I wish they had these tire for motorhomes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pressure on those tire ribs has to be on the order of 800-1200 lbs, so I think that frozen snow & ice would crack off as the wheel turns. But it's not going to be instantaneous and there must be extreme conditions where this could be an issue. At least for a half-mile or so.

I remember back in the day when nylon was introduced for the sidewalls on the bias-ply tires used back then. It was a great material for high mileage and puncture resistance, but the semi-flat bottom portion of the tire would get stiff as a board when it sat for several hours in winter temperatures. It rode like a flat tire (which it literally was) until the tire warmed up from the flexing.
Ya, but it was only flat on one side_. Bias ply tires are still recommended for trailers, but radial is cheaper to make, so guess which wins at trailer mfgrs.

The first test cars to get Michelin airless tires is a fleet of Chevy Bolt EV cars. Michelin Re-Introduces Puncture Proof Airless Tire

Last edited:
If they became available for the RV industry, I'm guessing you would see them on trucks and semis first.

As with any new technology, I would think the price of them would be out of the ballpark for most, if not all of us.

Pretty cool looking though.

Tread is replaceable on the Michelin design.
The tough thing about these airless tires is, what's guys gonna argue about when discussing ride quality; Load/inflation chart air pressure or mfgrs. recommendation?
And whaddya' gonna' do when you're just a skuuuunch too high for the low bridge? Not like you can airdown.

I remember back in the day when nylon was introduced for the sidewalls on the bias-ply tires used back then. It was a great material for high mileage and puncture resistance, but the semi-flat bottom portion of the tire would get stiff as a board when it sat for several hours in winter temperatures. It rode like a flat tire (which it literally was) until the tire warmed up from the flexing.
This still happens with modern radials when you get down to around -30F and it sits overnight.

Back
Top Bottom