Importing an RV into the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
If you plan to come to the USA, buy an RV and take it home to the UK, we have some information in our forum library written by someone who has done what you're planning to do. Click the Library button in the toolbar above, then click Visitors to the USA and select Importing an RV into the UK.

Hi, I have read and re-read all the posts about importing an RV into the UK from the USA and found them to be really helpful...BUT, having just been on the phone to Customs and Excise in the UK, they ahve told us that we Need an agent because the forms are too complicated to fill in ourselfs and we will have to pay for a warehouse as it will take 2-3 weeks to clear it!!! I ahven't read anything like this in past posts and wondered whether you could advise me please. We thought we had it all sored and are due to be going home in about 3 weeks and now we feel that we are back at square one!! Any help appreciated please, Thanks Val and Steve

Val and Steve,

Hopefully Paul or one of the other folks who have done this will be along shortly to answer your question.

Hi Both

The guys you spoke to at C&E are talking complete rubbish !!

You can do the paperwork yourself - BUT, for ?100 or less I would suggest you do use a Shipping Agent in the UK.

The agent can submit the forms (by electronic means) BEFORE the ship docks, which will save several days wait. They are familiar with what is and isnt needed. They will keep you advised of whats happening and you have a dedicated person acting on your behalf rather than speaking with a different pen-pusher on each call. But, you can do it yourself.

I think C&E may have confused your RV shipment with a container shipment (ie full of hundreds/thousands of items which need clearance, duty checks and even air checks for illegal immigrants etc).

Your RV will be driven off the ship and may be stored in the transport yard for a day or two whilst paperwork is finalised. In fact, you will be charged storage if you dont collect it within a couple of days of being notified its ready.

Email Kathy at k.woollett {at} wainwrightgroup.com and she will go thru it all for you.

Hope it helps
Paul

EDIT Import details from HMRC (inc links to Forms) can be found HERE

Hi all, I am importing an Rv to the UK from Florida, I am wondering if someone could help me with details on how to get my Propane tanks an EPA certificate for shipping
I'm realy having a problem finding out how to get this done.

Hi

Try Bernarr at RV Exports.

He will charge you $100-$150.

The job consists of draining your propane into the open air, with a running hose over the propane as it escapes. This is supposed to stop your RV exploding  :eek: :eek:. You will then get a little white sticker (from one of those sheets of printer labels) placed on your Propane tank (by fill up point) which merely states "RV Exports - Certified Empty - Dated XX/XX/XX".

The shipping clerk at the docks will ask you to confirm it is empty and take a passing glance at the sticker.

Sadly, this is not exactly a safe way of doing things, but (as you have found) it seems to be the only option available.

Paul

My wife and I have a 2001 Itasca Horizon 36 CD, which is a diesel pusher.  We are giving thought to checking on shipping our RV over to Endland from either Jacksonville, Fl, Tampa, Fl, or New Orleans, LA to lEngland.  When it arrived we would fly over and tour England, Wells, Ireland, Scotland and take about a month in doing so.
I have driven up to and through Canada and every state in the USA except N. Dakota so we have experience.
Just wondering whom you contact to get a RV shipped and where would we ship it?
We are wanting to do this as a show of faith to the English over leaving the EU.
Will my 36 foot 8.5 foot wide diesel pusher be okay on the roads there?
Will there be ample campgrounds to handle us.  As long as they have a water fill and a Dump ane elec. we are okay.  I do not know if they do boondocking over there but we do and only visit a campground every 4 days.
Anyone who has done this please post as much information for us to do this at the least cost.
Help
After that we would want to ship it back.

I suspect that the cost of all this is going to be prohibitive. The size of vehicle will be ok, providing you research your route. Camp grounds for that size vehicle will be limited, but here is a list to help. www.rvhere.co.uk
Boondocking is very much frowned upon, by the authorities, but possible. It's just a case of finding somewhere. Pub stops etc are helpful, here is another list www.britstops.com

Personally, I would fly over and rent a Euro type motorhome, but if I can help with more specific questions then please ask.

The Visitors to the USA section of our forum Library (button above) has several articles on shipping RVs to the UK. You may find a few helpful suggestions there.

A couple of useful links from SuperMike.

Hi, here is a link to a site where you can get a quotation

http://shippingfromusa.us/services/rv-shipping/ship-rvs-overseas/?gclid=CjwKEAjwqpK8BRD7ua-U0orrgkESJADlN3YBsQHb8ezK2Aff-Wfv2pGJOEZD6eU1SmI3gb9sAfKx_BoChKfw_wcB

Be aware that you will have to modify your RV to use any shore power in England as the standard over there is 240V, whereas over here, we use 120V. You will have to remove that mod once you return to America. You might get away using the generator but....

Stu is correct, but it's usually handled with a transformer. See this article in our forum library. Also, U.S. televisions won't work there, with or without the voltage conversion.

Alfa38User said:
Be aware that you will have to modify your RV to use any shore power in England as the standard over there is 240V, whereas over here, we use 120V. You will have to remove that mod once you return to America. You might get away using the generator but....

Very good point. As we are in the UK we aked about conversion costs if we bring our trailer back here and we're quoted ?2000 or $2637 to do this.

Also the doors and sewage are probably on the wrong side, but I can't confirm as we haven't rv'd here.

Tom said:
Stu is correct, but it's usually handled with a transformer. See this article in our forum library. Also, U.S. televisions won't work there, with or without the voltage conversion.

Tom, the airline transformers link takes you to their site but not to the products  -  think link broken.

Aye Jackie, they changed the link, but a couple of clicks found it here.

jackiemac said:
Also the doors and sewage are probably on the wrong side, but I can't confirm as we haven't rv'd here.

Nope, because you will be lucky to find a fully serviced pitch. They do exist but are rare. Normally we just tote it to the drain, or upon arrival or leaving drive to the drain.

SuperMike said:
Nope, because you will be lucky to find a fully serviced pitch. They do exist but are rare. Normally we just tote it to the drain, or upon arrival or leaving drive to the drain.

Hey Mike, good to see you still contributing.  So when you say serviced you mean no water or power either?  How does that work? Thanks

jackiemac said:
Hey Mike, good to see you still contributing.  So when you say serviced you mean no water or power either?  How does that work? Thanks

Thank you, that is very kind. Almost all pitches will have 240v electrical connection, with various capacities up to 16A. A water supply is sometimes on the pitch, I carry a very long hose (100m), for when it is not. To get a waste drain , although not impossible, is rare and mainly when it is available is often only for grey water. Black still has to be toted away. When making a booking and that is necessary, with our size vehicle, it is best to enquire from the campsite what their meaning of a serviced pitch is, because to some it is just a tap.  : 8)

Jings!!  I would have thought the UK had stuff set up as well as the US, but then again, what am I thinking!  LOL.

Back
Top Bottom