I wish i had a shade tree - hot hot hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Wow my phone says its 104 here in east texas, the thermometer inside the RV says its 90, and the weatherman says the "feels like temp" is 111  WOW

i think the ground might catch fire  pretty soon..

Try to stay cool, and drink plenty of water.

It's 105 degrees at 3:00 p.m. in Las Vegas.  It should reach 108 later this afternoon.  I went out a while ago and when I got back in my car the car thermometer said it was 114.  We're expecting 111 by the end of next week.  It's just warming up!  8)  Yes, drink plenty of water.

ArdraF

I lived in Vegas for 4 years (no AC in my car). I remember driving home from work unable to really grab the stearing wheel other than with the tip of my fingers as it was so hot till i got home.  As i drove down the road the people waiting for the bus would line up standing in the shade of a telephone pole or light pole just to have some kind of shade.  Heck it will probably be 105 degrees there all night long as well.

At least it's a dry heat  8) 
Here in the Midwest, we get the upper 90s with 90% humidity, your dripping in minutes outside.

Cooling bandanas/scarves like these work quite well to help keep you cool.

Tom said:
Cooling bandanas/scarves like these work quite well to help keep you cool.

They work on the same principle as the water canteen we had when I joined the army back in the 60's. The canteen was made out of aluminum. The pouch to keep it in was canvas on the outside and a felt type of material on the inside. We would soak the canvas with water. The air blowing by the canvas would evaporate the water and at the same time would draw the heat out of the water. Worked pretty good.

A few months ago i got a couple of Buffs..  like in the image... they work pretty well, of course people tell me that i look rediculous but at least im cool and i can keep the sweat out of my eyes.  I dont think i would wear one to the mall, but in my yard you bet!! 

Maybe if i learned all the dif ways to fold them i might find a way that looks better than just hanging down my back.

Bass fishermen wear them all the time.

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
Probably not needed  in the mall, since they're typically air conditioned. But, if they weren't, I wouldn't care about vanity, and would wear a cooling bandana/scarf to prevent overheating.

Tom said:
Probably not needed  in the mall, since they're typically air conditioned. But, if they weren't, I would care about vanity, and would wear a cooling bandana/scarf to prevent overheating.

LOL however i did say "to" the mall  :)    but i agree its better to be comfy than vain.

I've got a shade tree for you free of charge. It's a nice hard maple about 25' feet tall.  All you have to do is come pick it up. We had a hard wind storm come through yesterday and blew it down.  You may have seen the news about the Duck boat getting swamped and sinking. Well, it was that wind that made my tree available.

Attachments

• Down tree.jpg
    Down tree.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 17
Molaker  wow that sure is a shallow rooted tree.  Either that or it just broke off right at the ground level, talk about pruning lol

Its very sad about that duck boat accident - they should have been off the water long before that hit. When in doubt stay on land.  But i always thought they required riders to wear lifevests, i guess not.   

They work on the same principle as the water canteen we had when I joined the army back in the 60's. The canteen was made out of aluminum. The pouch to keep it in was canvas on the outside and a felt type of material on the inside. We would soak the canvas with water. The air blowing by the canvas would evaporate the water and at the same time would draw the heat out of the water. Worked pretty good.

Rene, I remember my dad had one of those canvas-covered canteens during World War II.  I had no idea why the canvas was on it but what a clever use.  After he left the Army I used it (along with other stuff like his folding eating dish with utensils and bedroll) on Girl Scout camping trips.  Man that bedroll was heavy!  The WWII and Korean War GIs would be amazed at today's light weight bedrolls.

ArdraF

durangod said:
Molaker  wow that sure is a shallow rooted tree.  Either that or it just broke off right at the ground level, talk about pruning lol

Its very sad about that duck boat accident - they should have been off the water long before that hit. When in doubt stay on land.  But i always thought they required riders to wear lifevests, i guess not. 
The tree had been planted with a "root ball" by a local nursery (I'm guessing as it was here when we bought the place). In the hole it left I can see the heavy cord that was used to tie the bag over the root ball. But, it evident that the tree never developed a decent root system so it just broke of near ground level.

As for the "Ducks" accident, the storm the produced the high winds was not particularly threatening and 50 miles away when those duck boats would have begun their cruise. By the time the threat was called in, it was too late for the boats to reach shore before the winds hit. And the it was more like a wind shear that threatens aviation a lot. They struggled to reach shore and were properly heading into the wind, but just took on too much water and eventually just rolled over and sunk, trapping passengers under it.

Molaker said:
The tree had been planted with a "root ball" by a local nursery (I'm guessing as it was here when we bought the place). In the hole it left I can see the heavy cord that was used to tie the bag over the root ball. But, it evident that the tree never developed a decent root system so it just broke of near ground level.

That might be something to share are your local association meeting or with neighbors.  Im sure since many homes in that block were built by the same developer and probably same landscraper as well.  It would be logical that many of the same kind of trees on that block dont have root systems either.  Its too bad with so many wonderful professional landscapers out there that they had to get some duff that didnt do the job right.    They probably put someone on the job and didnt train them correctly and didnt check up on them either.

durangod said:
That might be something to share are your local association meeting or with neighbors.  Im sure since many homes in that block were built by the same developer and probably same landscraper as well.  It would be logical that many of the same kind of trees on that block dont have root systems either.  Its too bad with so many wonderful professional landscapers out there that they had to get some duff that didnt do the job right.    They probably put someone on the job and didnt train them correctly and didnt check up on them either.
Built the same time frame, but several years before this tree was planted. Most trees here are huge mature oak and maple. This one was pretty much a loner.

Looks like some others across the street from you.

By the way, i ask the owner of the RV park here if i could install an above ground pool and ill take care of the water.  My idea was to get a 2500 gal storage tank and then get a pool and have the water delivered to me 1x a month or when i need it.  The owner said NO.... lmao    can you imagine how popular i would be having my own pool under the canopy i made.  I would be the envy of everyone lol.    :)  and cool to boot...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom