Installed a Deer Deflector on our Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memtb

The guard was built by ArcRite, out of Del Rio, Tx.
We’ve had one on our 4Runner for years, and we’re very impressed by the quality, so,when we got the little Class C....it seemed to be a “no brainer”!
I did the installation today....only bleeding from one location! With some help from the DW, a Kubota tractor, a pry bar or two, and a few “professional” tirades of colorful expletives....it is done.
This is one heavy duty guard, short of an elk or moose.....it should save the radiator. A very nice thing to have in rural (no cell service) Wyoming, on a sub-zero night!

https://imgur.com/a/TeyiVNa

You are a very smart man. I spent many sunsets at Oxbow Bend in the Grand Tetons. Driving back to the campground after sunset was nerve wracking. I would drive about 30 miles per hour with my brights on and I would creep around corners. My van or my motorhome would not stand a chance against a 1500 pound moose or an elk. I had enough damage to my windshield when I had a Great Blue Heron fly into my windshield in Michigan.

Memtb said:
We?ve had one on our 4Runner for years, and we?re very impressed by the quality, so,when we got the little Class C....it seemed to be a ?no brained?!
I did the installation today....only bleeding from one location! With some help from the DW, a Kubota tractor, a pry bar or two, and a few ?professional? tirades of colorful expletives....it is done.
This is one heavy duty guard, short of an elk or moose.....it should save the radiator. A very nice thing to have in rural (no cell service) Wyoming, on a sub-zero night!

How about some pictures? 

Passed an elk on the side of the road on the way down 93 towards Vegas a few days ago - damage to elk was significant. Involved vehicle not available for inspection, but damage believed significant as well

Memtb said:
  Rene T,  I had a heck of a time getting a photo on the post. I hope that the link I put on, will open for you!

Nice looking setup, although wouldn't work for PA deer - they are specially trained to t-bone car doors.

Memtb said:
  Rene T,  I had a heck of a time getting a photo on the post. I hope that the link I put on, will open for you!
The images were way too large to post here. I resized them for you. It is a stunning looking job. What did that cost?

Attachments

• xzYAWFI.jpg
    xzYAWFI.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 73
  • uOfSXnK.jpg
    uOfSXnK.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 43
That looks great, like it was built specifically for your vehicle! I want to install one on my class A before we head west.

SeilerBird said:
The images were way too large to post here. I resized them for you. It is a stunning looking job. What did that cost?

Thanks for fixing the photos....this computer stuff is way above my pay grade!
  The cost was around $750.00 plus shipping. The prices vary according to what you add to the base model....ours is pretty much the full package. If you order one, and have them install it...it?s less expensive than the shipping fee. But.....you have to find yourself in Del Rio.
  I installed ours...but it was ?no? picnic!

RVMommaTo6 said:
That looks great, like it was built specifically for your vehicle! I want to install one on my class A before we head west.

Thanks! They are custom built for vehicle model. They?ve probably never built one for a Class A, but there?s always a first time. Though....you may be ?camped-out? in Del Rio for a while! With no jig, and it being strictly custom....it could be expensive and rather a rather lengthy process.  It?s only a phone call...check them out!

Memtb said:
    Thanks! They are custom built for vehicle model. They?ve probably never built one for a Class A, but there?s always a first time. Though....you may be ?camped-out? in Del Rio for a while! With no jig, and it being strictly custom....it could be expensive and rather a rather lengthy process.  It?s only a phone call...check them out!
Well I guess that explains that lol, I thought you just buy them and throw them on. Lol learn something new every day. Of course here I learn more than my fair share, this forum has been so educational.

Memtb said:
We?ve had one on our 4Runner for years, and we?re very impressed by the quality, so,when we got the little Class C....it seemed to be a ?no brainer?!
I did the installation today....only bleeding from one location! With some help from the DW, a Kubota tractor, a pry bar or two, and a few ?professional? tirades of colorful expletives....it is done.

https://imgur.com/a/TeyiVNa

We lived in the Big Piney/Marbleton area for a couple of years waaaaaay back in the pre-cell phone days. Just about everyone who had lived there very long had at least one "I hit a deer/elk" story...none were very pretty. Elk and moose can be very bad because, in addition to their weight, they have longer legs...so when you hit them, they tend to come right over the hood and into the windshield.

Nice job.

This looks like a nice idea for a Class C, truck or SUV.

On my current trip my DW hit a deer on Sauvie Island near Portland, OR with our Ford CMax toad. I had removed the Roadmaster crossbar at the campground or I am sure it would have bent the assembly. Fortunately the damage was minimal to our toad.

BoomerD said:
We lived in the Big Piney/Marbleton area for a couple of years waaaaaay back in the pre-cell phone days. Just about everyone who had lived there very long had at least one "I hit a deer/elk" story...none were very pretty. Elk and moose can be very bad because, in addition to their weight, they have longer legs...so when you hit them, they tend to come right over the hood and into the windshield.

Nice job.

Thanks!  When we?re you in the Big Piney/Marbleton area....my wife was born and raised in Kemmerer!

Memtb said:
    Thanks!  When we?re you in the Big Piney/Marbleton area....my wife was born and raised in Kemmerer!

ummm....<puts on thinking cap> 85-87 I think...we were there for the big Exxon gasification project near LaBarge. There was a simultaneous job at Opal.

BoomerD said:
ummm....<puts on thinking cap> 85-87 I think...we were there for the big Exxon gasification project near LaBarge. There was a simultaneous job at Opal.

I transferred from Baton Rouge, with Exxon to the gas plant  (at Opal), in August of ‘85. Bought a home in Kemmerer, met my future wife in ‘88! I only knew a few people (Exxon personnel) at the field LaBarge! Though, I spent a lot of time up in that area during hunting season!

<Hmmm> You've given me something else to think about with my situation.

I have enough CCC left over to haul my new 450 lbs motorcycle on the rear rack, but it shifts a lot of weight from the front axle to the rear.

I'm looking for ways to put about 150~200 lbs back on the front to keep the steering from getting "squirrelly".

I was thinking about a front bumper hitch and cargo rack. This looks promising.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom