I need help with a hydraulic fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryDShepard

I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport with a HWH leveling system. I have blown a hydraulic hose on one of my back leveling jacks. Unfortunately it's the long hose that runs the length of the RV. I have the hose loose and the end that split is hanging out over the back tire so I can get to it. I am planing on ordering a reusable fitting if I can't find one locally.

Here is the problem, I'm not sure of what I need. The hose is a HWH-04 35821. I know this is a 1/4 id but I'm not sure of the size and style of the female swivel I need. A 5/8 wrench fits it.

I have a call into HWH but have not gotten a return call yet.

I'm on a camp site just south of Branson so I'm limited on what I can do.

Call Paul Maddox at 1-602-549-3638.  He does troubleshooting for HWH, and usually answers his phone right away, or leave a message, and he will get back to you quickly. He will point you in the right direction. 

If you can get the hose end out where it is accessible a local hydraulic shop may be able to put a new end on it for you.  I would suggest calling around to a couple of local hydraulic shops to see if they may be able to help.  I know one guy had a similar issue and a local shop with a mobile service truck was able to back up to his coach and the hose was able to reach the truck mounted hose crimper.

GaryDShepard said:
I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport with a HWH leveling system. I have blown a hydraulic hose on one of my back leveling jacks. Unfortunately it's the long hose that runs the length of the RV. I have the hose loose and the end that split is hanging out over the back tire so I can get to it. I am planing on ordering a reusable fitting if I can't find one locally.

Here is the problem, I'm not sure of what I need. The hose is a HWH-04 35821. I know this is a 1/4 id but I'm not sure of the size and style of the female swivel I need. A 5/8 wrench fits it.

I have a call into HWH but have not gotten a return call yet.

I'm on a camp site just south of Branson so I'm limited on what I can do.

Reading your post, it sounds like you want to replace the fitting yourself. You won't be able to as far as I know. I don't know what kind of pressures your hose see's  but I would assume at least 1500 PSI and the average person will not have the proper tools to fix this.
If you can remove the entire hose, bring it to a local hydraulic shop and have them inspect it. It may need to be replaced where it's 18 years old. If not, they'll have the fittings and will install them using hydraulic crimping tools/machine.

Adding to what others have said, I've had hydraulic hoses 'made' at a local tractor parts store; They provide the appropriate hose and fittings, and attach the latter with their heavy duty crimper. We live in the Central Valley of California, and there are farms for hundreds of miles, all with tractors working continuously. Thus the proliferation of tractor parts/repair stores.

You need to find a mobile hydraulic hose repair. Have them come to you. Just yesterday, I saw a van stopped at a light. On-site hose was the name on the van.  Also check with a local NAPA store.

those are high pressure hoses. Most "Home done" barbs won't stay on I fear.. A Farm Tractor supply MAY have a portable hydraulic crimper (I have seen one once for eletrical joints) that can do the job.. Or so I'm told but I will be following this thread because.... Same problem.  I have not yet checkd with a tractor dealer. None on my summer beaten path (Though I'nm only a couple of miles from one but I'm in a hurry when I pull out tomorrow) Will likely take care of when in SC (not all that far out of the way there either).

Just so ya'know, there are hydraulic hose fittings that a diy person can install with normal hand tools. And yes, they work very well.

They make reusable hydraulic fittings that go up to at least 1500 psi. The-04 signifies 1/4" ID hose. If you measure the OD and know the fitting size you can probably find an end fitting. The outer piece threads over the hose with a left hand thread. The inner piece threads into the neck of the outer fitting and expands the hose further into the threads of the outer fitting. I have used many of this type of fitting on boat hydraulic steering systems.

Thanks for all of the replies. I know what size reusable fitting to use. What I'm looking for is what is the female fitting itself, 1/2 jic 30 degree flare? I believe there are 2 common jic angles and maybe other hydraulic other than jic.

GaryDShepard said:
The hose is a HWH-04 35821. I know this is a 1/4 id but I'm not sure of the size and style of the female swivel I need. A 5/8 wrench fits it.

I would say 5/16" JIC (which is 37*)  the 5/16" would correspond to a 1/4" hose I.D.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/R5-05-605.html

On my old HWH cylinders the fittings are 1/4" JIC  which uses 3/16" I.D. hose.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/R5-04-604.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom