I need a DIPSTICK for a 1990 Allegro with a Ford 460

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geneagray

My rig has an Ajusto OIL MONITOR that is broken. So...I've decided to remove it.
I found out where it connects to the dipstick tube, but now I need a dipstick.

Does anyone know how long the dipstick has to be? I know that I could change the oil and measure using a coat hanger or braided cable, but it would be so helpful if someone with my rig or equivalent could measure their's.

I have a 1990 Allegro 30' Class A, with a Ford 460, and the dipstick tube is accessible from the front, under the hood.
Thank you, anyone, for a clue.
Gene

If call a Ford dealer with the vin# they should be able to look up the part  number for the dipstick.

Or call an RV wrecker. Chances are there's one sitting around somewhere! I'd bet money all the Ford (F53?) chassis with that specific motor use the same dipstick.

You can't just order a "Ford 460 dipstick" cause Ford won't know what size you need. The dipstick tube and length is determined by the chassis builder when the engine is installed and varies with  the access to and position of the dipstick tube.

A 1990 Allegro may have a John Deere chassis with that Ford engine, but knowing that doesn't help much.  I think measuring what you have is the most practical method, but finding a similar chassis in a salvage yard will work if you get lucky.

Here's some information from a 1995 Ford F53 chassis motorhome.  The dipstick comes up on the driver's side of the engine to a point just above and slightly behind the rear edge of the radiator.  Yours is probably the same, I doubt Ford made any running change to the 460 F53 dipstick during the intervening years.  I've included some pictures as a reference, click on them to enlarge.

Dipstick Number: F3TD-6750-BA

Length from TOP of end cup to Full Mark: 47 7/8 inches
Length from TOP of end cup to Add Mark:  48 3/4 inches

Attachments

• Ford F53 Dipstick full-add.jpg
    Ford F53 Dipstick full-add.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Ford F53 Dipstick.jpg
    Ford F53 Dipstick.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10
  • Ford F53 Dipstick Location.jpg
    Ford F53 Dipstick Location.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Ford F53 Dipstick Measurement Point.jpg
    Ford F53 Dipstick Measurement Point.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Ford Dipstick F3TD-6750-BA.jpg
    Ford Dipstick F3TD-6750-BA.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 11
geneagray said:
Thank you so much for all of the trouble you have gone to. I appreciate it.
Gene

Good luck finding one that long. I did some searching, but found only 9.5" long ones. You may have to make your own using a piece of long brass welding rod. I did find this long one on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/D2TZ-6750-A-Ford-F100-F150-F250-1966-1982-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-Dipstick-Handle/382618953597?hash=item5915dde77d

If you're going to make your own, go to a NAPA and buy a speedometer cable repair kit.  It's basically the flexible, wound cable that goes inside of an old style housing. 

It appears from what I see available online that there are two alternate locations for a dipstick tube on a 460, either the valve cover or direct to the oil pan. One is long, the other shorter. Which do you have?
Dorman is a major supplier of components for vehicles and they have dipstick tubes and dipsticks for applications back as far as your 1990. I see a tube and dipstick for a 1990 F53 in their catalog, so it should be orderable thru NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc.  Whether that works for yours, or whether you even have an F53 vs a John Deere chassis remains to be determined.

Ford does supply dipstick tubes and the dipstick with there RV engines They are not installed later. Ford NEVER put the dipstick in the valve cover. Ford did put the dipstick in the timing gear cover many years ago. All EFI 460 have the dipstick in a tube going in the left side of the oil pan. Oshkosh did not install the dipstick, it comes from Ford.

Back
Top Bottom