I spoke too soon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A few days ago I was thinking aloud when I commented to Chris that we might replace the main (tube) TV in the coach with a flat screen. That night the TV went poof! Since I used to repair these things for a living at one time, I have good idea what's wrong with it. But I just might take the opportunity to remove all that weight hanging from the ceiling and, at the same time, pick up some much-needed up-front cabinet space.

Any suggestions on type of TV - LCD, plasma, DLP, etc? Seems like it was only a few months ago I was going down this road to replace the large TV at home. I don't know if there are different considerations when selecting a TV for the coach.

The old TV is out, sitting on the floor of the coach. This gave me an opportunity to properly secure the center channel speaker that has threatened to drop off the bottom of the TV cabinet as we bounce down the road. Through bolts with a backing plate are much preferred to wood screws into the bottom of the TV cabinet. Probably some engineer's idea of saving a few cents.

Tom

>>Any suggestions on type of TV - LCD, plasma, DLP,<<

LCD for sure...not effected by altitude hum & lower power consumption than the Plasma's.

Not plasma. uses too much energy and is prone to breakage., does not tolerate high altitudes.

Tom,

Once you get a new LCD you'll NEVER hit your head again on the TV cabinet.  If you want photos and a description of what Davis Cabinet did for us tell me.

JerryF

Tom,

I just recently purchased an 32" LG 32LC2D with 1600:1 contrast ratio  LCD television, and I must say the picture is amazing ! Highly recommend it.

Definitely LCD flat panel.  I don't think you don't want a projector-type in the coach (DLP or LCD projection), since they are 15 inches deep and might get alignment problems from the road vibration & bumps.  Besides, the smallest DLP is probably well over 40 inches.  Some high end coaches are using plasma panels, but they do have the minor drawbacks that others alluded to.

Thanks Jerry. I recall what Davis did for you, but I wouldn't mind seeing a photo to see some detail. Chris and I were looking at our TV cabinet last evening and it doesn't look like it would end up as neat as yours.

BTW Shawn gave me a ballpark quote when we were in Junction City last year - around $10K. Because of the configuration of our cabinets, he was suggesting ripping it all out and starting fresh. I don't think we'll be doing that.

Thanks all for the LCD suggestion. I'm not sure I'm ready to go shopping for another TV but ...

Tom said:
Thanks all for the LCD suggestion. I'm not sure I'm ready to go shopping for another TV but ...

I know this is almost blasphemy, but...

Why don't you think about replacing the TV with an LCD TV of the same size?  You won't need to do much with the cabinet, and, if you mount it on a hinge or slides, you can use the space behind it for storage.  Alternatively, you could cut the depth down pretty easily to the same as the other cabinets.

AlGriefer said:
Why don't you think about replacing the TV with an LCD TV of the same size?

That's what we decided to do last night Al and that's how we'll pick up "additional cabinet space". Reducing the depth might look a little goofy because the two side cabinets are significantly different (that's why I'd like to see the detail of Jerry's). If I decide to reduce the depth of the large cabinet, I'll probably do that myself.

OTOH I could do what two friends of mine are doing to upgrade their TVs - they each ordered a new Monaco Signature  ;D

Heck Tom, if you are wanting to discard that old beatup Monaco, I'd be willing to get into position to accept it.  Might even throw in my ole Pace Arrow in the deal.  I think I could somewhere find an old TV that might work in the Monaco. That way you can 1 up your 2 friends that upgraded.  Of course you'd probably have to spend a week here in Zona PEM to explain all the options.    Glad you and all the others had a great trip to Moab.

LOL Shayne, I doubt we'll be changing the coach any time soon. In fact, I was a little surprised when Chris, who normally does most of the driving, said on the way home from Moab "This coach is just fine for our needs and we don't need to upgrade". Phew! That saves me a few $$$.

I hear that == I was just kidding you and wanted to get your reaction.  Just what I had hoped for>  I'd like to upgrade but just can't see any  reason to do so. Especially no more than we use it.

Tom,

Here are 3 photos of ours.  I think that $10,000 is outrageous.  Personally, I would consider a new motorhome before paying $10,00 for LCD cabinets.

Check with a CUSTOM maker of kitchen cabinets in your area.  They can get whatever type of wood you have in your interior.  You can also get any hardware pulls from Monaco.  If you decide to go this way we need to talk over the phone so I can answer questions and give you some of the finer points of my installation.

The front of my cabinet that holds the LCD screen hinges at the top (piano hinge).  It swings up toward the ceiling.  The box of electronics for the LCD is stacked vertically behind the LCD screen.

I have more photos if you want to see them.

Best of luck my friend,
JerryF

Attachments

• LCD TV-1.JPG
    LCD TV-1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 108
  • LCD TV-2.JPG
    LCD TV-2.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 108
  • LCD TV-3.JPG
    LCD TV-3.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 103
You have given me an idea for my Bedroom LCD tv,  Currently it's mounted on a wall mount ARM which allows it to be pulled out and turned a bit,  However I coudl just as easily (Easier in fact) mount it to a DOOR which would then be opened and closed like any cabnet to access what is behind it... Would be a lot more secure than the mount I use now, which has already self-dissassembled once (No damage thankfully)

Jerry,

Thank you very much for the photos. That's exactly what I wanted to see. Your adjacent cabinets appear to be the same size (front to back) whereas ours are different sizes.

We have an outstanding local custom cabinet shop that made the cabinets for our house when we remodelled. But, for what is needed for the TV, I think I can do the mods myself. OTOH since Chris has never hit her head, I might just use the existing cabinet with a hinged front so I can use the full cabinet space.

Thanks again for the photos. Much appreciated.

Today I finally got around to opening the main tube TV that went poof. Sure enough, my diagnosis was right on - the EHT transformer is arcing (aka the insulation on the windings is breaking down). I've seen this so many times and recognize the symptoms without opening the case. Used to be that some $5 EHT sealer from RadioShack would be enough to keep it running another few years, but they don't make the the transformers like they used to.

It's been hot and unusually humid here the last couple of days, so I'm not really up to fixing stuff in the garage. I'll wait until things cool down before I look for collateral damage and make the 'dump or repair' decision. As a result, I also haven't yet modified the wooden cabinet to accept a flat screen TV.

A big thanks to Jerry for the photos posted here and sent via email. If I decide to dip into the piggy bank and buy a new TV, I have a pretty good idea of what I can do to the cabinet.

Thanks also for the TV suggestions; LCD it would be.

Understood Karl. I've made a few resistors in my time, some deliberately, some not  ;)

Jerry:

This is the replacement in my Wanderlodge.  It is a LCD screen.  I did the swap-out myself.

Attachments

• Television change in BB 029 (Small).jpg
    Television change in BB 029 (Small).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom