I screwed up.... frozen batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Rusty_

Well I screwed up big time.  Left my RV at a storage place and check on it every couple weeks. Last trip I turned on a light to  view the mouse bucket and must have left the light and battery switch on. Two weeks later, the steps won't open with the door.  No electric available to me there,  so I pulled the batteries and brought them home. Opened to check I fluid before charging and ..... icebergs  :'(

I don't know if they will survive this, but am thawing them out and then will recharge.  I honestly did not know a battery would freeze , and this will be an expensive lesson to be sure.

That is when a battery will freeze is when it's discharged. The lower the voltage under 12.0 volts, the greater the chance that it will be unsalvageable. It is not recommended to attempt to charge a frozen battery. Instead put it somewhere to thaw naturally until it is completely ice free. Then check the voltage and charge if possible. 

If your battery sat for that long discharged it is probably too far gone.

As the battery drains its power, the electrolyte gradually changes from acid to essentially plain water, and water freezes.  The biggest danger is that the ice breaks the lead plates and and internal connections, or it fractures the case itself (letting the electrolyte leak out as it thaws). If you see fluid leaking out while thawing, it's a goner. If not, start charging very slowly once it is thawed.  Add distilled water if the electrolyte isn't fully covering the plates. Pray.

Well.. under the conditions I would do exactly as you are doing (Thaw and PRAY) but I'd also plan on laying out some $$$$ for new batteries...  Still.. you might get lucky.

Well, they ( 2 x 6 V batteries) have been on charge for 24 hours at slow rate and are now up to 25 %.  :-\

_Rusty_ said:
Well, they ( 2 x 6 V batteries) have been on charge for 24 hours at slow rate a d are now up to 25 %.  :-\

I'd just let em be for several days on your really low rate, then see what you've got.

BTW Bill, I'll be about 30 miles from Punxsutawney after about mid April, I'll drop you a note when I get up there

_Rusty_ said:
Well, they ( 2 x 6 V batteries) have been on charge for 24 hours at slow rate and are now up to 25 %.  :-\

They are coming up. That a good sign..They may still work just not as well.

Not to be negative, but for about $200 you can replace them with Costco batteries.  If you don't dry camp a lot go for it, but if you do, I'd be worried.....

-Kyle

Batteries Plus has 6 volt golf cart batteries for about the same price if you aren't a Costco member.

So this morning they were up to 56% on the charger control panel. (60 hours on chg). This afternoon, the unit says 100% chg and auto switched to maintain mode. Of course I cannot find my bulb manometer to confirm it but I'm suspicious it cranked out the last 40% in 10 hours.  Will wait and see what the "acid test" gives me. ???

Rusty, the tool you're looking for is a hydrometer,  not a manometer.

If you have a lot of batteries, I would consider an automatic battery disconnect. They disengage at a certain voltage to save the batteries from over discharging.

OK, so this is where I am at.  Charged both batteries at low charge rate for 2 days each, then joined them together and charged again.  It was overnight and they said completed and maintaining.  Let that run for a day, and took them off.  Waited a couple days (last Friday) and started checking voltages.  Here is what I saw:
Battery A / Battery B / Combined / Day

6.53      |    6.56      |  13.07      Fri

6.49      |    6.50      |  12.99      Sat

6.47      |    6.47      |  12.95      Sun

6.46      |    6.45      |  12.92      Mon

6.45      |    6.44      |    12.89      Tue

Today an attempt to read the Specific Gravity for all cells was attempted.

1.222    /    1.225  (pretty much the same in all cells)

Based on the Battery Information in the Forum Library, the Spec. G. indicates between 80% and 90% charged.  If that is true, then perhaps I will get some more use from these but I will continue to monitor closely.
On a side-note, they are covered under a 1-year replacement guarantee, If I decide they are not keeping a charge the retailer said he would replace them.  He said they have no way to test a 6 v other than the hydrometer and if it won't charge fully he will give me new.... what a guy!!

Back
Top Bottom