Impact Wrench Torque Limiting Sockets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCSU Dad

I've never used one to torque lugs nuts - always used a torque wrench. Now that we own an RV that calls for 140 lbs. ft. on the lug nuts a torque limiting socket with 140 rating seems like a good addition to my Dewalt impact tool. The torque wrench I own max's out at 140.

Have you used one?

Are they accurate?

Thanks!

Torque sticks (socket extensions) are typically only accurate to within 5% to 15% of the desired tightness depending on the impact gun used. For the highest precision, torque sticks should only be used to get within about 70% of the final value, with a quality torque wrench used for the final tightening. That said, for most vehicle wheel mounting operations, appropriately sized torque sticks are generally "close enough" to get the job done since the condition of the studs, lug nuts, and wheels can vary the actual torque by more than the accuracy range of the stick anyway.

A "clicker type torque wrench is accurate to 5-7 % for a good one,, A quality dial type is accurate to 2% of settings..>>>Dan

I use a torque stick for my lug nuts, under the theory that the accuracy is good enough, and beats the typical tire shop which hammers them down and never thinks twice about it.

From my experience of using torque sticks in my automotive repair shop it all depends on the impact I use. I always use the stick a size or two lower then the torque I need and not allow the impact to hammer on the lug nut. I would not trust them to set the right torque on lug nuts. I will always use a torque wrench to finish tightening lug nuts. I sleep better at night knowing that I didn't leave them loose or to tight, which can be just as bad.

Thanks for the advice. I purchased a set thru Amazon, Prime $40.99, 369 reviews, 86% 5 star, 10% 4 star. I'll give them a try this weekend working my way up from a lower stick and checking with a torque wrench.

Attachments

• RV Torque Sticks.jpg
    RV Torque Sticks.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom