I want to add a ?extend a stay? adapter kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WILDEBILL308

I want to add a ?extend a stay? adapter to my propane system. Has any one added one and where did you tap in to the system. I am thinking I want it on the right side so I can use it to also power my outside gas grill. What about going in the refrigerator access panel?
Bill

Extend-a-stay typically goes between the tank and regulator so if you want to add a bottle, it too is controlled by the onboard regulator. Plus my outdoor grill has it's own regulator so I wanted to come off the high pressure side. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• Extendstay.jpg
    Extendstay.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 126
It looks like you made a neat metal bracket to support the extra weight hanging out there. I think that is a very good idea.
I made mine by cutting a piece of 1 X 5 about 4 inches long so it was a slight press fit under the Extend a Stay. I put some silicon caulk/adhesive under it.
I like yours better but I had to work with what I had at the time.

Clay L said:
It looks like you made a neat metal bracket to support the extra weight hanging out there. I think that is a very good idea.
I made mine by cutting a piece of 1 X 5 about 4 inches long so it was a slight press fit under the Extend a Stay. I put some silicon caulk/adhesive under it.
I like yours better but I had to work with what I had at the time.

The manufacturer of the regulator was kind enough to leave a couple of blind holes on the back of it just the perfect size to run an 8/32 tap in, so I just threaded them and used a couple of machine screws through a piece of 1/8" aluminum flat stock I had laying around. I was really concerned about the leverage that the extra weight was putting on the fittings.

Nice photo Dennis. That would a good one for the library, along with some explanatory text.

Added the genuine article (Marshall Brass Extend-a-stay) here is the procedure I followed.

1: Turn off gas valve on tank

2: Remove male POL fitting from vlave's female POL fitting

3: Move regulator to the right temporarally

4: Screw male fitting on Extend-a-stay into valve

5: Screw original male fitting into female fitting on Extend-a-stay (moving regulator as needed)

6: I did some work to protect the regulator, this may or may not be needed.

7: Open gas valve and test for leaks (NONE FOUND).

That's the whole job.

NOTE: If, in the past, you have had a travel trailer with removable tanks, and you have removed them for re-fill, then you have done everything you need to do to install the Extend-a-stay..  The process is identical to taking a portable tank for refill.  (Save you do not move the tank).

Tom said:
Nice photo Dennis. That would a good one for the library, along with some explanatory text.

Works for me....Is that something I have the power to make happen or is it something you want to take care of? ;D

Water Dog: Copied your mod for the Extend-O-Stay today, aluminum L- bracket and everything. Tested it for leaks and then lit off the stove then furnace using an auxiliary tank. Looks great and works great -- well, doesn't look quite as good as yours. I've bought the kit for my old Class C but didn't install it because of concerns you have stated. It sure works great on my new Sightseer. Thanks for the picture of your install!

Larry

I have added one to the propane tank of my Motor Home to allow me to add a 100 lb tank to help me with the cold of winter in Missouri. It was very easy to add the T make sure you check for leaks when finished. The only thing is you need to find is a CAP for the end of the hose when it is not attached to a additional tank. Check at Lowes for this cap.

I put the Extend-a-stay on within days of buying the motor home.. I had an Extend-a-flow on the trailer I traded in...  Great device, no problems now 7 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom