I'm Trying To Understand Our Slide Motor Unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCSU Dad

The manufacture information sheet that I have for our RV lists "Lippert/ALCO/Norco" as slide mechanism manufactures. Since the controls are the Lippert OneTouch I'm assuming the slide motor is a Lippert product.

The slide motor is floor mounted located under the 13'-3" wide slide for the U-shaped dinette & sofa and there is no removable access panel to get a look at the motor mechanism. The motor operates 2 floor mount rail assemblies with a driveshaft from the motor drive side rail operating the follow side rail.

The first photo I've circled in yellow is the manual override shaft for the motor should the motor fail. A 5/8" wrench fits the end of the shaft.

Also in the first photo is a second shaft I've circle in red. I have been unable to figure what this one if for. It does not rotate like the other shaft when the motor is operating. This shaft will accept a 5/8" wrench on the shaft end. This shaft had a 1-5/16" nut on it that was not tightened down. Looks like this nut would serve as a lock nut. The second photo shows a self-tapping screw that prevents the nut from being tightened down. Of course I'll cut this screw off.

Any idea what this second shaft is?

With the slide in the motor falls under an empty compartment under the dinette. I'm thinking about cutting an access panel in the floor over the motor. Good or bad (waste of time) idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

• RV Slide Motor 1.jpg
    RV Slide Motor 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10
  • RV Slide Motor 2.jpg
    RV Slide Motor 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 10
With the slide in the motor falls under an empty compartment under the dinette. I'm thinking about cutting an access panel in the floor over the motor. Good or bad (waste of time) idea?
Why? Just in case you ever have to replace it in the future?

Lippert has a fairly extensive Support section online, and even some troubleshooting help. Maybe that would tell what the second shaft is for.

Why? Just in case you ever have to replace it in the future?

Lippert has a fairly extensive Support section online, and even some troubleshooting help. Maybe that would tell what the second shaft is for.
Gary when I posted this thread my thought on cutting the hole was to see who manufactured the slide motor & mechanism. Since that post I took a closer look and can see a rag, long screw, and debris at the motor mechanism. Now I see it vital to clean the trash left behind by Forrest River during manufacturing before the debris get into the slide works. Thumbs down to Forrest River on the trash left behind.

Recently I spoke to techs at Lippert who helped with the leveling system failure. Turned out the hydraulic system was low on fluid, once filled, I did not know how to reset that system. So I'm not shy about calling Lippert. I thought someone on this forum might know what function the second shaft serves. Once I know what it is I'll update this thread.

Lastly I'm the type of person who has no interest in knowing how systems work. I just want to turn the key and drive. It is clear to me I need to know how it all works at least with this RV. Who would've thought the leveling hydraulic tank would be installed in the most inaccessible location up high between the chassis frame rails. Not me.

Attachments

• RV Slide Motor 3.jpeg
    RV Slide Motor 3.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 10
THat second shaft is not part of the slide out motor/transmission assembly
It might be a roller support (there might be a roller or bearing on the other end of it) but I doubt it.
Not sure what it's for but it's not part of the very much overpriced motor/transmission assembly.

John From Detroit you're right. I've located a second threaded rod with locknut on the follow slide rail assembly. So these are for vertical adjustment of the drive and follow rails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom