, scanned copies, etc. 

I don't really need to continually backup changing program executable files or operating system  files -- having a backup copy of those is rarely useful unless you are restoring a whole partition.  If you are recovering from disaster, you usually need to reinstall the software to ensure it is working correctly.

Last week I found software that is really suited to what I want to do -- Allway Sync.  And to top it all off, it is free for personal use.  When you run the program, you define specific file synchronization jobs that you will want to do on a regular basis.  A "job" tells the program to synchronize a specific origin directory structure to another specified directory.  In my case, I synchronize from my desktop to an external hard drive connected via USB.  If you define it to be a one-way synchronization with file-deletions propagated, then you are maintaining an "exact" copy of your original file structure.  [You can also define two-way synchronization -- if you were to add a file to the backup directory, it would propagate backwards to the original directory.]  You can either run these jobs manually at your convenience or you can specify 7 different ways to do them automatically -- either periodically or under specific conditions.

The advantage of making this kind of synchronized copy is that you are not tied into a proprietary backup format -- your files are immediately usable in the standard Windows directory structure.  I can take my external USB hard drive and plug it into my wife's PC or my laptop and view & work with those files as-is.

I'm not going to throw away my TrueImage software yet, however.  I think its best use is to make full partition images of pristine installations for disaster recovery purposes.  If I was starting from scratch (or bought a new PC), I would install Windows and run Windows Update until it was current.  Then I would make a TrueImage partition backup so that I could easily get back to that pristine point if needed.  I would then install the software that I consistently use and then make another TrueImage partition backup.  Then I would load all my "personal" data files from my synchronized backup copy. 

Conservative person that I am, I will make periodic data DVD copies of my synchronized data files for archiving purposes -- maybe on a semi-annual basis.

You really need several different types of backup to be really secure and to insure a quick recovery from a disaster.  The image backup will get you back up in the event of a total loss of your hard drive, while the synchronization backup will let you recover the most recent version of a file quickly.  But if you need to get a version of a file that is several days, or weeks, old, then multiple versions of the image backups (using incrementals usually) are the easiest solution.  I use image backups, synchronization to another drive, and an online backup (mozy.com) for my crucial files like financial data.  There is no one simple backup solution, but any backup is better than none.

I?m no geek so most of the techo talk above is over my head. BUT I?m a nut for never wanting to reload XP or anything else so I also use True Image. However I do it a little differently seeing I have a lot of drives over 500 gigs. Each drive is made up of use full size partitions and C is from 20-30G. On a fresh install I do a full True Image at different stages, usually BEFORE a new program install. I end up with perhaps 6-10 FRESH images, which by the way I boot another drive with to make sure that image works. After I?m set up I do a new image about every 10 days. These images are saved on several drives NOT continually attached to the computer for safety reasons. This method takes only < 10 minutes to image my 10-13G C drive contents which now have a lot of clutter and I?ll soon go back to a later installed CLEAN image and start again. For the most part I don?t use C for storage of MPs, Movies, talking books or photos, that?s what the other partitions are for. To backup these partitions the items are just dragged to another drives partition. I have quite a few 2-400G partitions for different types of music, photos types, family, grand kids etc.  The wonderful aging process has increased my ability to lose, forget where things are so I made up a long list of drive contents which I back up. ;)

There is a time and place for back up like Acronis True Image (I have a copy about a fraction of an inch below my right hand just now (CD-Drive tray) and a time and place for sync software (I have Sync-tool too)

I had a disc drive giving me warnings.. I ran ACRONIS and made a full back up.. Headed to Comp-Useless (now closed) and got a newer, bigger, HD, re-ran Acronis off CD and lost a great grand total of zero bytes of stuff, programs, data, drivers, operating system, all there.. Old drive.. Well that back up was the LAST thing it ever did.  When I went to re-boot to Windows after running Acronis (Which is a Linux based program if I'm not mistaken) it failed.

And that's not a one time deal.. Happend a few times (Different back up software)

I've also had a Firefox extension update go south and needed to do a restore from back up to fix it.  And to track down which of several updates that caused it so I could disable that update and report it..

That's what back up software is for

Now copying data computer to compute..... I can do that with True Image too but sync tool is easier to use

John I had some difficulty at times with TI when I first started to use it. Even though I verified the backup it would not always boot the new drive. On the TI forum the ?GEEKS? recommended quite strongly that when recovering to use the emergency boot disk that you make. Using it I first load the main image and then come back and load the MBL, I think it?s called. Never a problem after starting to use this procedure. Also don?t have both drives hooked up together on the first reboot. Evidently confusion is created the first time?

Well, for what it's worth, there's NO way I'd be without regular backups within my total control!  I've put too many hours into some of the stuff (genealogy) on my computer to ever risk losing it.  In fact, I have backups of the backups and they've saved my bacon more than once.

ArdraF

Ardra,

Do you have any backups off site?  You could have two dozen backups but if they are all at your house and your house burns down they are ALL gone.

Back
Top Bottom