I'd like to talk about the licence laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You’re saying your UK license does not give you the same rights as my Delaware license? With my Class D license I can tow or drive whatever I want as long as it is not for commercial use. I see folks quite often with the tractor part of tractor trailer (lorry) used as tow vehicles for their 5th wheels. Stenciled on the cab is “FOR PRIVATE USE” or “NOT FOR HIRE”. To my knowledge these folks do not need a CDL if their drivers license comes from a state like Delaware.

Because everything is registered in Montana, the reciprocal rule applies in Nevada. If I registered in Nevada, I might have an issue. We have hired A class Rv's in Canada that weigh much more than 7500kg with no issues regarding uk licence.

Our open range is the 2019 model with a GC Weight of 14365 lb.

Our trailer is not at gross weight so we are not at 10,000lbs. Being able to tow 7500kg is equal to 16,500lbs so even if we were at maximum weight we are ok.

We have registered in Nevada for 4 years and provided our UK licences in person with no issue.

The info you are providing is for residents of the State I believe, which we are not.

DMVNV has this in the FAQ:

Can I drive in Nevada with a driver license or instruction permit from another state or country?

Yes, Nevada honors licenses and permits issued by the appropriate government agency in another state or country. Drivers under 18 must obey the restrictions listed under Nevada Teen Driving.
An International Driver License (IDL) is not required for foreign visitors. An IDL must be accompanied by a government-issued driver license. An IDL is only a translation of a license. It is not valid by itself.

Link above has a section at the bottom to let you chat to someone, why don't you do that as I think they will be much better than we are at answering your specific question?

Because everything is registered in Montana, the reciprocal rule applies in Nevada. If I registered in Nevada, I might have an issue. We have hired A class Rv's in Canada that weigh much more than 7500kg with no issues regarding uk licence.
That's the answer i was looking for.. if it matters where the vehicles are registered therefore not where your licence is registered as would be the case for residents of the USA. Residents of the USA must adhere to their home state rules i get that because the licence is from that state.. i get it.. but as far as registered the vehicles this was the crux point. THANK YOU ALL.

1/ How are so many Brits able to tow over the 10,000lbs limit in those states that require special licences or endorsements?
Tim, are you forgetting about reciprocity? I live in Colorado where I don't need more than a basic license to drive a 50,000 lb RV, and I'm legal to drive it in ANY state with my Colorado drivers license. If I resided in Texas, or certain others, then I would need that extra license regardless of which state I'm in, even Colorado.

I don't know specifically what the UK license allows here, but whatever it allows should apply in ALL states, as far as what you are licensed to drive. The situations you list above are drivers license issues such that your residence limitations apply, unlike a 20,000 lb (or 9 ton or whatever) weight limit on a bridge, or a two or three unit allowed tow, neither of which are affected by your drivers license.

So look again at Isaac's post ( #10 ).

Tony are you saying that where vehicle is registered influences what you can drive or did you get a Montana drivers license?

I live in Louisiana and have a standard basic drivers license, which legally allows me to drive any privately owned and operated vehicle regardless of the weight, this is accepted in other states with no restrictions,
As was stated before, every US state accepts the legal licensing of all other states. There is nothing illegal about driving into another state where rules are different as long as the license held is legal for it current use when in the state of issue. It is that simple.

The info I got regarding my uk licence was through .Gov website input your licence number and NI number and they tell you what you can drive.
Still this has zero bearing on the topic. I'd like to talk about licence laws USA.

1/ How are so many Brits able to tow over the 10,000lbs limit in those states that require special licences or endorsements?
Because in the USA each state determines WHAT ITS RESIDENTS NEEDS TO DO AS FAR AS DRIVERS LICENSES this means 50 sets of rules for the USA but if in your home state you are licensed to drive or tow it then you can drive or tow in all states. However what is allowed to be towed in the state (Triples) etc is governed by the particular state law

Tony are you saying that where vehicle is registered influences what you can drive or did you get a Montana drivers license?
Sorry Jackie, you're correct, it was late when I answered. We do not have a Montana license. As far as I am aware, the US will look at your uk classification and apply it to their laws. When we spoke to our US insurers, there was no issues regarding weight.

That's the answer i was looking for.. if it matters where the vehicles are registered therefore not where your licence is registered as would be the case for residents of the USA. Residents of the USA must adhere to their home state rules i get that because the licence is from that state.. i get it.. but as far as registered the vehicles this was the crux point. THANK YOU ALL.
I do not think this assumption is correct Tim.

I do not think this assumption is correct Tim.
I suspect your right Jackie.

Here is what i am understanding from everything i have read on here, on DMV sites and on actual state legislature.
1/ All states require you to have a Commercial Drivers Licence (CDL) in various class' for vehicles over 26,000lbs GVWR/GCRW and/or if you are towing over 10,000lbs GVWR

2/ GVWR means Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. These weight ratings are determined by federal standards established by the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986. PLEASE NOTE: even if your actual weight is under the limit but the rating is over the greater of the two (actual weight or GVWR) would be used. All vehicle manufacturers RV or otherwise are required to display GVWR information on the vehicle.

3/ These 33 states you DO NOT need to have a "special licence" (CDL, endorsement or non-CDL) It has been waived for a recreational vehicle of private use (non commercial) when the weights are over 26,000lbs GVWR/GCWR and/or if you are towing over 10,000lbs GVWR:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia & West Virginia
some state legislation refers to H.R.3419 — 106th Congress (1999-2000) the right to waive in this case, Yet i cannot find any reference within the federal bill referring to recreation vehicles

4/ Each state and also Canada has reciprocity agreements (also known as unrestricted licences) with all of the other states to honor the home states licence. So if your home state (i.e. where your licence is from) if your home state is in the list above (3) you can drive ANY WEIGHT in any state and in Canada as long as it is a recreational vehicle for your own pleasure and NOT for commercial gain. With a normal drivers licence.

5/ States that DO require you to have a "Special Licence" or CDL are listed in the table below with their requirements:
StateCDL Required?Special License Required?
ArkansasYes, CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lbNo
CaliforniaYes, if over 40′ motorhome or towing 10,000lb+ travel trailer or 15,000lb+ 5th wheelNo
ConnecticutYes, CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lbNo
IllinoisNoYes, Non-CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb or towing over 10,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class C) a single vehicle over 16,000 lb but under 26,000lb towing under 10,000 lb
KansasYes, CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lbNo
MarylandNoYes, Non-CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
NevadaYes, CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lbAn Endorsement J is needed on any license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 GVWR.
New MexicoNoYes, a Class E (CDL exempt) License is needed for vehicles that are registered and used as RVs.
New YorkNoYes, Non-CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb requires an “R” recreational vehicle endorsement.
North CarolinaNoYes, Non-CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
PennsylvaniaNoYes, Non-CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
South CarolinaYes, CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lbNo
TexasNoYes,Non-CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Non-CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
Washington D.C.Yes, CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lbNo
WisconsinYes, CDL required over 45 feetNo
WyomingNoYes, Z endorsement authorizes the holder of a class C license to operate a recreational vehicle or combination of vehicles which have a GVWR 39,001lbs or more
Hawaii not included
I cannot confirm Illinois as i cannot access Illinois DMV USA only residents

6/ Trains or double/triple towing is regulated by each state. Each state has its own laws and i feel it is another topic.

7/ Some states do reference "where the recreational vehicle is registered" but this is vague at best and does not clearly outline if the vehicle registry location has an impact on licence requirements.

8/ There is only "an agreement" (i cannot find the any form of this agreement only references to it.) that a UK drivers licence are good for 12 continual months at a time after the 12 months they would like you to get a USA licence. The agreement gives you the right to hire, drive and use a vehicle under your home countries licence there is no reciprocity agreement between USA and UK. Meaning your UK class 1 HGV means nothing in the USA or any UK class of licence. the agreement gives you the same rights as a basic USA drivers licence (quite good in some states as there are no limits on RV's in some states.) There are reciprocity agreements for other countries to exchange licence for equivalent types but this does not include the UK.:
9/ Gaining a USA drivers licence or at least reading stories of a foreigners gaining a driving licence remains a massive mystery to me. Most states require a SSN. Then if you manage to convince the DMV you don't need a SSN or go to a state where they allow licences for foreigners. If then you gain the licence the state is supposed make it temporary to match with the length of your stay i.e. the record on your I-94 arrival/departure record. Be aware this would not be a CDL type licence. You must have held your normal USA licence for 1 year before you can apply for any type of CDL or Non-CDL.

Last edited:

See the section about driving on that site...

"Will my British driver’s license be adequate for renting a car?"

Thats one of many sites that quotes the "agreement" no mention of reciprocity if you search "usa driving licence reciprocity agreements" you find who they have them with. Corroborated from not just one source. Also if you search "usa uk driving licence reciprocity agreements" there are a few forums, not many articles, that say there is no agreements. As far as i can tell from the research i've done and you should be able to tell by now its pretty extensive.. there isnt one. just this vague agreement (like i say i cant find this agreement wording)

Thats one of many sites that quotes the "agreement" no mention of reciprocity if you search "usa driving licence reciprocity agreements" you find who they have them with. Corroborated from not just one source. Also if you search "usa uk driving licence reciprocity agreements" there are a few forums, not many articles, that say there is no agreements. As far as i can tell from the research i've done and you should be able to tell by now its pretty extensive.. there isnt one. just this vague agreement (like i say i cant find this agreement wording)
Well that site is the US and UK embassy so I'd expect them to know...

You can email the US Embassy with questions I believe. I think they are good at responding.

I still suspect your UK licence will determine what you can do.

Back
Top Bottom