Importing a new 5er from Canada to the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


New member
Aug 7, 2018
Has anyone had any experience with importing a new trailer from Canada to the US?

We're looking at buying a new Grand Design Momentum 395m but can't find any with the options we want on dealer lots in the US. We were getting set to order one custom from factory, but I happened to find one in Canada that has all the options we're looking for and for a much better price than what we were quoted from a US dealership.

According to the CBP website:

  "The requirements for importing a trailer (recreational, camping and/or commercial) for personal use are:

    1.) You or the registered importer (RI)* will have to file an entry with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and submit the
Department of Transportation (DOT) Form HS-7.

    2.) CBP will then give you or the RI the entry summary document CBP Form 7501 Entry Summary, which is needed to register the trailer in the state.

    3.) The trailer must be imported by a * Registered Importer (RI) or by someone who has a contract with an RI, unless they have a U.S. certification label stating the trailer meets U.S. vehicle safety standards.

    If the trailer has a label stating it meets U.S. Vehicle Safety Standards, and is being imported for personal use, a CBP bond is usually not required. However, the CBP Officer has the authority to require a CBP bond, if the trailer does not meet U.S. standards or is intended for resale, a CBP bond must be obtained to cover the importation. You or the registered importer can obtain a CBP bond from a surety company. Please visit the Bureau of the Fiscal Service for a listing of Sureties.

    Trailers and their parts are provided for in Harmonized Tariff Schedule, Section XVII: Vehicles, Aircraft, Vessels and Associated Transport Equipment, Chapter 84, are duty free when imported from countries that have normal trade relations with the United States.

    For assistance with duties, please contact your local Port of Entry and speak with a CBP Officer."

Sounds simple enough in theory, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the process and whether it was a painful/costly/time consuming one in reality.


Triple Slide Jayco

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2017
I'd ask the place you are buying it from if they have any insight. I have relatives that used to purchase building materials back in the late 90's from Canada, because of the exchange rate and bring the stuff across the border. It was a big savings. I would also talk to an officer at the border you are crossing and use him as the contact all through the process when bringing it over. Also be aware of the title and resale on this Canadian model whenever you go to sell it one day in the US.


Well-known member
Jan 8, 2015
calgary alberta
you dont have to do anything but declare it at the border and pay your taxes, because there is no motor your fine - just call the state border office where your bringing it across
Top Bottom