I'm a newbie. And i ripped the side of the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeney

I have a 2006 Winnebago Outlook 9000 miles and looked like new until Friday. I for caught with a pole in the rear driver's side wheel well. Chose to back up and take the hit away from the sewer and electrical compartments.

So the bottom trim between the wheels is gone. The water tank compartment door ripped off and some warped pieces.

I tested all the systems, wheels, water hoses and slides. No problems noted. Planned to drive from NY to warm weather after Thanksgiving.

Is it safe if I just cover the open areas with sheet metal? Do I need to take care of the bottom?

Any feedback appreciated.20211105_143430.jpg

Attachments

• 20211105_143427.jpg
    20211105_143427.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211105_164548.jpg
    20211105_164548.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 66
That is a serious OUCH!

IS it safe to cover it with sheet metal.. Provided its thick enough and you make sure the plumbing is shielded from road crud... I'd say yes.. but it might be better (And less expensive long term) to have it fixed properly

Ouch, a proper fix will likely run a fair chunk of the value of the coach, if you can fine one at an RV junk yard a replacement door will likely be about $500 (that is what Visone's in KY recently quoted someone needing to replace a similar size door on a similar vintage coach), then of course there is rebuilding the wall to mount the door on.

Thank you. I have all the pieces, door etc. I'm looking for a safe temporary fix until I can get the work done.

Reneey,

Keep this thread up and see if one of our members in the area can help.

I am in Missouri so no luck there. But maybe someone in the area has tools and a willingness to help.

Life will get better and I hope that you can laugh about this in the future.

Marc

I wish you well but if you get to the point you can laugh about this you need to teach seminars and I need to attend them. I am imagining the sick feeling you had when you surveyed the damage.

That being said, everyone is well so nothing of real value lost.

I wish you well but if you get to the point you can laugh about this you need to teach seminars and I need to attend them. I am imagining the sick feeling you had when you surveyed the damage.

That being said, everyone is well so nothing of real value lost.
Oh I laughed a lot. I pulled up my friend's driveway, opened my window and asked if he had duct tape.

Renney welcome to the RV Forum.

You don't have have to be a newbie to have an oops. We know this from experience.

When we first joined the RV Forum a wise member told us it's not if you're going to have an oops it's when you'll have an oops. We've accepted than an oops will eventually happen.

Last edited:
Really Teircel hit the nail on the head, things can be replaced, people can't.

A buddy told me Gorilla tape doesn't leave residue like regular duct tape. I haven't tested it yet. But they make some wide Black stuff that would cover a large area quickly. I know it does stick pretty good.

Lowes has pieces of thin sheet metal, I think most places like that do.

Drills and rivet guns are not expensive compared to a shops fees.

The big question is how many people were watching? Have you seen the movie RV where the family went to dump the tanks and all the campers were lined up sitting in camp chairs?

Well, I was in NY state and had pulled forward into a camp site that was just grassy--no pavement or gravel to mark my site. And this was when my rig was only a couple of years old. Anyway, somehow a huge tree jumped behind my rig when I was backing out to head to the dump station. This tree was at least 2' in diameter, but somehow it moved and got in my way. And I did it at the dinner hour when there were maybe 5-6 families watching. Bent my bike rack, but bike was not damaged. A few days later, a kind French Canadian used his jack between my bumper and bike rack to straighten it out.

I was smarter when I backed into a telephone pole in an empty parking lot and another time when I hit a pole marking the campsite number after dark. (Telephone pole was not damaged, but bike wheel was bent. And since the ground was muddy and soft in the campground, I was able to push the marker pole back into place.) No witnesses to either event!!

Last edited:
I haven't hit anything yet, I figure my turn is coming.

I did forget to close the valves after flushing the tanks on my first trip, I put the cap back on the dump tube.

We traveled to our next stop.

I was surprised when hooking the hose back up, I pulled the cap off, wife watching, as I tried to stop the flood I said, in a loud surprised voice, not kidding, "CRAP! Ugh, Literally CRAP!"

My sweet wife stood there very stoically, with a stone face. I decided then I would never play poker against her.

I did laugh about it later, after a couple of bleach showers.

I don't know but that would be about my guess. They are so backed up though, as are most body shops. I have some friends that work with metal, so going to try to make it sound so I can still get out of NY before December. I got a great deal on this 2006 with 8000 miles, but im really not sure how much to put into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom