Ink jet printer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just purchased a Brother ink jet printer on eBay today. It’s the exact same make and model printer I have back home.
The ink cartridges are full and fairly new. The seller also gave me another set of new cartridges still sealed.
If I leave them in the printer I’m sure they will just dry up after II go back home to NH.
My question is what the best way for me to remove them and keep them fresh until I get back home. Once home I’ll be able to put them in my home printer when I run out of ink in my home printer.
I was thinking about putting them in individual zip lock bags and maybe keep them in my fridge till I need them. Any idea if that will work or is there a better way. Thanks.

This has actually worked for me. If the ink in the nozzles dries out get a paper towel damp. Very damp. And set the ink cartridge on it nozzles down on the towel for 15-30 minutes. Then dry them off with a clean towel And give them a try. They may not work right for a few pages but more often than not they clear up.

After many ink cartridges went bad I bought a small foot print laser printer for about $100. No color but I don't need color.

I live where the temperatures go over 100 degrees everyday for a couple months and so far the laser keeps printing fine.

Ditto. We’ve carried a laser printer in the motorhome for years. Color units can be found on sale, and are very reasonably priced.

We have a low cost Brother laser printer (monochrome) that we carry in the MH, but rarely need. Toner is much cheaper in the long haul than ink jet ink, and doesn't have the problem with drying up. But even with ink jets, some brands are more of a problem than others. HP and Canon seem to me to be more prone to drying up fairly quickly with light use than Epson does, but that may change with different units or newer ones.

Timely topic for me. I've been largely paperless for a long time but have a desktop size inkjet in the sticks and bricks for the occasional need. In the RV I am contemplating a very compact printer but when I print color is pretty much a necessity.

I had to print a couple of things while I am in transition and went to the local staples type place. I don't do "thumb" drives ad really just dropped in to see my options. Standing at the counter I eMailed the file from my DropBox using my phone and they printed the pages for a few bucks.

The also have large size printing formats capability which will be useful for land plans and building layouts I am making. I am now thinking I can pretty much not have a printer once I find another place in the new area I am in. I can actually send the file in advance and then just pick up the prints. I kinda like that idea.

Same here, I have a small laser printer in the motorhome https://smile.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Wireless-Printer-W2G51A/ sure there is no color, but the print outs don't run if they get wet either, and black and white is usually good enough for the stuff I may print on the road. It's footprint is a bit smaller than a sheet of 8.5 x 14 legal paper and is light enough that I can mount it on top of a disused liquor cabinet that is not much bigger than the printer with high strength velro. The paper trays fold up when not in use, and it supports wifi printing so no need for cords most of the time.

Attachments

• HOM15Wpaper.jpg
    HOM15Wpaper.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1
Yet another one who got frustrated with inkjets. We have a nice Brother color laser at home and an inexpensive B&W HP laser for the motorhome. So nice to just turn it on and print when we need to, no fussing, no wondering if it will work.

We have an Epson ET-2550 cartridge free (ink tanks) ink jet printer in the MH. It sat for 2 years and I had to run the print head clean routine 5 times before it printed perfectly again. Ink refills for the 4 tanks are $15.00 on EBay. I would purchase the same printer again.

Richard

Timely topic for me. I've been largely paperless for a long time but have a desktop size inkjet in the sticks and bricks for the occasional need. In the RV I am contemplating a very compact printer but when I print color is pretty much a necessity.

I had to print a couple of things while I am in transition and went to the local staples type place. I don't do "thumb" drives ad really just dropped in to see my options. Standing at the counter I eMailed the file from my DropBox using my phone and they printed the pages for a few bucks.

The also have large size printing formats capability which will be useful for land plans and building layouts I am making. I am now thinking I can pretty much not have a printer once I find another place in the new area I am in. I can actually send the file in advance and then just pick up the prints. I kinda like that idea.
Walmart does printing from emailed files, I know of pictures, they may beable to accomodate your requirements. Worth asking, maybe.

I just purchased a Brother ink jet printer on eBay today. It’s the exact same make and model printer I have back home.
The ink cartridges are full and fairly new. The seller also gave me another set of new cartridges still sealed.
If I leave them in the printer I’m sure they will just dry up after II go back home to NH.
My question is what the best way for me to remove them and keep them fresh until I get back home. Once home I’ll be able to put them in my home printer when I run out of ink in my home printer.
I was thinking about putting them in individual zip lock bags and maybe keep them in my fridge till I need them. Any idea if that will work or is there a better way. Thanks.
Why not just bring the printer back and forth between the two places? Not that big I expect and it solves the problem. Of course, now you have a spare.

Why not just bring the printer back and forth between the two places? Not that big I expect and it solves the problem. Of course, now you have a spare.
because there more chances of damaging it and the car had so much stuff in it this past fall, couldn’t get another pair of shoes in it. Much easier to transport cartridges back and forth. The printer is about 15” square and about 7” high so it’s not that small.

The most important thing is to set up a proper temperature during the trip. I think 68 degrees temperature would be enough to preserve them. Some people also recommend moistening the cartridges now and then. You can find some guides on the internet which can explain to you how to do it properly. It's a nice trick, imho.

When I got my Samsung ML printer, I had some issues with keeping its ink cartridges alive. They were drying out very fast, but the problem wasn't in the wrong product. So I had to change my behavior and be a more careful user. It helped pretty much.

Last edited by a moderator:
On option is HP printers or others where the print head is the print cartridge... On these printers you can remove the cart, snap the seal cover back on it, Baggie it (Zip Lock) and store in a cool place .

The most important thing is to set up a proper temperature during the trip. I think 68 degrees temperature would be enough to preserve them. Some people also recommend moistening the cartridges now and then. You can find some guides on the internet which can explain to you how to do it properly. It's a nice trick, imho.

When I got my Samsung ML printer at mrdepot.ca I had some issues with keeping its ink cartridges alive. They were drying out very fast, but the problem wasn't in the wrong product. So I had to change my behavior and be a more careful user. It helped pretty much.

Moistening the cartridges is the best option I see. I don't know how you can "set up a proper temperature" during the trip. If you have your car - it's ok, If you travel by plane/train/bus - it's almost impossible.

We got tired of dealing with Inkjets. We just put docs on a USB Stick and go to the nearest Office/max/OfficeDepot, or FedEx, or UPS store, and pay the fee for printing them.

We just bought a laser printer that stays in the motorhome. Inkjets were awful expensive if I only got to use it a couple of times before the cartridges dry out. We tried the store print route, and we were often too far out of a town to make it convenient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom