Ignoring the rules?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

Does it bother anyone else when campgrounds fail to enforce the rules that they publish either online on their web/reservations page or on their hand out material (map, brochure, etc?). 

I ask because my wife and I took a spur of the moment weekend trip to a state park a hundred or so miles from home a couple of weeks ago, I was driving the coach, and my wife was meeting me there in her car.  The online reservation and campground information page, included statements about 1 vehicle per site maximum, the online reservation had a drop down asking how many vehicles, with 1 being the only valid choice, etc.  We were concerned about showing up separately in two vehicles, called ahead and were told it was ok, we had picked a site large enough to park both the coach and her car, ....

Anyway while walking around the campground on Saturday, I noticed out of nearly 100 rv sites it seemed almost every site had multiple vehicles, most were a trailer or 5th wheel and 2 pickup trucks, at least one site had 3.  Why have all this limitation 1 vehicle per site stuff, if you are going to completely ignore the rule?  I could understand it if they granted the occasional exception, but in this case just doing a casual survey I would estimate over 75% of the sites had multiple vehicles, many of which were overflowing onto the camping loop road, this does not count those that also brought golf carts, UTV's etc in their toy haulers.

It has been my experience in campgrounds from coast to coast that the majority will hand you an excessive rule sheet upon check in, and sometimes asking you to initial by each section signifying that you have read and understood each one.  From that point it drops off, and many of the rules like loud parties, quiet time, barking dogs, picking up after a pet among many others are never enforced. 

They hope that the paper will force compliance, but rarely does anyone want to be the "enforcer" of the rules. 

Unfortunately, a lot of rules get completely overlooked my the staff. In my experience, it seems like state parks can be the worst offenders. I think a lot of that is appeasing the local weekend crowd. The staff knows their bread and butter comes from the locals coming in after a hard weeks work, and that they just want to cut loose and have a good time, so things get a blind eye.

Rules that I see broken in our Rv park
1. Amount of vehicles at a site
2 Loud music
3. dogs on a 6 foot leash
4 length of RV over the length allowed
5. Dogs left alone in a RV and continuous bark
6 People not using the dog walk place
7 Breaking the speed limit
8 Amount of people at a site
9 Dogs on the beach
10 Dogs over 40 pounds

My experience is that rules are not enforced unless someone complains. If there is a complaint, then the rules allow the staff to enforce them. However, few want to complain, as then THEY are seen as the bad guy.

I was nicely surprised at one of my Indiana state parks when DNR came by to ask the camper a couple spots away to turn down his radio.  All went well and all ended nicely!

Do they really want to exclude my sweet, lovable, 80 lb Walker Hound? And, my strange mutt never barks. 

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_hillbilly_mugging_on_couch.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_hillbilly_mugging_on_couch.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 52
One of my biggest peeves is the noise of some early riser's.  I like to stay up till 11 pm, quiet, around the campfire, and sleep in to 8am.  Nothing frustrates me as much as hammering, loud talking, yipping dog,  at 6:30 am because someone is breaking camp for their day's journey.  It's not like you can complain, they'll be gone. I can fall asleep with some light noise late in the evening, I'm tired.  But after a decent amount of rest, I can't fall back to sleep easily after awoken.

Edited to remove extra paragraphs

We are still set up at Horse Trails Boondock site. And the only "Complaint" I have is the people that run generators all day and night. But I guess it goes with the territory. Over all most of the people that are camping have been very considerate of each other.

Now the people that come out here for the day to ride their horses are a different story. They just park anywhere with out much consideration for other people.

SargeW said:
It has been my experience in campgrounds from coast to coast that the majority will hand you an excessive rule sheet upon check in, and sometimes asking you to initial by each section signifying that you have read and understood each one.  From that point it drops off, and many of the rules like loud parties, quiet time, barking dogs, picking up after a pet among many others are never enforced. 

They hope that the paper will force compliance, but rarely does anyone want to be the "enforcer" of the rules.

The plan is far more simple than most might suspect.
They have that list, and if they feel the need to evict someone, they now have the documentation to cover most possible causes
They just choose to ignore all of those rules until someone becomes REALLY annoying.

So far, my biggest issue has been people waking up at 530am and blaring their radio across the entire grounds. My kids don't sleep well while camping due to all of the excitement, so we need them to sleep as late as possible.

The debate about saying something is always whether the offenders will retaliate while you are away. People can be very childish these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom