I need 2" baggage door latches that are *thin*?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KylerLaird

I bought ten of the "Sierra Pacific RV E521 2" Monaco/Winnebago Style Baggage Door Latch Compartment Hardware Plunger catch" on Amazon, thinking that I'd replace one latch that was missing(!) and have plenty on hand for when I need replacement.  I was shocked to find that they don't fit.

My old latches are just a little bit thinner than the new ones.  I started to grind a bigger hole but realized I'd have to grind all the way back.  I dread doing that, especially for all of the doors.

Where can I get thin latches???

Thanks!

--kyler

Attachments

• plungers.jpg
    plungers.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 51
Welcome to the RV Forum kyler

Instead of grinding a bigger hole....Could you grind down the latches on a bench grinder?

I bought a baggage latch that was supposed to fit, of course it didn't but the plunger looked like it was the right size so I took the old one apart (had to drill out the rivets) and used the plunger from the new one in the old one and it worked like a charm

Norm

I went through that latch issue on my last motorhome and got tired of changing the broken plastic parts so I duplicated the plungers out of aluminum and rebuilt all 24 latches. A couple of years later RB MACHINING started making them. Don't waste your money on those plastic plunger latches.
https://www.motorhomelatches.com

I appreciate the replies, All!  It's good to know that I'm not alone in having this problem.

I'd consider tackling a rebuild but this truck was delivered completely missing a latch.  (It's just one of many broken/missing items on this "ready to go" vehicle...)

I thought about grinding the new latches but it's a lot of thin surface to grind.  If I had a mill handy, I'd go for it...but I don't...yet.

I ordered a couple much more expensive latches as an experiment.  One was exactly the same as the batch I first bought.  The Fleetwood latch, however, is more promising.  It looks very similar to mine, but has 3" hole spacing.  Also, the rivets protrude quite a bit.  I can get it in the hole with a bit of force but getting it out takes even more.

I like the look of the RB Machining latches.  And their Fleetwood latch comes with both 2" and 3" holes?!  I haven't found any other Fleetwood 2" latches.

I'll probably drill 2" holes in this Fleetwood latch that I've got but I'll give RB Machining a try next.

Thank you!

Attachments

• plungers4.jpg
    plungers4.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 10
It's late and I'm lazy.  I decided to just drill 3" holes.  The Fleetwood latch worked fine.

So, in summary...there are two thicknesses of latch.  Thinner is Fleetwood and thicker is Monaco/Winnebago.  Also, the Fleetwoods come in 2" and 3" hole spacing, but good luck finding the 2" other than RB Machining.

BTW, as I installed the latches I put a hook in the end of each control rod.  There seemed to be plenty of slack and I don't know how they stay in with just a right angle at the end.  Sure feels better now.  (There was one missing before and then the control rod for the other latch slipped, prompting my work on it.)

Back
Top Bottom