In-line circuit breaker from coach batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dankrall

My new coach batteries will not come on line.  Everything works on shore power.  Generator starts fine but bogs down on a/c which means something is using up amperage.  I am looking for a in-line breaker from the coach batteries that I have heard about but can't find.  Was also told that some code says it has to be within 18" of the batteries.  Any ideas where it could be?
2013 Thor Fourwinds 31A Class C

You have two almost separate electrical systems.  12 volt and `120 volt. Some devices (Fridge, Water heater and A/C's use both but the Battery system is only used for CONTROL power (very low amprage) the main draw , ,,, for all 3... is the 110 volt side of life.

The generator is a 120 volt device. your problem is not with the battery system.

Do your lights work when you do not have 120 volts.. When the generator is off and you are not plugged in?  IF so the battery system is working just fine.. No problems.

But thing that is drawing all the power is the compressor on the A/C. it can draw upwards of 1,000 watts easily.

One clue is "new batteries". Are they hooked up correctly? If so, by chance were they hooked up incorrectly, even for an instant? If they are hooked up wrong, that needs to be corrected first. If they were hooked up incorrectly, you probably blew the reverse connection fuses on or near your converter. The generator is probably powered from the chassis battery, enabling it to operate.

One clue is the battery disconnect switch next to the door.  When the shore power or generator are on the green LED is on.  When everything is off, the green LED is off and when I press it to connect the coach batteries nothing happens.  The main control panel does not light up and the fridge on automatic goes out with no indication that it switched to propane.  I initially thought the battery disconnect solenoid was bad so I switched it out with a new one but same problem.

Also the generator never had an issue starting the a/c but now it bogs down and shuts off.

Welcome to the Forum!

Normally, the battery disconnect is intended to disconnect the battery to prevent unwanted drain when the coach is in storage.  The green LED indicates 120V power.  If the switch is off, the 120V and converter continue to power the 12V needs.  It will NOT charge the battery.  If the switch is on, the converter WILL charge the battery and the converter and battery work together to supply 12 V needs.

If there is no 120V power, the green LED is off.  If the battery disconnect is ON, then the battery will supply 12 V needs including lights and fridge control panel power.  If the battery disconnect is off, there is no battery power to lights or refrigerator.

With this in mind, do your lights in the coach work without shore power?  This tells us if the batteries are supplying power to the coach.  This will help us to better troubleshoot your issue.

As a separate discussion, the genny may not be able to handle A/C and HW heater and Fridge all at once, thus bogging down.  This is a 120 V issue unrelated to batteries.

I appreciate the help and am pretty familiar with how the electronics work to include the battery disconnect.  That is why I made the statement that it will not allow my batteries to connect when all power is removed.  And when all power is removed and I can't connect my coach batteries there is no power.  If that helps.  And I am aware of amp draw on generator and there was nothing out of the ordinary that would have prevented A/C from starting unless there is a amp draw that I am not aware of like a bad converter battery charger on full but not doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom