I70 Road Closures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
For anyone planning on travelling to the Moab or Denver areas via the I70 please see this link as the road has been washed out.

Roadworks on US50 were using this road as a diversion so please carefully research your route.

Thanks for posting that link, Jackie. I lost track of the other thread discussing this and other road closures, but it's not JUST I-70 having problems, though it's the worst at the moment. There are roads all over Colorado having mud/rock slides, especially near the burn scars from last years massive fires, and some of them remain slippery with mud even after reopening, so be sure and check Colorado road conditions before traveling here, at:

I should add, for those not familiar with that area, that that section of I-70 runs alongside a fast moving river (partially blocked now) and has eastbound lanes just above river level with the westbound lanes being on "stilts" mostly above the eastbound lanes.

So even once they get the road completely cleared (some places over 10 feet deep with rocks and mud), they'll have to check the integrity of the road and road supports -- damage is currently unknown -- and get whatever repairs are needed finished before reopening the road.

Thus detours are several extra hours, at best, in areas not geared up for the amount of traffic this causes. There just aren't many alternate routes possible within Colorado -- I-80 through Wyoming is (at least at present) a much better way to go, if you can.

Last edited:
Planning on traveling from eastern Cali to Colorado for Thanksgiving. Was hoping to avoid Wolf Creek pass, so it looks like 64 across northern New Mexico is my best bet. Of course, if the snow flies early, I may be eating turkey in Quartzsite instead.

Construction has paused on US 50 to allow unrestricted two way traffic while I-70 is closed since US 50 is the most direct detour around the I-70 closure.

U.S. Highway 50 open until further notice

However, Red Mountain Pass on the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) between Ouray and Silverton will close for 4 hours at a time beginning August 16 to rebuild the wildfire damaged backup power line into Ouray County. This work may also affect some 4WD trails in the area.

The Red Mountain Electrical Reliability and Broadband Improvement Project | San Miguel Power Association

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom