installing a propane tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beerman

I need a new propane tank for my class A, they wont fill it again due to its age. Are they easy to replace? or should I leave it to  pro. I would hate to blow up my RV.

I/m not brave enough to tackle propane.  I always leave that to experts.  That's some dangerous stuff. 1 poof and you're gone.

How old is it?  I've never heard of a fixed age limit on the ASME tanks installed in motorhomes.  The DOT regulations on tank age apply only to DOT-certified portable LPG bottles. I don't believe there is any requirement to re-certify an ASME LP storage tank in an RV.

Canada, however, may be a different story. I've heard that B.C., for example, requires a re-certify when an older motorhome is sold (but never as long as it remains in the same owners hands).

Replacing an entire tank is not a big deal, except that it is heavy and awkward. It's strictly a mechanical job if you purchase a new or rebuilt complete tank, with all the valves and floats already installed.  Rebuilding the innards, e.g. fill valve, float, overfill relief valve, etc. is a job best handled by a trained LPG technician, even though it is not especially difficult. Better safe than sorry, though.

My tank is from a 91 ultrastar, I took it to get filled and they told me it was older the 12 years old so I would need a new tank or have it tested. I figured it would be easier just to have a new one put in since I dont know anyplace that tests them.
It has a little rust on the outside where the paint has chipped but does not leak that I knoe of.
Thanks
Brian

To find a test site, ask any propane technician at any park, Flying-J or other re-fueling spot who supplies them with Propane, Odds are the manager of the facility can provide you with their phone number, and if they are not themselves a testing site, they can tell you who is, since they have tanks that need to be re-cert-ed as well.

Simple procedure, Takes very little time, Not sure if it can be done mounted but the test site will know (Think it can in most cases)

I'm like Gary I don't think they guy is giving you the right info for a tank mounted in a motorhome.  Check with another propane outfit.

Beerman said:
My tank is from a 91 ultrastar, I took it to get filled and they told me it was older the 12 years old so I would need a new tank or have it tested. I figured it would be easier just to have a new one put in since I dont know anyplace that tests them.
It has a little rust on the outside where the paint has chipped but does not leak that I knoe of.
Thanks
Brian

Brian:

I am quite sure Gary is right and the DOT tanks permanently mounted in RV's are exempt from the ASME requirements for portable tanks. If your tank appears to be on good shape you might check with your State Fire Marshall before spending any money.

My tank is from a 91 ultrastar, I took it to get filled and they told me it was older the 12 years old so I would need a new tank or have it tested.

Let me be repeat. As long as you are talking about a horizontaly mounted, permamently installed tank in a motorhome, it is an ASME-specification tank and does not require periodic re-certification in the USA. The 12 year re-certification applies only to DOT-spec portable tanks, the sort that you see on a BBQ grill.

Go somewhere else and get it filled. You do not need re-certification nor a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom