Info on Good Sams plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Mud

Hi could anyone help me with info on which plan i need ? I have a class A Holiday Rambler and would like coverage for tire changes. (I have my own spare) And possible towing. The rest of the stuff i don't need. I usually overnight at Loves or other truck or rest stops. Most of my trips now will be about the travel not the destination. Just starting back with an RV after a 40 or so year layoff.

Thanks

Don

I believe all the major company plans state that you need to have a mounted spare, not just a spare tire. Probably can get a mounting service equipped truck to come out if you explain when you call in your need, but I assume there will be an extra charge. I researched because I plan on carrying a spare but don't want to have to buy another wheel due to price and weight.

Thanks Zipp and Struggle. Yes i have my tire mounted and can understand it would cost more and not everyone would show up equipped to change an unmounted one.

Looks like im going with the platinum one.

Thanks again.

Don.

I believe all the major company plans state that you need to have a mounted spare, not just a spare tire.
Perhaps that's true for vehicles with small tires, but for RVs with 22.5" wheels it's not practical to do so, and certainly Coach Net doesn't require any such thing (it's certainly a major plan), so be careful with all-inclusive statements.

They will change a tire, mounted or not. Or even bring a new tire if needed. That's not an issue, though it might be a source of delay. The question is what is included in the contract price and the policy of the service company that actually does the roadside call. They are independent cpontractors and decide how to charge for any extra services. Some charge extra for everything above and beyond showing up to change a mounted spare. Others may do a variety of tire-related extras at little or no extra charge.

That is actually a more accurate statement Gary. Good clarification. Hopefully Coachnet gets back to me with all the minor details. An actual copy of the coverage would be nice. The stuff found online does not go into the specifics. They all sound great on the surface. Have to dig into the paperwork to find which is really better.

CoachNet and SafeRide programs are the most popular for a reason. Check both. We decided to go with CoachNet due to the number of happy customers among our friends. Both will supply some troubleshooting advice if needed also. You might need more than just tire and towing service.

They all sound great on the surface. Have to dig into the paperwork to find which is really better.
As you compare the annual costs and the coverages, you need to also consider the probability of needing the things which cost extra, versus the money you would save by getting a lower annual price by paying for those services. I have owned RVs now for more than 40 years. In 23 years with a class A, I paid for one of the road service policies every year. In that time our class A was towed only 1 time. It was extracted when stuck 1 time. In all 23 years we never once had a tire changed, the RV jump started, fuel delivered, or a door unlocked. With Coach Net I also used the phone service support when troubleshooting an RV appliance once. In the 12 years that I have had road service coverage for a truck and travel trailer combination, I have not used any part of the road service at all.

I am still an advocate of keeping a good road service contract because the 1 time that our class A was towed, the truck came from 70+ miles away, towed our motorhome to a Ford shop for repair that was another 40 miles, then returned to home-base that was another 70 miles, for a total of about 180 miles. He left his base at 1 pm and arrived back at base just before 7 pm. For all or this service with Coach Net I just signed the paperwork and there was no cost at all. I asked the driver what the bill would be if I paid it and he estimated it would have run about $1200. This all took place in 2010. If we had put the price of road service into a savings account each year we would have saved money but when you consider the peace of mind from having had it, I would buy it again. Road Service is an insurance policy and like all insurance, the company selling it must charge more in annual fees than it pays out so road service only saves money for those who have major disasters from time to time, but it does protect you from a major expense when problems occur. For these reasons, I do buy road service but I only buy the lest expensive version and plan to pay our of pocket for extras.

Back
Top Bottom