If you use a "protect A Tow"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utclmjmpr

I have been using a protect a tow for the last three trips and have been very happy with the performance. This last trip thru Colorado (May 15th - 22nd.) over Monarch pass (11300 Ft.),,La Veta pass (9400 Ft.) and between Durango and Cortez (8000),We had heavy snow at all three area's.. We stopped west of Cortez for a short break and found the mesh of the Protect A Tow was totally shredded..  The last night out we stayed in Page AZ. and I called the PAT company about the problem.. Seems in 17 years of producing this device, this was reported to them  two other times, and each time heavy snow was the problem,, it seems when the snow is wet and heavy it builds up on the mesh until it drags the road and shreds large holes in it..
I thought I would pass this on to owners, and include the offer by the Company of a replacement mesh in exchange for $75.00 shipping included..>>>Dan

NY_Dutch

I've only seen the problem once with our PAT. Fortunately, I spotted the snow buildup problem with our low angle rear camera before it actually dragged and took remedial action.

UTTransplant

Good to know Dan. Do you like the PAT? Is it effective at keeping rocks away from the toad? We really haven?t had a problem yet, but it could happen in the future, and that one looks like a good choice.

Utclmjmpr

It's very efficient at keeping the towed clean (white shows grime quickly) and can be stowed by disconnecting from the towed and rolled up against the M/H with a bungee. I had to reinvent the spreader bar ends (plastic) by making them from steel,,otherwise I like it.>>>Dan ( It has worked better than two other upright "shields" I've had)  ( I was really glad I had it when traveling across northern Az. this trip,,,,40 miles of fresh chip seal on the road.>>>

Top Bottom