Indoor vs. Outdoor storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDEN

Well, we just picked-up our "new" used RV yesterday.  Because where we live, we need to find a storage place for it.  I have couple of options and would really like some feedback from the "experts" out there.

Is it worth paying 2x the fee for indoor storage?

If I go with outdoor storage, should I go with hot dry area where it can easily go into the 90/100s in the summer (Escondido/San Marcos, CA) or cool moist area where it is very close to the ocean/salt (Solana Beach)?

What can I do to mitigate any possible damage?  e.g., tire covers, etc.?

Thanks again.
MDEN

I'd opt for indoor storage to avoid sun/heat damage.

My 93 Pace Arrow was 10 years old when I bought it and looked almost brand new. After two years of storing it outside in cold Indiana winters it has aged considerably.
I have a driveway long enough to store my motorhome on but if I had to store it somewhere else I would definitely look at inside storage.
The problem we have in this area is that the only inside storage available that you can move in and out of when you want to would be a storage building and one big enough to hold my 34 footer would be prohibitively expensive.

Woody

Thanks for the input.  Sounds like indoor storage is the way to go...but the cost difference is substantial.  What do you guys think about a RV cover?  Do they even make them?  I guess putting it on and off is a huge hassle, right?

Thanks again.

Camping World sells RV covers but, in addition to the hassle of putting it on, when the wind blows it's going ot be flapping against your RV. If the RV isn't sqeaky clean, the flapping is going to beat any dust or dirt into/against the surface.

RV covers are OK for some conditions, like snow..but they have to be secured and taped. ?If left to flap around in the wind, the fabric will scuff and wear down your paint or exterior gel coat finish.

They are sold in RV supply stores like Camping World. ?They are surprisingly easy to install if you follow the instructions because they have a front and back and you fold them in a certain way to make the job easier.

If you park indoors on concrete, be sure to place plywood under your tires so the rubber does not rest on the concrete. ?Prolonged contact with concrete will contribute to premature tire degradation.

If I go with outdoor storage, should I go with hot dry area where it can easily go into the 90/100s in the summer (Escondido/San Marcos, CA) or cool moist area where it is very close to the ocean/salt (Solana Beach)?

Go with the hot and dry as opposed to the cool and moist.? The USAF dead stores surplus aircraft in hot dry locations in southern Arizona which is a clue.? ?I am forced to store in cool moist WLA.? Every time the trailer comes out of storage it so dirty from city crud that is left behind by morning condensation and fogs, that it needs an immediate washing.

I have a trailer cover but find too much of pita to put on and take off.

Mden

>>Is it worth paying 2x the fee for indoor storage?<<

My coach is over 6 1/2 years old and has? spent most of that time in So. Cal & AZ and has never been under any cover...still looks almost brand new, of course I wash & wax it at least 4 times a year, sometimes more.<G>

Terry
At John Day Dam, OR

Good input on the wash and wax. 

That brings up another question/issue:  washing

1) can I walk on the roof of the RV to wash it?
2) any suggestion for "easy" (easier than regular car) wash and wax?
I just hand washed my RV at home and it was definitely a work out.  I haven't even tried to wax it yet.

Thanks again!

MDEN said:
That brings up another question/issue:? washing

1) can I walk on the roof of the RV to wash it?
2) any suggestion for "easy" (easier than regular car) wash and wax?
I just hand washed my RV at home and it was definitely a work out.? I haven't even tried to wax it yet.

1) Depends on the RV.  Read your owners manual or talk with the manufacturer.  I would be very hesitant to attempt it on a lightweight trailer.  One clue may be the presence or absense of a built-in ladder,  but even with one,  I would be cautious.

2) Hire a teenager for $25 or so.  However, if you like the workout, or your local teenagers are holding out for more, go to a boating store and buy their pole brushes and an extension pole.  If you cannot get on the roof, an 8-foot step ladder is a good investment.  It may even be easier to use the ladder than climbing on the roof.

Mden

>> any suggestion for "easy" (easier than regular car) wash and wax?<<

I've used just about everything & have finalized on Protect All, it is very easy to apply & remove but not long lasting, needs to be applies every 3-4 months.

Terry
At John Day Dam, Or

any suggestion for "easy" (easier than regular car) wash and wax?

We use Dri-Wash-N-Guard and only DWG.  I usually do the whole coach twice a year.  If we have traveled on wet messy roads I may have to do a quick job in between.  occasionally do  some wipe down or touch up on the lower part of the sides due to dirty roads.

Back
Top Bottom