Idle speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cascabel3

Hey Friends,

on a 5.9 turbo Cummins

Mine idles at ~680 RPM.  Should it be higher?  How could I raise the idle if I had to? 

Reason for asking is that sometimes when I press from neutral to either reverse or drive, she stalls.  Once I move three feet she is fine ands doesn't do it again. 

Cascabel3 said:
Hey Friends,

on a 5.9 turbo Cummins

Mine idles at ~680 RPM.  Should it be higher?  How could I raise the idle if I had to? 

Reason for asking is that sometimes when I press from neutral to either reverse or drive, she stalls.  Once I move three feet she is fine ands doesn't do it again. 

Not sure if it works the same on the 5.9 but on other engines if you turn on the cruise control and push and hold the set speed control, the idle will temporarily move up to 1,000 RPMs.

Bernie,

thanks.  Now I wished I had a working cruise control.  These were the things I discovered on my recent run, eratic speedometer and cruise failing to engage.  By the way, I am currently stationed in Castaic off Parker road.  Noticed you are in Valencia.

Re: Cruse and Speedometer... Those may be related, IN SOME (Stress SOME) vehicles they use the same sensor, it has to work well for either one to work properly

As to idel speed... BBECC (Back Before Emmisions/Engine Control Computers) The more or less"Standard" idel speed spec was 720 for gas engines (don't know about disels)  I would not be surprised to see it lowered with a good control computer as an emmisions reducing and gas/fuel saving measure.  I'd not be surprised at all to see 680 be the spec for that horse

Question... If you let it idle, does it idle,or stall, and when you put your foot down,  Does it pick up smoothly and promptly  or does it do any of the following:

Hesitate, "Buck", Stall, falter?

If it picks up smoothly nad promptly.... Then the idle speed is clearly fast enough...The question becomes is it slow enough

And again, I think so... Note.. The difference between 720 and 680 may be tach error

thanks John,

she starts like a charm, cold, first crank, always, she can sit and idle for hours.  It's just (sometimes, not always) that I put her in gear that she dies.  If I get on the accelerator pedal quick enough she'll go and no stalling thereafter.  Judging by the plume of black smoke that comes out after a stall/start up I almost feel it may be a flooding issue.

Cascabel3 said:
Bernie,

thanks.  Now I wished I had a working cruise control.  These were the things I discovered on my recent run, eratic speedometer and cruise failing to engage.  By the way, I am currently stationed in Castaic off Parker road.  Noticed you are in Valencia.

We're at the Valencia Travel Village in Castaic, on 126 just west of I-5. Will hopefully be here no longer than Friday.

I am up two more exits North, Parker road.  You are ina nice park.  If you are still there on Friday evening, email me.  I'd stop in say hello. 

Back
Top Bottom