Inspecting 1994 Coach - Rust Concerns?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jljeeper

The inside and outside body is very nice. This guy wants top dollar for his coach. Upon chassis inspection I found concerns about the amount and severeness of the chassis rust. Should I be? It looks bad to me. Should I stay away or deduct for this?

Any opinions?
Thanks

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

I t is hard to determine the extent of the rust from your photo.  It is not uncommon to see the oil pan rusted especially if the coach was operated during winter in an area that likes to salt the roads.  From your photo though I would be concerned with what appears to be an oil or fluid leak from one of the hoses or from above the hose and dripping onto the hose.  I would certainly investigate this.

I echo what Ron said. Remember, all 7 of those tires, since they are original, are UNSAFE and must be replaced.  Have you checked the book value.  Start by offering 35% less. That's what a dealer would do. Very few motorhomes sell anywhere close to book. You might check these ssites for comperable coaches.

http://www.motorhomesusa.com/used.htm
http://www.rv-online.com/

Chet

Wherever there are rust blisters on sheetmetal like the muffler, pan etc., they should be probed to see the depth of the rust.  Obviously if you punch through the part must be replaced.  Possibly just wirebrushing the very worst looking ones would be enough for a mechanic to tell.  This MH should be gone over with a fine toothed comb by an excellent mechanic before buying OR get one H... of  deal!  VBG  OH, yes.  A good RV Tech should go through the coach part too!

Chet18013 said:
Have you checked the book value.? Start by offering 35% less. That's what a dealer would do. Very few motorhomes sell anywhere close to book. You might check these ssites for comperable coaches.

http://www.motorhomesusa.com/used.htm
http://www.rv-online.com/

Chet

Wow the motorhomeusa is way higher than NADA. No wonder they sell below book. The 1994 Southwind on Motorhomeusa says it's book is $58,500.00 and NADA has it at $33,500 Average retail. Even if you add a ton of options it doesn't come close to Motorhomeusa's book value. Why is that?

People can put any price they like on their motorhome when they sell it thru an online service.  Some of them haven't yet received a dose of reality.  ::)

As for why somebody overstated the book value, one can only conjecture. Probably just error in reading the book and determinng the value - or perhaps using a very old book.

Thanks Gary

It does look as if the online service (motorhomeusa) is assigning the book values. Not the actual seller. You would think they would know better as far as reality, They claim they use Kelly and NADA and market information to arrive at their "Book Values"

Jon

Jon,

A couple things I noticed from the pic's: In addition to the hose that Ron mentioned, there appears to be a leaking oil pan gasket or engine seal. The gasket is no big deal, but a seal may be. Propane tank is pretty badly rusted; check it carefully. U-joint doesn't appear to have been lubed any time recently, so tie rods and upper and lower control arms and ball joints probably haven't been either. Mechanic needs to check for excessive wear. Finally, the brake rotor has rust all over it. This can happen if the unit sits for a while without being used, and it may just be a light surface rust which will wear off after a few hundred miles. On the other hand, the worst rust is usually UNDER the pads where you can't see it. If it's severe, the coach may not move at all initially, and once it has broken loose, you may get a pulsing brake pedal and brake grabbing when it hits those spots on the rotors, and may require turning of the rotors to get rid of it.
Not trying to scare you, but check everything carefully. Oh yes, and check the date and condition of the batteries; they'll probably need replacement too. 

Thanks everyone

I have heard enough that I am steering clear of this coach. The guy won't negotiate on price either. He doesn't believe there is anything wrong with his brand new six year old tires.
I want to thank everyone here who has educated me on what to look out for. I'm confident I will find the right coach with patience.

Probably a very good decision on your part.  Looks like it would take quite a bit of time and money to bring that coach up to reasonable condition.

Just buying the tires would be expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom