Installing a ceiling fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1carguy

Hi, I've got a Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK 5th wheel that I'd like to install a ceiling fan in the rear living area. Most of the RV fans are 12v right? My concern is that I know its an aluminum frame trailer but I have no idea of what is under the ceiling panels or where I can securely mount a fan. I'm certain that the thin ceiling panels would not be firm enough hold a spinning electric fan. I really don't want to attempt removing ceiling panels to look, I'm afraid I'd end up damaging the panels if I tried to remove them. Also I suspect that there would be very little space in the ceiling or walls to fish wires down to an electrical source. There are several 12v lights in the ceiling. Can the power be picked up off of one of them? I'm sure this is a project that's been done before so any tips for mounting and running wires would be appreciated.

Are you talking about a vent fan or a ceiling fan like in a house? Ceiling fans in most rv's are 120 volt a/c just like in a house. There are mounts that fit in the vent cutout made just for that. That moves the fan about 3 or 4" higher to provide more headroom.

My fiver came with a ceiling fan in the kitchen. I wish I could just give it to you since I hate the thing. Very poor idea to put a ceiling fan in my fiver. I much prefer desk fans. They are easier to turn off and on and more local in their effect. Easy to point where I want them to blow.

You can get either 12vdc or 120vac ceiling fans, so that part is up to you. But what the ceiling is made of is anybody guess. You are gonna have to open it up to install anyway, so get over your fear and take a look. Or abandon the project.

The ceiling lights are probably on wall switches. but if not, there may be a 12v  supply lead up there and near by. If there is a roof vent fan, that might be a source too. If there is an a/c unit near, that will definitely have a constant hot 120v line and that could be used to run a 120v fan.

The biggest problem with ceiling fans in an RV is height. You will want a "ceiling hugger" style fan.

You may want to call Jayco Customer Service to see if there is any "hidden" support" for a fan in the ceiling.  The worst they can say is I don't know.

kdbgoat said:
Are you talking about a vent fan or a ceiling fan like in a house? Ceiling fans in most rv's are 120 volt a/c just like in a house. There are mounts that fit in the vent cutout made just for that. That moves the fan about 3 or 4" higher to provide more headroom.
The bedroom ceiling fan in my Beaver was 12V DC, as is the one a friend installed in his old Newmar.

I keep seeing ads.. Don't have it but I keep seering ads.. May get one i I have enough in the bank of amazon (That's dot com)

https://www.amazon.com/Walabot-Imager-Android-Smartphones-Compatible/dp/B06Y29NXKK

I don't have enough yet

in addition my smart phone, and very likely yours. may be able to detect metal.  and give an indication of how "Close" it is. now on an Metal body it will DETECT metal. but if you slide it along the ceiling and suddenly the indication gets much stronger.. STUD or RAFTER. whatever you wish to call it.

I put a ceiling fan in our motorhome's bedroom using this LED light kit and fan from:
https://www.rvandmarine.com/product-category/rv-recreational-parts-products/12-volt-rv-recess-ceiling-fan-bezel-with-led/

It's works nice but the LED's are above the fan so at night if you are using both you get a bit of a disco effect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom