Indoor storage in Northeast USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kicking the tires

I am thinking of buying a new fifth wheel and I have to find storage. I would prefer indoor storage but it looks like it's pretty hard to find. Any insight from the pros on this?

Do what I did, just bite the bullet. 40 by 40. Two 12 by 12 doors.

Attachments

• IMG_9120.jpg
    IMG_9120.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9119.jpg
    IMG_9119.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 3
40 by 40. Two 12 by 12 doors.
That might not be tall enough. Many motorhomes (and, I presume, 5th wheels) are 12.5+ feet high (my MH is 12'8" high), so a minimum 14 foot high door would be my choice, with care for the approach angle(s) -- someone down the street had doors just barely high enough for his Itasca but the steep approach angle meant that he couldn't quite get it through the door, just by a few inches.

They sell 14 footers. Need 16' or maybe 18' sidewalls to accommodate them easily. 40' deep is probably a little shallow too. My ex has a nice 40 by 80 lol.

Welcome to the forum.

I think the height will make finding indoor private storage difficult.

I think you'll need to trawl local places and once you've got a space you'll probably need to pay for it continuously even when you're not using it.

Good Luck.

Thanks everyone, as I don't have the room to build I am stuck with finding space, and it looks like I have to travel about 89 miles to find a specialty place. Is indoor storage worth it?

A friend built a barn when he had a TT which was about 10'6" high. I recommended 16' sidewalls and 14' doors but the cost of the extra sidewall height did not sit well with him and he went with 12' sidewalls. He built his own swinging 12' doors. He upgraded to a 5th wheel and just squeezed it in with about 2" to spare. Upgraded to another 5th wheel that would not fit. He was determined, though, and found that if he removed the higher A/C unit, it would fit. A bit of a hassle but worth it to keep indoors through our upstate NY winters!

Just be aware, where we store our fifth wheel under cover has just hiked our monthly fee by 37% to $236 a month, yet still advertise the same space at $164.
Go figure!!

Is indoor storage worth it?
In general, I would say no since it typically costs more than it would save in depreciation and maintenance. If you add in the distance away that makes it even more questionable. If you have space to store at your home then I'd say that is by far the preferred way but if not you should probably try and find something closer. If you use it much at all, that distance would be a major issue. RVs are outside when in use and most are also stored that way. In all of the years we have owned RVs we only had our own inside storage for ours for the last one.

I think I found an indoor heated valet storage facility with inside and outside detailing, multiple amperage electric, gray and black water pump out, tire pressure monitoring, generator maintenance et.al.? ( Drop off dirty-pick up clean service for a fee)

The price point for a 24 hr concierge for security and for a one time cleaning is $17 a foot per mo with a year lease. This is within 1.25 hrs of Manhattan, and 1.75 hrs of Boston. Given the lack of indoor storage, would you sign up for that?

It’s within 20 min of my home, and I live in Connecticut which is expensive,

Thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:
Given the lack of indoor storage, would you sign up for that?
If you buy a 30' trailer that would be $510/month or $6,120 per year. I am pretty sure that the gray and black water pump out, tire pressure monitoring, generator maintenance will have additional cost so check that out before you sign up. I suppose that the answer would depend on the cost of the RV that you plan to buy and the size of your budget to maintain it.

Last edited:
I think I found an indoor heated valet storage facility with inside and outside detailing, multiple amperage electric, gray and black water pump out, tire pressure monitoring, generator maintenance et.al.? ( Drop off dirty-pick up clean service for a fee)

The price point for a 24 hr concierge for security and for a one time cleaning is $17 a foot per mo with a year lease. This is within 1.25 hrs of Manhattan, and 1.75 hrs of Boston. Given the lack of indoor storage, would you sign up for that?

It’s within 20 min of my home, and I live in Connecticut which is expensive,

Thoughts?
Thanks
Would I? No way, don't have that kind of surplus $$$
Look for an RV park that has storage, not climate controlled, but maybe covered.

I would think, for that price, you'd be better off parking the trailer at a seasonal campground on a site. It will be outside, but they are made to be outside. On a seasonal site, you'll have full hook-ups and if you do not anchor down, keep the camper "mobile", you can take it out for trips any time you want.

You might check into local RV parks. Think outside the box. Know any farmers that has a pole barn not in use?

I live in western PA, considered NE USA? We have a few abandoned limestone mines in the area. Two have been converted to RV/TT/boat and car storage. Prices are about $600 for October to April. The problem is you cannot enter once your unit is stored.

I live in western PA, considered NE USA? We have a few abandoned limestone mines in the area. Two have been converted to RV/TT/boat and car storage. Prices are about $600 for October to April. The problem is you cannot enter once your unit is stored.
There is a lot of indoor storage where access for the owner is limited or not-available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KFPINAK
Back
Top Bottom