Independent Front Suspension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe Bee

Tiffin has just introduced a 42Ft 350 Hp Diesel without IFS.  Has anyone seen this new Phaeton and add comments about the drive or drivability.  They don't say who is supplying the chassis or how many air bags etc.  This is all new as of 2 weeks ago.  Has anyone heard about it.??  The Phaeton was positioned below the Allegro Bus and never before available in 42Ft.  I can't get my Lazy Day sales person on the telephone to quiz him about this.  My ordering plans are in limbo.
Joe & Susan

Joe Bee,

I have seen pictures and some information about the Tiffin Phaeton 42' Tag Axle.  The chassis is a Spartan Moutain Master GT with a 10,000 lb tag axle.  It has the Cummins 350 hp ISL engine with 1050 lb.-ft. torque.  I did see the specs on the chassis but I'm not sure where it was.  I remember that Spartan has custom built it especially for the Tiffin Phaeton.  If I find that link I will post it later.  I was under the impression that it does have IFS, but am not sure of that.  I saw pictures of the one that Tiffin built for the RVIA dealers show in Louisville, KY, but they say Tiffin is ready to take orders for the coach.  That's about all I know.

Dan

And here is a link describing the Hendrikson AirTek Suspension.
It's true it is not an IFS, at least not in the traditional sense. They call it an integrated front air bag suspension. Whether it acts to provide independent wheel control is for the suspension engineers to decide.

The rear version of the suspension (known as the HTB suspension) looks somewhat like a Roadmaster H frame with air bags in the corners, but the front does not.

Joe Bee said:
Tiffin has just introduced a 42Ft 350 Hp Diesel without IFS.  
Joe & Susan

Joe,

We have an Allegro Bus and love Tiffin products.  However, I would be concerned with a 42' motor coach with a 350 hp engine.  I would have thought Tiffin would have at least put a 400 hp in that big of a rig.  Also, you are right, Phaeton has always been the line under the Allegro Bus and priced lower.  We looked at the Phaeton when we were buying, but thought we got a lot more for our money by buying the Bus. 

Marsha~

Don:
I couldn't get to the site you highlighted.  Please expand. 
I also thought that the Phaeton was lower end.  The sales person who called me about the new 42 said " it's just a chip exchange to 400 hp.  I don't have any idea about that.
Can't find someone  in sales I trust about this unit.
Joe Bee

Gary and Dan are absolutely correct in their statements.  They had one of display here at the Gl;eandale RV Show at the Fottball Cardinals Stadium a few weeks ago and the salespeople said it was so new their didn't have literature on it.  Looked very Impressive and got no answers from them cause they didn't know.  Lot's and Lot's of lookers but everypone was in the same stage of shock  Why show it if you know nothing of it? They didn't even know the suspension themselves.

A Phaeton is indeed "lower" end than an Allegro Bus, but that certainly doesn't make it "low end". A Bus is pretty well up there, so being a bit lower on the price scale is certainly no shame.

Yes, the ISL engine comes in several horsepowers and the difference is basically in the tuning, as represented by the electronics package installed on the engine. And of course reflected in the price. 350 HP sounds light given the horsepower race that seems to have overtaken the motorhome industry lately, but a few years ago we would have been excited to be getting 350 HP in a similar sized rig. The 20 HP (vs the ISL 370) probably doesn't make much difference, but the 350 is rated for 1050 ft lbs of torque whereas the 370 and 400 are 1200 ft-lbs. Might see a bit of difference on a long grade [or at the drag strip], but for most people, performance is probably going to be adequate regardless. Performance is largely a matter of personal taste anyway.

I've learned that the radiator is rear mounted and won't support a new chip.  400 hp needs side mounted radiator.  IFS, Hydro Hot not available as well as some other goodies available on the Allegro Bus.  Yes it is on a Spantan Chassic.  It seems Tiff in is reacting to Monaco's lover entry prices for pushers. 
Nothing like a good mystery.  The saga continues.  My better half even got interested again. 
Not a bad thing!
Joe & Susan

Joe,

The site I had put the link for is http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/spartan2007_42phaeton.pdf.  After looking at it some more it does appear that it is not an IFS chassis.  Hope this helps. 

Dan

Back
Top Bottom